[off topic] how to add recessed lights

I worked on the electrical issue this morning. I'm hoping this is now a PASS... :) Please let me know. Thanks.

Not yet. Remember, in you instalation the conduit is your grounding system. You need to make firm, mechanically sound connections between every metal part of the installation from the end fixtures all the way back to the panel.

I see also that you are installing 4 switches in the box. If they are dimmers, remember that they will need to be de-rated.

Nick

Forgot to mention, I'm only adding 2 new switches. The other 2 are existing. Like I mentioned earlier, please explain "de-rated".

Derated - some dimmers have two wattage ratings. This is especially true with the higher wattage dimmers because they generate more heat. The "normal" higher rating is used when the switch is installed in a single gang box and a second lower rating is used when it is installed in a mult-gang box. Some (but not all) dimmers will actually have break off heatsinks related to the ratings. The higher rating is when the heat sink is intact and the lower rating when the heat sink has been broken off for installation in a multigang box.

If the dimmer has two ratings, it will be pretty well marked on the box and supporting literature. Just make sure you read the fine print and you'll be fine.

Basically derating is done because of heat, if your switch is normally a 750 Watt switch you need to derate it and maybe it can only be a 600 watt switch now because oif the multiple dimmers causing heat int teh same box.

I do not know the actual numbers for normal dimmers. As you increase the number of dimmers in the box, you reduce the total load that can be switched by each individual dimmer.

The Leviton Slide Dimmer I bought from HD is similar to the link below. However, mine only says 6631. It doesn't have -P. In the packaging, it says 600W, Single Pole, and wall plate sold separately.

http://www.levitonproducts.com/catalog/model_6631-P.htm#

Is there anything I need to worry about derating if I only have 1 dimmer on the 4 gang box?

Also, I'm worried that I might not be able to find a faceplate that has 3 regular holes and 1 for this dimmer.

The Leviton Slide Dimmer I bought from HD is similar to the link below. However, mine only says 6631. It doesn't have -P. In the packaging, it says 600W, Single Pole, and wall plate sold separately.

http://www.levitonproducts.com/catalog/model_6631-P.htm#

Is there anything I need to worry about derating if I only have 1 dimmer on the 4 gang box?

Also, I'm worried that I might not be able to find a faceplate that has 3 regular holes and 1 for this dimmer.
Personally, I would go with all decora type switches, at least in that location. Alternately, I would return the dimmer you purchased and buy one that looks like a normal toggle switch. They sell many varities, but the one I like (if I have to use toggles, is one that has a small slider to control dimming, and the main toggle to control on/off. If finding a switcheplate is a problem for you however, Lowes sells a "modular" switchplate. Just buy the openings you need and snap them together.

Help please, I need more eyes regarding the position of ceiling lights. :)

The picture below shows the recessed lights in the center are centered against the ceiling fan equally. The outer recessed light's distance to the center recessed lights is shorter. In the drawing, it looks nice. However, when I stand at the kitchen and look at it, I think something is not right. Oh, I put a 6" diameter cardboard and I sticked it in to the ceiling.

Here is the other drawing where the middle recessed lights aren't centered against the ceiling fan. If you noticed, the left middle recessed lights are closer to the ceiling fan. In the drawing, it doesn't look right since it's not equal. However, when I stand at the kitchen, it looks better.

But sitting at the sofa and looking at the lights, you will notice the difference in the distance between the 2 middle recessed lights from the ceiling fan.
recessedlightsnotcentered.png

Which should I use?

IMO, you should use the second option, but you should be adding another set of cans closest to the fireplace wall. For you puposes you should basically ignore the eyeballs above the fireplace (also you could probably get away with just installing one). Recessed can lights are for general, even illumination and should be spaced as evenly as possible, avoiding the Fan, of course. The spots above the fireplace are accent lights and should be separately switched and not used to light the room.

Nick

The switches for the eyeball and the other lights are separate. I'm thinking of just one dimmer. I cannot remove the eyeball since that is just the piece that wife wants. If I said "no to eyeball" to her last time, there wouldn't be any family room project. :)

What do you mean "it has to be de-rated"?

Thanks for the inputs.

I wasn't suggesting getting rid of the eyeballs. They can provide some very nice ambiance by highlighting artwork or an attractive fireplace front. I was suggesting that perhaps you could get by with one, as my suggestion to add two additional can lights at that end will leave you with several lights in close proximity. Alternately, you could use much smaller, unobtrusive halogen directional spots for your fireplace accent lighting (I dont remember if you ever stated what size cans you are actually using or what openings/defusers you will use). Dont make the rookie mistake of buying bulbs too large. Remember you should never see the light source (bulb), you should just see the light.

I would also really, really strongly suggest you install dimmers for both circuits. You may not think you will use them now, but you will probably be suprised. Even if you leave them at one setting all the time, dimming incandescent light bulbs by as little as 5% will increase their life up to 30%.

I see everyone else has you covered on de-rating.

One other thing to remember re. grounding. If you install a switch with a grounding screw/wire it must be used to ground to the box. the metal strap that it connects to the box with is not sufficient (in most cases, unless specifically stated) to ground the switch/recepticle/fixture.

Nick

I did see one that has a small slider and on/off switch at the bottom. It's expensive though about $14-$17. I'll check them out tonight! :)

Thanks folks!

I need some help regarding eyeball trim. I have installed everything and it went very well. All lights are turning on. Fireplace dimmer lights are dimming. I love it. I've installed the trims on the 6 lights really quick. However, I am having a very very tough time installing the eyeball trim. I've wasted more 45 mins installing a trim and still failed. There are 2 metal rods that bends. I tried bending it and inserting it to the hole but my hands wouldn't reach the hole where I guess it needs to be. I was so mad that my wife also got mad at me since I was shouting. LOL. Hahaha.

It was a PITA!!!

Here is the latest update.

familyroomproject20091011.jpg

Looking good! You may want to splurge on a 1000W dimmer, if you have one switch on the 6 can lights. The higher rated dimmers seem to buzz less and last longer than the 600W dimmers. Plus this will give you plenty of head room for the multigang derating.

Looking good! You may want to splurge on a 1000W dimmer, if you have one switch on the 6 can lights. The higher rated dimmers seem to buzz less and last longer than the 600W dimmers. Plus this will give you plenty of head room for the multigang derating.

The 600w dimmer is only driving 2 lights. The other 6 lights are on a normal toggle switch. Do you think my 600w dimmer for 2 lights is fine?

By the way, I went to HD few minutes ago and they showed to me how to install the eyeball trim. I was doing it incorrectly. LOL. I just finished installing it. It took me 1 minute to install both. Hahaha. ;)

The 600w dimmer is only driving 2 lights. The other 6 lights are on a normal toggle switch. Do you think my 600w dimmer for 2 lights is fine?

You should be fine with the 600W dimmer on the 2 lights.

You might want a dimmer on the cans. 6 lights can be a lot of lumens, but you can always experiement with different sized bulbs too. Regardless, nice work. Are you going to do the drywall repair yourself, or hire it out? I too hate mudding and taping.

You should be fine with the 600W dimmer on the 2 lights.

You might want a dimmer on the cans. 6 lights can be a lot of lumens, but you can always experiement with different sized bulbs too. Regardless, nice work. Are you going to do the drywall repair yourself, or hire it out? I too hate mudding and taping.

I'll be doing the mudding/taping and drywalling. The only thing I hate with drywall is the sanding part. I hate it because of the dust especially if it's carpet. I have a big cloth on the floor but the side near baseboard still gets some.

I'll work on the arch today and hopefully tomorrow, I'll be able to start with the coffered ceiling.

About the 6 lights, they're 15w lights. The package says it's equal to 65w. And yes, it is so bright there now. We love it. The ceiling fan light we had for 3 years is 120w(3 40w candle light). It's weak but doesn't show on picture.

I'm very(million times) thankful to all cocoontech folks that taught me electrical! I learned a lot from this thread. ;)

Thanks! ;)

Good evening folks. I need your comments on the archway I installed. My eyes are telling me something is not right. My wife tells me it looks fine. This will have thin pillars/columns on the side. When I built the arch on my dining room, I didn't have this kind of feeling. Anyways, here are pics.
familyroomproject20091012pic5.jpg

familyroomproject20091012pic4.jpg

familyroomproject20091012pic3.jpg

Back