[off topic] how to add recessed lights

He suggested that I should use those 6 ft whips. They're actually flexible metal conduit with 3 conductors and couplings/connectors at both ends.

I believe there's something in the National Electrical code (googled it) regarding length of metal conduit.

was at HD today to write down all the prices of things I needed to buy. I spoke to an electrician(hopefully a real electrician) and he told me that the max distance between 2 recessed lights should only be 6'. He suggested that I should use those 6 ft whips. They're actually flexible metal conduit with 3 conductors and couplings/connectors at both ends. He also told me not to use flexible conduit (bx) from the switch to the first recessed light. He told me to use straight EMT conduit, a 90 degree EMT($1.67) and some 1/2" couplings.

What do you think folks?

EDIT:
I forgot to mention that he asked me what city I live and that's the time he started recommending those above.
The prefilled BX is ok if the length serves your needs. I don't understand the plan or need for rigid conduit from the switch to the first light. How are you going to connect the first light to the rigid conduit assembly? You are going to have flex somewhere in there because these are remodel can lights. You cut your hole, fish your wire(s), connect your light, and shove it all back in the hole. I wouldn't rely solely on what the guy at the big box place is telling you. He may or may not be a reliable source. Check with your city's electrical inspector to find out how it should be done. This is an opportunity to learn how to do it right and to meet your electrical inspector.

I've noticed no uniformity in electrical codes in just a few counties in NE Illinois. I've also noticed that they are changing.

I lived in Cook county and saw that it was OK (?) to use flex and rigid metal conduit.

In the collar counties and depending on the areas and the rigidity of following protocol electrical codes were all over the place.

I'm back folks. Been so busy with transitioning a lot of stuff at work. :(

Anyways, I started with my project yesterday. I completed the arch but I haven't attached it to the ceiling. I also tested the wires on the switch and fortunately, I can use that as a source. Please check out the pic I took few minutes ago. :)

121v.jpg

What, were you surprised that you found 120V at the switch? Or, were you just proud of your new DVM? :)

What, were you surprised that you found 120V at the switch? Or, were you just proud of your new DVM? :)

I'm so happy that I can use it as a source just like what you said on your earlier post! :D

I've removed the drywall wall. I'm now working on the ceiling drywall. I decided to use EMT. :(

Thanks again for the help!

Oh, the DVM is from a friend. I borrowed it last night! :p

EDIT:

I have a question on my picture. Instead of wire cap/nut, they used a different stuff. It's transparent, and maybe made of hard plastic, and it's got a copper inside with 6 tiny holes that might allow a 12g wire to fit. It's so easy to use. What is it called? That's where I inserted the red lead from my DVM.

I have a question on my picture. Instead of wire cap/nut, they used a different stuff. It's transparent, and maybe made of hard plastic, and it's got a copper inside with 6 tiny holes that might allow a 12g wire to fit. It's so easy to use. What is it called? That's where I inserted the red lead from my DVM.
I think it's pretty much just called a 'push in' connector. You can get them almost anywhere. Wago makes a similar one but it has a 'clamp' so you can open and close it to take wire in/out. They are really nothing new, I used one 4 years ago when putting in my touchscreen.

I think it's pretty much just called a 'push in' connector. You can get them almost anywhere. Wago makes a similar one but it has a 'clamp' so you can open and close it to take wire in/out. They are really nothing new, I used one 4 years ago when putting in my touchscreen.

That Wago is pretty cool looking! :)

Thanks for the links!

Help please, I need more eyes regarding the position of ceiling lights. :huh:

The picture below shows the recessed lights in the center are centered against the ceiling fan equally. The outer recessed light's distance to the center recessed lights is shorter. In the drawing, it looks nice. However, when I stand at the kitchen and look at it, I think something is not right. Oh, I put a 6" diameter cardboard and I sticked it in to the ceiling.
recessedlightscentered.png

Here is the other drawing where the middle recessed lights aren't centered against the ceiling fan. If you noticed, the left middle recessed lights are closer to the ceiling fan. In the drawing, it doesn't look right since it's not equal. However, when I stand at the kitchen, it looks better.

But sitting at the sofa and looking at the lights, you will notice the difference in the distance between the 2 middle recessed lights from the ceiling fan.
recessedlightsnotcentered.png

Which should I use?

Nice work
Better get some protection for those wires passing box to box though.
Grommets, at least.

Here are my comments on the photos.

Drywall work ... I hate Drywall work :huh:
As Jensen said you need to protect the wires going box to box maybe a short piece of conduit? BUT It also looks like you are not going to use the first box now, which I beleive burrying it in the wall is a no-no (cant cover junction boxes with drywall) so maybe remove it and use 90 deg conduit to go from the original pipe to the new box

What about taking the first plan where everything is spaced equally from the ceiling fan, but moving the closet two lights to the arch in - matching the two lights at the fire place. That may give a visual balance to the set up.

Here are my comments on the photos.

Drywall work ... I hate Drywall work :huh:
As Jensen said you need to protect the wires going box to box maybe a short piece of conduit? BUT It also looks like you are not going to use the first box now, which I beleive burrying it in the wall is a no-no (cant cover junction boxes with drywall) so maybe remove it and use 90 deg conduit to go from the original pipe to the new box

What if I cover the existing box with a solid square metal and the grommet/conduit stuff to protect the wires? I think removing the existing box is going to be a huge task. They didn't use screw. They used nails. Once I get home tonight, I will work on it again.

Thanks for the warnings! :)

What about taking the first plan where everything is spaced equally from the ceiling fan, but moving the closet two lights to the arch in - matching the two lights at the fire place. That may give a visual balance to the set up.

Got it! I'm going to check it again tonight.

Thanks.

Back