Newbie tryng to enroll GE 60-688-95 sensors

Rick_G

Hello- I'm new to the Elk

My system so far:

1: Main board JP3 not terminated

2: 1ea. retro keypad hooked to the main board bus, JP2 terminated.

3: 1ea. M1DBHR Data Bus Hub hooked to the main boards bus, JP1,2,3,4 are terminated.

4: 1ea. M1XSP Lighting, Thermo and Serial Expander, hooked to branch 2 of the DBHR, JP2 terminated.

5: 1ea. M1XRF Wireless Receiver and Input Expander, hooked to branch 1 of the DBHR, address 2, JP1 terminated.

6: 1ea. M1XEP Ethernet interface, forced static IP, this is what RP is using to talk to the M1.

7. 5ea. GE 60-688-95 wireless micro sensors

8. 2ea. Sentrol 5885 Motion/ Glass Break

All data bus hub devices are enrolled and showing up in RP, Keypad T1 Addr=01, Zone Expandr T2 Addr=02, SerialPExpdr T5 Addr=01. I do get “KP1 Addr -> 1 Lost Comm” message displayed on the LCD during the enrolling process. I’ve tried changing the keypads address, but the message still happens just with the new address. I haven’t been able to figure this one out yet, jumpers?

I’ve been trying to activate my wireless sensors without any luck. The XRF originally showed up in RP as 16 hardwired zones. I deleted the hardwired expander then added a new wireless 16 zone expander starting at 17. I enabled the zone, entered the Tx ID, Normal supervision, pretty much followed the video. Now what?

My installation manual doesnt have the 2G after the M1XRF, I can’t find in on the PCB either. Do I have the right expander for these sensors?

Thanks- Rick

Update: The box the wireless receiver came in says M1XRF2G on it, GE 144 wireless GE crystal transmitters. The Box label says firmware Ver: 1.0.4..1.0.8.

Silly question, but what firmware is on the M1? Is it the 4.4.x series or the 5.0.x series? The M1XRF requires the later.

Hello- Not silly for me!

M1 Gold

Hardware= 0.11
Boot Version= 3.2.2
Firmware Version= 4.4.10
Voice list= 0.8

The status light on the receiver is 1 second orange.

Could the batteries in the transmitters all be dead, I don't see an off on switch?

Thanks- Rick

Hello-

The LED's on the XRF are responding to a change of state of the mag switches now. Don't know what I did differently?

I have 2 transmitters on zone 17 & 18. The LCD keypad now says "not ready" "intrusion trouble" "violated zone 17" or "18" regardless of the state the transmitter is in.

Rick

Hello- Not silly for me!

M1 Gold

Hardware= 0.11
Boot Version= 3.2.2
Firmware Version= 4.4.10
Voice list= 0.8

Thanks- Rick

Rick, to make sure I understand, you're M1 is using 4.4 firmware and you want to use the Elk M1 XRF receiver? You need to flash your M1 to use the 5.0 series firmware that is required with the M1 XRF.

Refer to the "important note" on the cover of the XRF Manual:

IMPORTANT NOTE:
ELK-M1G and M1EZ8 Controls MUST be operating application firmware ver. 5.0.12 or higher
in order to work with the M1XRF Receiver. Refer to the M1Dealer website for update ’flash’ files.

Gcimmino is totally right. To use the ELK RF receiver, you need to upgrade the M1 to software version 5.0.12. When you do the upgrade all previous programming in the M1 will be erased, so make sure you have saved your settings in ELKRP. You can use an ELKRP template file that supports the 5.0.12 software to get started in the software upgrade.

You should only have two terminating resistors on the RS-485 data bus. Look at page 7 in the installation manual. With the M1 power turned off, measure the resistance between Data A and Data B on the data bus. It should be around 65 ohms +/- 10 ohms. If it reads below 40 ohms you have too many terminating jumpers in place. Above 100 ohms and you have too few terminating jumpers in place.

Welcome aboard, we are here to help.

Basic knowledge prevents the appearance of a total disaster! :(

Hello-

It was the firmware, Doh! Now I have groups like the "The Smith's typical Elk Wireless" sample database. All transmitters are working.

Thanks gcimmino for catching that. No matter how many times I RTFM, I find myself missing stuff.

About the "KP1 Addr-> 1 Lost Comm." error and Jumpers.

This is where I'm at on the data bus. :(

1. Main board has 2 devices in parallel hooked to the Bus, 1 keypad and 1 DBHR. Since there are 2 devices on the hub, JP3 is removed from the mainboard, JP2 is jumpered on the keypad and JP1 in jumpered on the hub, giving 2 resistors for that loop.

3. Branch 1 of the hub has only one device (XRF) on it, so I have to jumper the XRF JP1 and jumper JP2 on the hub giving 2 resitors for that loop.

4. Branch 2 of the hub has only one device (XSP) on it, so I have to jumper the XSP JP1 and jumper JP3 on the hub giving 2 resitors on that loop.

Spanky should the measured resistance on each branch of the hub also be between 40 and 100 Ohms?

I have had this "comm" problem since the first time I powered the main board up with only the keypad hooked to the bus. Initially JP3 on the mainboard was teminated and JP2 on the keypad were terminated.

Thanks- Rick

Where is the keypad, at the end of a wire run? Was it always there? Sounds like an intermittent connection. If it did it with kpd only on a short wire to control for bench testing, maybe not, but if it was always at the end of your wire run I would check the connections. Did you use 'beenies'? I have had intermittent problems like that before with them - check your bus connections at the kpd...

The resistance as measured on the controls data a and b terminals should be around 65 ohms.

Hello-

Steve- No beenies. The keypad is on the end of a 4ft piece of 22/4, I am still in bench test mode.

Jumpered as in post #4, I am getting 65, +- .5 Ohms at all AB locations.

I've tried new wire between the KP and MB, still same problem. KP seems to fuction properly, I'll take a closer look at the terminal blocks and connections.

Rick

Do I have to do anything with the blue and brown wire on the keypad, the instructions say optional?

Thanks- Rick

Nope, blue and brown are for a zone and output, just cap them. Usually its bad wiring on white or green (data wires) that cause that. Only other thing I know to suggest is to check the address and re-enroll it. The first keypad should enroll itself but re-enroll to be sure. The resistance on the bus is perfect. Or (and its opposite whats normally done to test), but you could put the keypad on another branch of the hub and just have the hub on the control, but I would try that last.

Hello-

Steve- I re-terminated and ran new wire to everything, put the KP on the bus, tried main board with just the keypad attached, I still get the lost comm KP 1 when enrolling.

The keypad seem to work fine other then the Comm error when enrolling. I'll order another keypad Monday to help me isolate the problem.

Thanks- Rick

fyi: I flashed the firmware, same version, just in case- still Lost Comm error.

Back