OmniLinkBridge to integrate Home Assistant, SmartThings, Node-RED

That makes more sense based on what you were writing this morning.

I tried to install Hassio in docker based on your post here

I believe it didn't work for my Rpi 4 b due to chipset or something... I dunno. I think I read you were using a core2duo mac mini if memory serves. Maybe that is my issue, IDK. Anyone shine some light on this?

Yes, the supervisior and some plugins are available only in hass.io. In a standard HA core or docker install as the one you and me did there's some work to do.
A BIG BIG help came from installing HACS: https://github.com/hacs/integration that is a little like the "store" in Hass.io. Once you install that it becomes a little easier.
AS you said OmniLinkBridge and HA must be started manually, but a simple CRON on start up will get you on track forever. I did it once and never ever worried about it again. There are plenty of guides on how to setup a service and autostart it at boot.
Anyway at the stage you're at you should begin to see the MQTT devices from OmniPro II once you startup manually mosquitto and OmniLinkBridge.
Also, if I understand correctly it may be a little overkill but you can keep HASS.IO running on one raspberry while OmnilinkBridge is on a completely different platform.

Juan's video description:

Today, we're going to migrate Home Assistant (Hass.io) from a Raspberry Pi and install the Home Assistant Supervised version in a Linux machine. I'm going to show you step by step how you can set up an Ubuntu server, set up Docker, install the supervised version of Home Assistant, and last but not least we're going to set up Portainer so you can manage all the containers installed.

::shrug::

I will say this: Ubuntu is not an officially-supported config for HA. They're now recommending Debian. If I were starting over, that's what I'd use. This post from last November should be current for you: https://community.home-assistant.io/t/installing-home-assistant-supervised-on-a-raspberry-pi-with-debian-10/247116

So I would think that the steps would be these:

1) install Debian
2) install Docker
3) install HA in docker

I've read that HASSIO is no more and has been replaced by Home Assistant Core OS 6 months ago.

That said for Ubuntu 20.X installed it HASSIO via diy's posted.

Installed MQTT on the base OS using "apt install mosquitto"

Read many threads related to start up issues relating to supervisor / HACS.

Most of them referred to clearing your cache on Google Chrome and restarting HA.

Just yesterday had to do this for the latest HA core update; plus had to update / upgrade the Ubuntu host.  Update wouldn't run until I did this.  Logs stated some issue with HA OS build.

BTW installed the OmniLinkBridge plugin via the apps store this time on the newer machine.  Working fine.

I believe it didn't work for my Rpi 4 b due to chipset or something... I dunno. I think I read you were using a core2duo mac mini if memory serves. Maybe that is my issue, IDK. Anyone shine some light on this?

This was related to the installation of the OmniLinkBridge using arm 64 bit OS versus arm 32 bit OS way long time ago.

Personally that is why I switched over to Intel and Ubuntu 64bit OS.  That said I had no issues using the Pine64, Ubuntu 20.X with 2Gb of RAM recently.

If you are using an RPi easiest way is to download the RPi HASSIO (HA Core)  image and write it to the SD card and you will be good to go.

@pete_c
A little confused. You said
That said for Ubuntu 20.X installed it HASSIO via diy's posted
Then you said
If you are using an RPi easiest way is to download the RPi HASSIO (HA Core)  image and write it to the SD card and you will be good to go.

I'd love to run Hassio, but I thought I needed docker to run omnilinkbridge. I've re-read your two posts and I'm a little confused. 

Are you saying to follow the official imaging tutorial here and then just add omnilinkbridge via the store and it now works without docker or anything?
If so (and I'm running Rpi 4 model b 4gb) would you do the 32bit install or 64 bit?

I went down this entire dusty trail to start with because I kept reading on this post that Omnilinkbridge won't work with the official Hassio image that I just linked. Am I wrong in that?

1) According to the GitHub page, OmniLink Bridge does require Docker.

2) I hope I'm not confusing the issue by chiming in here, but let me describe my system and then throw some thoughts out there.

I have:
Mac mini, orig OS wiped, now running Ubuntu
Docker running in Ubuntu
Home Assistant running in Docker:
Supervisor-2021.01.5
Core Version 2021.1.4
OmniLinkBridge running in Docker

That ^ version of Home Assistant I'm running is formerly known as Hass.io. It's the one that has Supervisor. It's running beautifully in its own Docker container alongside OmniLinkBridge. It purrs along like a contented kitten.

A few years back I was running Home Assistant (Hass.io) on a RPi3. With that install method, you flashed the OS and Home Assistant to your SD card all at once. That install method is now Home Assistant OS. Home Assistant OS is based on Debian.

If you look at the top of this page for installing Home Assistant in Docker, it says:

These below instructions are for an installation of Home Assistant Core running in your own Docker environment, which you manage yourself.

I have the feeling that we're all confused thanks to the crazy-strange renamings that Home Assistant has recently gone through. Having said that, I can see no reason why you could not, as I said earlier:

Install Debian (or Ubuntu, though Debian is now recommended) on your Pi
Install Docker
Follow those instructions to install Home Assistant CORE in Docker

As Grant mentions above Home Assistant has had many changes over the last few years.

Here have three running HA boxes.  

1 - manual install on an Intel mini PC running Ubuntu 18.04 per Ryan's post here.  No supervisor with this build.  Only HACS.  It was all manually installed.

To get started with Home Assistant on docker, assuming you have docker installed.

2 - HASSIO script per menu item on the Pine64 Armbian version - this one has Supervisor and HACS - The script did the complete installation with no user input.

3 - HOW TO INSTALL HOME ASSISTANT ON UBUNTU

The SD card images are here:

Installing Home Assistant OS
This is an entire OS on the RPi SD card.  No need for any adds manually.

If you look at HACS or Supervisor apps you will see the OmniBridgeLink there to install.  I used the plugin link for my last tinkering experiement.

I learned about HA here from Ryan originally.  Later all of the posters on this forum have learned from each other.  This is why while we are all running Home Assistant; its a tad different with everybody relating to base OS, base hardware et al.

Thanks @Pete_C
For sure I've got 10+ hours into reading and setting this up and trying to guess and check. This forumn and you guys have been invaluable.

I had a whiz of a friend from overseas set this up in record time after I showed him what I knew. He is a master at HA for sure. If anyone else runs into trouble here feel free to reach out to me and I'll share his contact.

He advised we just try and install hassio in docker again, although I had tried and failed before
The error I was getting that stumped me last time when trying to do Hassio over docker was "set chip to armv7" or something like that.
He saw that and knew right away how to change that in command line and bam, installed Hassio in docker over ubuntu 20.10
Then to the add on store and integration and he did an add on of Omnilinkbridge and an Integration of Mosquitto. Setup the Omnilinkbridge file with my particulars right within Hassio gui and everything imported from Omnipro2.

I have the link and have installed Raspi Hassio many times from it.
What I'm still confused about is:
Are you saying the base of Ubuntu was not necessary and I should have just started with Hassio and it now would have worked as normal?
I thought for all installs (when trying to run on a single device) one needed a separate instance on the base OS running omnilinkbridge via docker or something else.
Are you saying now the official links above would work and I didn't need to start with the base of Ubuntu? Rather just do the add on and integrate MQTT?

Also,
My custom macro buttons from PC access didn't import. Any advice on how to get those into HA?

Thanks to the entire community!!

What do you mean with custom macro buttons from PC access? All my "macro", that is all my named automation buttons how they are called in OPII have been converted to switch entities in HA. I can simply turn on that switch and it runs the macro in OPII and gets back to off state.

Are you saying the base of Ubuntu was not necessary and I should have just started with Hassio and it now would have worked as normal?

No

Hassio / Home Assistant OS is an all in one Home Assistant image OS.  It includes everything (Docker et al).  It is Linux but scaled down for HA use only.

Personally I just prefer to utilize Linux Ubuntu.  It is a manual configuration with Linux.  Last one built running HA also runs MQTT and Homeseer.

I thought for all installs (when trying to run on a single device) one needed a separate instance on the base OS running omnilinkbridge via docker or something else.

You only need one instance of OmniLinkBridge to run.  It can run on anything.  I run three because I am tinkering.  Only one instance though is used for "production".  

Are you saying now the official links above would work and I didn't need to start with the base of Ubuntu? Rather just do the add on and integrate MQTT?

Omnilinkbridge is an application which converts all of the OmniPro panel devices to MQTT devices.    You can run it in Windows, Linux Mono and Docker, iOS, et al.

It has evolved over the years.  Originally it was a Windows application that spoke to Samsung Smartthings.  Then later on it ran on Mono Linux and talked MQTT.

The OmniLinkBridge will see almost all of the devices you have connected to the OmniPro panel.  (well except for Audio - Russound).

MQTT is just a portal to receive and send out Mosquitto commands.  It can be run on anything.  All you have to do is point to the IP address of your MQTT broker.

1 - As mentioned above the OmniLinkBridge is just an app which converts the OmniPro stuff to MQTT.  It can run on anything.  You just have to point it to your MQTT broker.  The OmnilinkBridge also talks to the Samsung Smarthings hub if you chose to utilize it.

2 - MQTT Broker can run on anything.  You just have to point your Mosquitto clients to the MQTT broker

3 - Home Assistant is open source automation software (using Python).  Ryan integrated his plugin for use with Home Assistant.

4 - Docker is a virtual machine that can also run on anything Linux, Windows or iOS.

@tigers
I spoke too soon. All "buttons" as PCAccess calls them (which I called macros above) imported as switches in HA just like yours. Sorry about that mistake. I noticed they operate just like you mention with no actual reporting. Which actually makes sense with how the OP2 has the buttons programmed currently.
Has anyone successfully wrote anything within the OP2's PCAcess automations tab that could get reporting which would talk back to OP2 (in turn HA) so we can get reporting? I just realized it would be really helpful to have that reporting especially in the case of like pool or spa heat or something you might run remotely that you can't see.

Also none of my dad's PCAccess scenes did not import. All his PCAccess scenes that work are just Upstart UPB scenes and point to a UPB LINK. I guess I could mimick them and make scripts/new scenes within home assistant that bundle the units/lights that are on OP2. But man, all the programming is already done on PCAcess and UPstart. Seems like a lot of work to redo. Probably 60 scenes or so. Anyone know of a way to pull all those in automagically or with little effort? 

@pete_c
Thanks so much for clarifying. I just wanted to make sure I myself as well as future OP2 integrators users go down the right pathway. So IF you only want to run one automation computer/pi/pc/linux box whatever you will need an underlying OS that can run Omnilinkbridge while running HA over the top (regardless if you use HA core or HassIO. I can confirm they both work on Raspi 4 over a ubuntu debian 32bit install. That is what I'm doing. Much like @grantlewis

Thank you to the entire community for help and support here.

Back