Newbie question

sand oh I agree its CRAZY. I would never even consider buying it at regular price. but it worked out to something like 7 cents (which is normal price) for each butt and the crimper was close to free. so i couldnt resist. but it feels good, LOL.

edit, hell maybe it was 4 cents, i cant remember, LOL

For you pros, this may seem trivial, obvious, and a waste of time; but this kind of feedback is VERY important for us newbies. Even if we have just a little bit of experience with this stuff (mainly by trial and error) hearing from others helps.

Thank you!!!

Thanks for all the responses. This has been a very good learn. I am going to fumble my way through my home and then my apprentices home. I am sure I will be back for more. A quick question on the elk ez product and the caddx board. Is there a way to use a simple caddx board and turn lights on if there is a smoke or general alarm, ie is there any way to send x10 or upb signals with a generic security board or do you have to go to a Elk ez8 board?

Thanks for all the responses. This has been a very good learn. I am going to fumble my way through my home and then my apprentices home. I am sure I will be back for more. A quick question on the elk ez product and the caddx board. Is there a way to use a simple caddx board and turn lights on if there is a smoke or general alarm, ie is there any way to send x10 or upb signals with a generic security board or do you have to go to a Elk ez8 board?
I "think" that Caddx makes a relay output board that will work with their NX8 series and that has an X-10 output (using a powerline interface such as a TW523 or PSC05.

But given the choice between the two, I would go with the Elk if nothing more than the ease of programming it (compared to the Caddx). (FYI, I've programmed a Caddx NX8e and an Elk M1-Gold) :)

I "think" that Caddx makes a relay output board that will work with their NX8 series and that has an X-10 output (using a powerline interface such as a TW523 or PSC05.

But given the choice between the two, I would go with the Elk if nothing more than the ease of programming it (compared to the Caddx). (FYI, I've programmed a Caddx NX8e and an Elk M1-Gold) :)
Are the ademco or napco "cost effective" systems easier to program? If I just wanted to get low voltage smoke detectors working on a new board, what would be the least expensive way out. I have a friend who has an old security system and the smokes have to be replaced along with the board. What would be the best low cost choice if it was mainly for fire protection and no home automation?

I have no experience with Ademco or Napco.

Looking at their 2007 catalog it seems you can get a Caddx NX8e board with transformer and NX148E keypad (not sure if the mounting box and RJ31 jack comes with it or not) from Worthington's for $173 plus shipping. (Again, these boards are not the easiest to program! :)

BSR Edit: Note the above price may not be applicable as you need an account to order from Worthingtons.

Back