NV5000 And CC DVR Questions

zpollock

I'm working on improving my security cam setup and have been weighing a PC based versus dedicated DVR solution. Unfortunately, some break-ins in my neighborhood (one directly behind me) in the last 24 hours have pushed this to the top of the list. I know that there are several threads on the NV5000, and I've been reading and looking at it for a while now, but I have few specific questions that I haven't found concrete answers to.

Here's what I want:

1) Must support analog cams (I already have several that I intend to use).
2) Must integrate well with CQC, which means that I need to be able to access the cameras viewing page by feeding it the login info. No manual login required.
3) I'd like to be able to get an alarm/output notification from the video system upon video motion detection (desired, not an absolute must have).
4) iPhone friendly viewing ability is a plus.

Here's what I know:

NV5000
Pro - Easily allows expansion beyond 4 cams.
Pro - Allows use of existing drive pool space (assuming I can run it on my master server).
Pro - Seems to work well with CQC based on other user reports.
Pro - Less expensive than a dedicated CC DVR.
Pro - Allows addition of IP cams down the road.
Con - Places additional load on server.
Con - PC based (less stable than a black box recorder).
Con - Requires an expensive I/O box add on to get the alarm output on motion. (Edit - it looks like there are two ways to interface I/O, and the second option is much cheaper.)
Con - Software does not appear to have automation API, and there is no hardware method for external control such as serial or IR.

Dedicated CC DVR
Pro - Rock solid stability.
Pro - Exterior control through serial and/or IR.
Pro - Alarm output based on video motion.
Pro - Low power consumption.
Pro - Minimal configuration and overhead.
Con - Jumps significantly in price if you exceed four cameras.
Con - Typically does not allow easy scripted interfacing without a login (there must be some that do though).
Con - Requires dedicated drive space.
Con - Most require Flash, ActiveX, or other iPhone unfriendly methods of viewing.

Here are my questions:

1) For you NV5000 users, do you run it on a dedicated system, or on your HA server? I recently built a new low power consumption CQC/Sage server that is 2.6GHz dual core with 4GB of RAM and 3TB of drive space. I'm not recording with Sage, or transcoding for playback, it's just a media repository for ripped DVDs and playback will be through HD Extenders, so Sage shouldn't present much load. Is it safe to assume that I could safely run the NV5000 on this box as well? Given the low cost of HD space these days I'll be recording 24/7 with a rolling buffer, so it's critical that the server not be overloaded. I don't want a second security PC, but that's far preferable to stutters in the HA system, DVD playback, or security recording.

2) Can you existing users verify that there is in fact no way of interfacing with the Avermedia app (short of EventGhost or other app control) to select cams to view, etc.?

3) The hardware I/O add-on for the NV5000 is more than the going rate of the card itself, which is a hefty price since I only want a single digital out to know when the cams sense motion in the video. Has anyone experimented with the expansion header to see if that can be obtained without the breakout box, or with getting this trigger through software? (Edit - it looks like there are two ways to interface I/O, and the second option is much cheaper.)

4) For those viewing the NV5000 output in CQC (or any other package), is it possible to link directly to a particular camera feed, or do you run the control applet inside a web page and use the software's controls? Can automatic login be scripted?

5) Is the Avermedia application iPhone friendly?

6) Does anyone know of a particular brand or model of security DVR that allows direct login and camera selection as part of the URL without requiring manual intervention or embedding the control application in your GUI?

Thanks in advance for any and all insight.

Zac

1) For you NV5000 users, do you run it on a dedicated system, or on your HA server? I recently built a new low power consumption CQC/Sage server that is 2.6GHz dual core with 4GB of RAM and 3TB of drive space. I'm not recording with Sage, or transcoding for playback, it's just a media repository for ripped DVDs and playback will be through HD Extenders, so Sage shouldn't present much load. Is it safe to assume that I could safely run the NV5000 on this box as well? Given the low cost of HD space these days I'll be recording 24/7 with a rolling buffer, so it's critical that the server not be overloaded. I don't want a second security PC, but that's far preferable to stutters in the HA system, DVD playback, or security recording.
It's not a load issue, AverMedia software won't install if there's non-CCTV cards in the system. But, since you say you won't record with SageTV, you may not have an issue. I had to use a dedicated system for that reason since I do record.

2) Can you existing users verify that there is in fact no way of interfacing with the Avermedia app (short of EventGhost or other app control) to select cams to view, etc.?

4) For those viewing the NV5000 output in CQC (or any other package), is it possible to link directly to a particular camera feed, or do you run the control applet inside a web page and use the software's controls? Can automatic login be scripted?
2 - Incorrect (kinda). I have html files that each point at 1 camera so i can choose which camera from inside CQC. See this screen for an example, the buttons on the left pick which camera.
4- see above. I have custom HTML so that there's no software controls visible. Automatically logs in, too.
5) Is the Avermedia application iPhone friendly?
eww, iPhone, yechhy, me no know

I have a question regarding the Sage server and the AverMedia card.

IVB - you stated that the AverMedia software wont install if the PC has non-CCTV cards installed. I assume this wouldnt be an issue if you are using external devices for Sage (HDHomerun, HD-PVR) - other than a fight of storage space between the Sage library and your CCTV storage space??

I had originally planned to have 2 Servers (1 for Sage and the other for CCTV) - Sage streaming to HD Extenders only. However, it would certainly be cheaper if it could all be done on a single machine.

It's not a load issue, AverMedia software won't install if there's non-CCTV cards in the system. But, since you say you won't record with SageTV, you may not have an issue. I had to use a dedicated system for that reason since I do record.

I assume that only applies to other types of capture cards, correct?

eww, iPhone, yechhy, me no know

I'm not a Macophile; don't even own an iPod, but the appeal of the iPhone is hard to resist.

I assume that only applies to other types of capture cards, correct?

Thats what I was assuming (i.e. Hauppauge HVR-2250). I ASSUME external (network) capture cards that record to the server's HDDs would be fine. However, I have no idea what kind of load this puts on the server - writing data from both devices (network and CCTV capture cards), and if it would be an issue.

Load and storage isn't an issue at all (based on CPU type). You mention a 2.6GHz dual core, I would think that would be fine. Not sure how it would feel about the HDHR, and whether that's a workaround to get SageTV & Avermedia on the same box, but let us know :)

IIRC, I believe a standard 640x480 camera streams at roughly 1MB/s (MPEG-4 Part 2). So even with ~4 cameras I dont think that would really impact HDD write speed if you are using SATA II (3GB/s) vs. what multiple streams of TV content from a HDHR or HD-PVR would require.

I obviously havent tried this yet, so I have no idea what kind of results you would get. What I would be concerned with is handling Sage library and CCTV library on the same machine and having some overhead space for DVD/BR library (as well as expansion) - also assuming you want some RAID setup for mirroring purposes. HDD pricing has certainly come down a lot in recent years, but all of that data is going to add up to a lot of space.

At the moment, I am looking at using a standard ATX case, and a MOBO which has 6 SATA II ports and RAID built in. 1 SATA port will be dedicated to a BR drive, another probably to a smaller C: drive for OS. (1) for 2TB storage and the another as a mirror. This will leave me with 2 remaining SATA ports for future expansion of another 2TB of usable space (assuming the additional 2TB mirror). I certainly dont foresee exceeding a 4TB storage space with my DVD/BR library and DVR content.

I would ideally like to have enough storage space on the CCTV side to have a minimum of 7-14 days of recorded video. Assuming, worse case scenario, I would want to retrieve footage of a break-in that occurred while I was on vacation. POSSIBLY not necessary if you are alerted on forced entry and could remote into the system to retrieve the data, but I would imagine I would probably want more than 1-2 days anyway.

Sorry if this is off-topic - just thinking out loud :)

OT, but if you use a PC for security, hide the storage drive. The intruder will steal or break the PC, after smashing the alarm. Same for dedicated DVR.

The visible cameras and security stickers are usually enough of a deterrent, but some burglars are more determined.

Get creative with the storage drive location - but don't post it.

Costco has a 16 cam system with IP connectivity and h.264 encoding for $999:

Q-see IP cam system

The cams are analog back to the DVR, but then everything is encoded with h.264 and available over IP. It really does look like a pretty slick unit. No idea if it supports separate motion sensor triggers. Also no idea if you can easily pull the video into CQC. But, it's Costco, so you can return it if it doesn't meet your needs. If anyone gets one of these, post your experiences here with it.

On paper, that's a lot of system for the price, as long as it's decent quality. I already have quite a few cams, as well as a HD, so I don't really need a full package like that but it would be great for someone just starting with nothing.

I think I've decided to go the NV5000 route. I've been able to overcome most of the cons, and it gives me the all important ability to script an automated login. Many of the DVRs don't allow that, and there's typically no way to know for sure until you buy it and try it.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Back