OmniPro II Controlling Solenoid - How to Wire?

yeti

I have a:

OmniPro II
HAI 8 Output Relay Board (19A00-1)
8 Channel 12v individually Fused Power Supply Box
Basic solenoid (1x red wire 1x black wire) -> by default the solenoid plunger is out, when power is applied it retracts the plunger.
The 1k resistors that HAI ships with the board

What I want to do is wire it (safely) in so that turning the output ON on the OmniPro retracts the solenoid, turning it off extends it.

I know that solenoids create massive current inrushes.

How best to wire this up so I don't damage my board? I know this is semi ridic but a MSPaint schematic would be fantastic. Unfortunately I don't learn well from manuals, once I see how something is done I understand it in totality almost instantly.

Any help mucho appreciated in advance. :)

Use the outputs to operate a relay and the relay to operate the solenoid.
Do you want to throw the plunger momentarily or for a long time?

Exactly what I was thinking.

Okay wiring the OP II to the HAI relay board is easy. Got that.

How do I wire in the relay output + DC power supply to the solenoid so it's safe with inrush surge?

+ DC direct to the solenoid.
- DC supply to the Common terminal of the relay.
- DC of the solenoid to the NO terminal of the relay.
The solenoid current flows through the relay contacts, which should be rated well above the solenoid requirements.
The Omni panel is only connected to the coil terminals, the current flowing through the relay contacts is isolated.
Most relay boards have a blocking diode to block induction current as the coil field collapses when turned off.

There are a few things you should verify here first and below is the steps I have used.
#1 Verify that the current draw of the solenoid does not exceed 5 amps at 24Vdc which I am pretty sure the Form C contact on the HAI relay board is rated for.
#2 You will need a power source that matches the coil voltage for the solenoid. This could be 120Vac, 24Vac, 240Vac, 24Vdc just depends on the solenoid you are using. This will be the power you run to the form C contact on the relay board to turn the solenoid on and off.
#3 Since you would be using a form C contact on the relay board the inrush or collapsing current of the solenoid should not be a problem so you would not require a diode or MOV across the coil on the solenoid.
#4 You would wire an output from the OP II board to the coil on the relay board of one of the relays. This will be the output you program in the OPII for the logic to energize or de-energize the solenoid.
#5 You will also need to run a wire from the common on the OPII board to the relay board for the other side of the relay coils.
#6 You will need to run one leg of the power allocated for the solenoid through the contacts on the relay board. Assuming you want the solenoid normally powered off you would connect the power wire to the (C) common terminal on the relay board of the associated relay that you wired to the output of the OPII.
#7 You will need to run a wire from the (NO) normally open terminal on the relay board to the solenoid. You will also need to run the other leg of power source directly to the solenoid to the other side of the coil.

Desert_AIP said:
+ DC direct to the solenoid.
- DC supply to the Common terminal of the relay.
- DC of the solenoid to the NO terminal of the relay.
The solenoid current flows through the relay contacts, which should be rated well above the solenoid requirements.
The Omni panel is only connected to the coil terminals, the current flowing through the relay contacts is isolated.
Most relay boards have a blocking diode to block induction current as the coil field collapses when turned off.

This worked *FLAWLESSLY*.

Thank you Desert_AIP!! Also, ghanson, I went through your post in great detail as a 'preflight checklist'. Thank you as well!!!!!!

:) :) :)

Back