OmniPro II and Haiku replacement

foolishpleasure

So I knew it was only a matter of time before I have to stop using Haiku.  I was able to download/install it on new devices for a while, but with the latest iOS updates, Haiku no longer loads.

What are people using to control their OmniPro 2 these days?  I did a quick google and found Myro, but I'm not so keen on paying someone $50/year.  I'd rather just pay once and be done with it.

Thanks!!

I use Myro and have found that it works well and is continually improving.   It is a tough sell to get someone to continue to develop software on an orphaned piece of hardware like Omni.   Therefore, I don't have a problem with the cost.   

I might suggest Homebridge.  That software, with a plugin, connects your Omni panel like its a Homekit accessary, then the Apple Home app. or other third-party Home apps. can control it perfectly.  

So Homebridge is open source and runs on many platforms.  Macs, PC, Raspberry Pi's etc.  I run it on a Synology NAS.  It just has to run 24/7.  It is a bridge between your Omni panel and Homekit, which is Apple's home automation platform. Then I added the Alexa plugin.  Now the Home app. on your iPhone can see all your units, zones, buttons, thermostats, etc.  You can control anything, or set up automations as well.  It is all free.  I bought Home + which is an iPhone application for $15, and it lets you see and control your system much better than the Home app. but both work together.  Oh, one final thing, you need either an iPad running at home, or an HomePod mini running.  This is the server running Apple automations.  The Apple HomePod mini is $99 and acts like an Alexa Echo but sounds better.  So software is almost all free, but you need a processor to run Homebridge and a HomePod to run automations.  

Other people have gone the Home Assistant route, with another Omni plugin, but personally, I wasn't impressed.  Yes, its powerful software but a mess to manage, and you need a processor to run it on like Homebridge.  If you use an iPhone, Homebridge is a better way to go, if you ask me. It will be up and running 10 times faster, and Apple handles all the access while you are outside your house. With Home Assistant, you have to do all that yourself. 

Also, Homebridge and the Omni plugin are well maintained. The author of the Omni plugin just released an update yesterday.  And Apple keeps updating the iPhone end of it.  

Overall, the Homekit solution is far better than Haiku ever was. Home Assistant is fine if your a programmer geek type, but Homebridge is so much quicker to get running and so much easier to manage.  https://github.com/homebridge/homebridge

Also, with Homebridge Siri can control your home with your voice on your phone, watch, HomePod, and if you add the Alexa plugin, Alexa can control it as well.

Ano, what would be the substitute for HaikuHelper with the Homebridge solution? Or does it only replace Haiku?

picta said:
Ano, what would be the substitute for HaikuHelper with the Homebridge solution? Or does it only replace Haiku?
Have never used HaikuHelper. What function does it perform?  

HaikuHelper was a server for Omni, with an API and a web server. I have replaced it with the OmniBridge that publishes events on MQTT. With the Homebridge running on HomePod, what are the integration options?

picta said:
HaikuHelper was a server for Omni, with an API and a web server. I have replaced it with the OmniBridge that publishes events on MQTT. With the Homebridge running on HomePod, what are the integration options?
Homebridge does connect to MQTT, either as a separate plugin, or directly from the Homebridge-Omni plugin. Homebridge has lots of Web server plugins, but I haven't used them. All iPhones, iPads and Macs come with a Home app that gives you at least minimal control. I assume HomeBridge has API access, but so does HomeKit.  And you can run basic scripting on HomeKit. Last I heard, there are over 2000 Homebridge plugins, plus a whole lot more on HomeKit running on Macs/iPhones/iPads. So I'm sure it's different, but certainly much more powerful.

You can search for HomeBridge plugins here:  https://homebridge.io/

HaikuHelper was written by one talented guy, but HomeBridge, HomeKit, and Home Assistant were written by 100's if not 1000's of people. So it's not Apples to Oranges.

Back