Omni2E + Nuvo Essentia E6G = Uh-oh

tomtoth

Hi Guys,
First, I'm a total noob so I apologize for anything said, and yes, I have been searching the internet and these forums for days/weeks trying to find answers. So here it goes. I hired an Home Automation company to help with all my design and more specifically programming. Unfortunately, They are of little help now. I have a working OmniIIe. (security is working mostly, and light switches are programmed.) I have programmed a lot of this myself thru trial and error.

Now, the problem. This company sold me a Omni2e with a Nuvo Essentia. Now nearly 2 years after the fact, when my install is nearly complete (Nuvo keypads installed, drywall up and painted, UPB light switches installed). Now I found out(well 3 months ago) that of course the OmniIIe does NOT interface to a Nuvo Essentia. What I have been using is a old netbook via remote desktop to get music to the zones. Now I want to be able to control, not only zones, but sources from one interface. If I had been sold the omnipro2 to begin with, things would have been easier. I am fairly comfortable DIY'r, but am unsure if upgrading to a omnipro2 and ebaying the omniIIe is something I can do. If I Do this, my understanding is I still have no source selection (at least via the HAI android/ipad/snaplink) interface. (unless I go to hifi2??)

This Home automation company wants to sell me a $2500 Nuvo MusicPort server, and then buy the ipad application to control the entire audio system. Good, but to expensive and doesn't play shoutcast.
I have done a lot of research, and see the "old" Nuvo musicport, which connects to your own computer and can select different output to different zones. CaseTunes also had plugin to be used with this old musicport, but interfacing it all together is trouble for me. I see that Autonomics (The one who makes nuvo musicports) sell a software that may work, but I am unsure and prices are unposted so I know that probably makes it pricey. I have also investigated HomeSeer, but alas, with the Nuvo Plugin, I can only get a All Zones function, and not individual source/zone output.(plus huge learning curve) I have looked, but not tried CQC, along with Mainlobby.

I would have liked metadata to show up, but I'm more then ok if nothing shows up, just as long the system works.

Now to complicate things, I now have a Media Center PC running a Ceton Cable card, and if possible would like to integrate this into the system.. Audio only. For this I've looked at perhaps Vidabox software but again, no prices makes it probably pricey. (tho this integration would be ok for a local source interrupt or similar??)

I understand some basics, I know what rs-232/432 (I'm limited to connecting to stuff for craft accesd, using 3rd party software). But, I have no idea, and have not found a beginners guide on how to actually get systems to talk to each other.. and then adding ascii into the mix?

Any and all suggestions/help is appreciated. Free help is always welcome, but I'm alright to pay for good help.

Thanks in advance,
Tom
Sterling, VA

Are you looking for one keypad to control both your omnipro AND Nuvo? Or just sources attached to the Nuvo along with the zones? I have been contemplating using IR to control Nuvo sources, though its not exactly easy to set up. I'm hoping that macros can send IR commands to the IR all out which could control a PC with a usb uirt.

I'm not completely clear on all the sources you want to have, are you looking to have multiple sources coming out of one PC?

The Media center PC wouldn't be hard to get audio from it to the Nuvo, however controlling media center from a Nuvo keypad might be difficult and better left to something like CQC.

If you did get an Omnipro II, it is able to change the source of every Nuvo zone. Coupled with HAI's Home Control for Windows Media Center or Web-Link 3 it might get you most of the functionality you'd want.

Myro control sounds like it would be a nice option if it supported Nuvo in addition to Russound.

Take a look at Elve ( www.codecoretechnologies.com ) , I'm not affiliated with them but do use it and you might like what you see!
It will control everything you want I believe.

I think it will interfae with the IIe but to be honest, after thinking about it, I'm not exactly sure... may have typed too soon!

Thanks for the Suggestions, I'm looking at Elve now. (not seeing any mention of IIe either.. but their shouldn't be any communication difference) I was hoping to perhaps integrate the MCE into an audio source.. Mostly for TV audio. No control from nuvo keypads except maybe zone power/audio. If I can find a music port server cheap enough, that will be a good option for everything else. Having a IIe, it doesn't have the Nuvo built in, But I believe(not sure at all) I can still program the IIe for ascii out via serial to Nuvo to set up, like Source 1, play all zones and all zones off via button's from Snaplink.

Tom,

Couple of things to think about.

The 2e board will only communicate with the HiFi system.

Yes, and upgrade of the boards is probably the best solution. The Pro2 will work with any of the Nuvo systems and give you zone and source control (meta data and control of sources only on Nuvo made sources).

Looks like you got some bad advice,

Please call us if you want someone to walk you through your options.

Tom,

Couple of things to think about.

The 2e board will only communicate with the HiFi system.

Yes, and upgrade of the boards is probably the best solution. The Pro2 will work with any of the Nuvo systems and give you zone and source control (meta data and control of sources only on Nuvo made sources).

Looks like you got some bad advice,

Please call us if you want someone to walk you through your options.

I went thru some paperwork, and it looks like, if I where to manually program the omni2e, with ascii commands, I could control the nuvo? This is a tall order, but is this possible? Now, I just did bite the bullet and buy a Nuvo Music Port Server MPS4. Now, would I even need to use omnipro2 to control this server? Or would I have to use the Nuvo Software? To me, the only reason to upgrade to a omnipro 2, would to have easy integration of HAI based events(time/door) to turn on/off source/tune source's on the Nuvo Music Port server?

Thanks,
Tom

Where did you buy your MPS4? You know, Martin sells those at Automated Outlet, a Nuvo and HAI distributor.

Here is some good advice - CALL Automated Outlet before you buy anything else.

I think the main reason for Nuvo + HAI integration would be for reducing wall clutter - 1 touchpanel to control both systems.

I like the iPad for MPS4 control, but the keypads are a little faster - fewer button presses for control, e.g. mute, off, slight volume adjustment. The iPad app cover art function is really slick, especially with Pandora.

Where did you buy your MPS4? You know, Martin sells those at Automated Outlet, a Nuvo and HAI distributor.

Here is some good advice - CALL Automated Outlet before you buy anything else.

I think the main reason for Nuvo + HAI integration would be for reducing wall clutter - 1 touchpanel to control both systems.

I like the iPad for MPS4 control, but the keypads are a little faster - fewer button presses for control, e.g. mute, off, slight volume adjustment. The iPad app cover art function is really slick, especially with Pandora.

Called and talked with Martin @ Automated Outlet. I think I'm on the right track now. Thanks guys.

Back