Not even in new home yet, but Elk and CocoonTech save the day!

wired-up

We are scheduled to move in our new home in 7 days. I have my elk m1g installed and most everything hooked up. I have it running to notify me by phone of events (first perimeter opening in am or any at night (keeping up with when subcontractors start work or break-in) and dialing in to reset the thermostat when the subs crank it down or leave it on at night. I had just installed all my water sensors last week. The plumber installed my elk water valve today (one day too late). I got a call on my cell while heading home from work that a water alarm was going off under the kitchen sink. I thought I might be having my first false alarm but on my way to the house the elk called back to report a water alarm going off under the dishwasher. I arrived and found water pouring from a fitting that had broken under the kitchen sink. It had already leaked enough to buckle a few board of the pine floor, having run out the back of the cabinet down to the floor and under the floor (setting off the dishwasher alarm). So we will sand a few boards and refinish that small section. I hate to think what would have happened had that water ran all night!
Thanks for all your help everyone
David

I guess this supports the statistic that a home is more likely to have flood than break in. The valve will really save the day next time (hopefully you never will have a next time but you never know).

My valve has stopped exactly what you had when our kitchen sink had a leak. Just wiped it up with a paper towel and we were done.

Wired-up,

Can you tell me about your setup? Are you using a WaterBug?
I'm using an Elk M1G with water sensors from GRI ($3.50 each) and the ELK WSV water valve. The Elk valve closes whenever any leak is detected ( less than 1/16th inch of water will set it off). I have (as Elk suggested) put a toggle for the water valve on the keypad function key.
After experimenting with the Elk Water valve in my 2 story new home, I am thinking about adding a cheap sprinkler valve on an external hose that will open when the Elk valve shuts off the water supply. This would be a pressure relief that would drain the remaining water in the house pipes to the outside instead of adding water to the leaking location. When the elk shuts off, I can get 1-2 gallons of water that will drain from the upstairs pipes into a downstairs tub. An extra gallon of water inside can be quite expensive in the wrong location.
David

Wired-up,

Can you tell me about your setup? Are you using a WaterBug?
I'm using an Elk M1G with water sensors from GRI ($3.50 each) and the ELK WSV water valve. The Elk valve closes whenever any leak is detected ( less than 1/16th inch of water will set it off). I have (as Elk suggested) put a toggle for the water valve on the keypad function key.
After experimenting with the Elk Water valve in my 2 story new home, I am thinking about adding a cheap sprinkler valve on an external hose that will open when the Elk valve shuts off the water supply. This would be a pressure relief that would drain the remaining water in the house pipes to the outside instead of adding water to the leaking location. When the elk shuts off, I can get 1-2 gallons of water that will drain from the upstairs pipes into a downstairs tub. An extra gallon of water inside can be quite expensive in the wrong location.
David

So these are hard-wired straight to the Elk from the sensors? Which model?

it was a special sale they had for a short time. many here took advantage of it. I picked up 20. now i want more but it kills me to pay that much more after being spoiled. LOL

Interesting. We normally sell a lot of the 2600 sensors but I just checked and relized that we never put the 2800 sensors on the site... I'll get them up there.

Yeah, as far as that price of $3.50 each - clearly was a typo because that's way below what they are paying for them. Guess they caught on when a bunch of orders flew in.

Back