OmniPro II Random Resets

Thanks for the replies, the adventure continues.  To clarify, I do have a LOT of scripts (over 1,400 lines of code) but I did a test with an EPROM clear, and restored everything with NO programming.  It reset within a couple of hours.

The wireless receiver is connected to 6 zones (it's a GE, not HAI) but they are not alarm zones but rather "auxiliary", just informational to monitor the garage doors.  Since it's not on the keypad wiring loop no issue there.

Internet, maybe.  I'm going to try disconnecting Ethernet for 24 hours to see what happens, really inconvenient as I use iPads to control the system.

There is nothing connected to the relay board, in fact I disconnected the relay board (thinking a similar thing), the built-in outputs are empty.

lvrouter said:
Thanks for the replies, the adventure continues.  To clarify, I do have a LOT of scripts (over 1,400 lines of code) but I did a test with an EPROM clear, and restored everything with NO programming.  It reset within a couple of hours.

The wireless receiver is connected to 6 zones (it's a GE, not HAI) but they are not alarm zones but rather "auxiliary", just informational to monitor the garage doors.  Since it's not on the keypad wiring loop no issue there.

Internet, maybe.  I'm going to try disconnecting Ethernet for 24 hours to see what happens, really inconvenient as I use iPads to control the system.

There is nothing connected to the relay board, in fact I disconnected the relay board (thinking a similar thing), the built-in outputs are empty.
I am curious then about the GE wireless receiver. My HAI wireless receiver has all auxiliary items too but it still interferes. How is the GE connected to the system? Mine is actually configured as an expansion.

Joe

The GE simply has 8 outputs that are wired to 8 zones on the HAI.  I put it in before I HAI released their version which, I believe, simply connects like a panel.  It's use for non-alarm zones, specifically it monitors the four garage doors (open or closed) and a couple of panic buttons (used back when my mother was ill and with us).  Pretty benign piece of equipment, I doubt it's the problem but, of course, you never know.

I'm suspending my "investigation" as the resets continue, only because we're going on vacation for a week and don't want the system down.  As it sits now it's resetting a couple of times a day but is NOT losing memory or anything else.  Haiku helper alerts me when it loses touch during the reset so I can check to make sure it's still armed and in the worse-case-scenario I can remote into my computer and reload the programming.

So, here we are two months later and my brand new system is STILL resetting daily.  Hasn't created any major issues but it's annoying and sometimes interrupts a programmed event (based on timing).

I've "simplified" my entire installation, stripped it down to the basics and the problem continues.  There is no discernible pattern, sometimes goes a day or two, sometimes only an hour between resets.  Doesn't matter whether it's armed or disarmed.  Happens with and without programming loaded.  I've cleared and reset it a ridiculous number of times.  If you've read the whole thread you know I even bought a brand new board (anyone need an 8 year old OmniPro board that works?).

I can't believe that it's a door/window sensor causing the problem (pretty passive device), so I'm leaning towards either the single smoke detector (4 wire) that I have, one of the six thermostats (I do have one that loses comm occasionally), or something else I haven't thought of (suggestions?).

Anyone have any experience with a thermostat causing a reset?  I could try disconnecting all of them but really hate to do that (the wiring is pretty difficult to deal with).

You mentioned the network connection a few times... have you tried leaving it removed for ~24 hours?

I have been dealing with similar ongoing problems where my OPII stopped communicating over IP, outdoor temperature indications drop to zero, a T-Stat failed following a power outage.  I have tried many solutions- see my other postings if interested.

Some ideas specific to your posting:

One possibility hinted at by others is possible induced transients from the sensor cables.  You might try pulling off each terminal strip and testing between ground and the disconnected passive sensor devices to see if you measure any voltage or low resistance to ground.  The pool pump starting mentioned above could cause variations in the voltage to the panel but also could induce a transient voltage into the system.  Grounded out sensors could lead to current loops between the OPII system ground and the individual input grounds.

Do you have any devices connected to the serial inputs?  If so, have you tried leaving them disconnected to be sure they are not related to the problem?

To make it easier to troubleshoot devices that have multiple connections for power or communications connected in parallel such as t-stats and keypads you might want to shift those connections to power distribution strips similar to this:  
http://www.mascon.com/atw/security-products/Accessories/Bus_TerminalThe_perfect_place_to_park_your_wires-BT600/

These let you pull off one or more at a time for troubleshooting with less chance of problems when reconnecting.

Another test:  Set up the old OPII panel that you swapped out with just power and network to confirm that the resets continue with only power and network connections if you have not already tried that.  If you need to mount the old OPII for testing you can buy just a Leviton cabinet plate for it.

If the old panel still resets and you then try resetting it all to defaults and problems persist you can then send it in to HAI for repair:  $200.  The problem I have is that after swapping the O2e in I just tested the OPII that I removed and the IP connection appears to have started working again.  I am a bit hesitant to pay $200 for repair of an intermittent problem...  I have both the old and new talking to Haiku Helper now; I'll be watching to see if either run into IP connection issues.  The O2e I swapped in is connected to exactly the same sensors, serial and IP devices that had been hooked to the OPII and has been working without incident for a week now.  

The only difference is that I had to re-load the programming and shuffle around some of the addresses due to differences in the panels.  But that doesn't explain the OPII IP problems even when I had deleted all configuration and just entered an IP address to test without luck.

The challenge with disconnecting the network cable is that I then have NO WAY to know of the reset (short of looking at the logs later) but more importantly I lose basically all control over my system (I use iPads, iPhones for most things).

The network is VERY clean, I've tried it on the main gigabit switch, on a secondary 10/100 switch, etc.   It's all siting behind a SonicWall TZ205 so there shouldn't be any sporadic traffic getting to it, I did close down the port it was using, still resets.

There are no serial ports in use, only the network port.

All,
Side question here. A few of you have mentioned that one can snap the terminals off the board (want to upgrade from my old Omni to Omni Pro II). The manual states you have to push down on catches at the end of the terminals, but here I see people talking about prying them off. Before I break something, can someone give me some direction on how those terminals actually come off :)
Thanks!

The terminals are pretty easy to remove. With power off (of course) take a small flat-head screwdriver on one of the narrow ends, slip the screwdriver between the two plastic sections and slowly pry up that one end. Then do the same on the other end if you can. If not, try to pry it up evenly and slowly bit by bit on both sides, and eventually it will pop off.

Try changing the controller port to something other than the default. I had some issues in the past and it was only when my son was back from college for the summer and had his computer running games. I think it was accessing the same port or something strange. Never really figured it out but changing the port helped. SJ

Very plugnplay on the swap of boards.  I did my OPII old for new upgrade a few years back.  Powered everything off.  No power No battery et al.

I took my older OPII and put it in another home.  Its been working fine since (old one was some 10 years old).

The terminals came up and off right away.  I left the cables in place.  I unscrewed the daughter boards / main board and slipped it out underneath the terminal boards.

I put the new board in the same way.  I think I spent more time looking at it before I did it then the time I spent doing the swap.  I did also label all of the serial connections with numbers and function.

A few suggestions from some recent troubleshooting I've had:
  1. Do be careful with the code:  I've had my OP2 "locked-up" on a few occasions but finally traced it back to a code loop.  The "lockups" looked intermittent until I realized that the system was locking up only when the event was triggered and causing a "do-loop".
  2. I had troubles recently with a thermostat when I - like you - absolutely swore "nothing changed"... found out that the TSTAT was not wired correctly to receive power when in non-heat modes.  So the problem only "appeared" recently when the temps caused the seasonal switch from heating-only to heat/cool cycles.
  3. Finally, I did have an OP2 board go "bad" recently in an installation due to the network port flaking out.  Tore my hair out testing but finally packed it in and determined it was the Ethernet port on the board... but getting there was maddening.
I sympathize with you deeply.  Especially when WAF is involved.  Hang in there - you'll get it sorted either with a flash of epiphany or just patience and steady troubleshooting.

Well it's been over a year now with this problem and no resolution.  The system remains in a "minimum configuration" mode, all relays have been disconnected permanently (from the board), the expansion chassis was removed, just running now on the basic OP2 system.  Did I mention it's a BRAND NEW OP2 system?  I replaced the main board last year as a last-ditch effort to fix the problem.  The system configuration is pretty normal: about 40 input from windows and doors, the wireless GE device (using auxiliary inputs to monitor garage doors), 6 HAI thermostats, an internal sounder, an external sounder and five HAI keypads (4 new style, one old style).

I've stripped the system, replaced the power brick, replaced the battery, replaced the entire OP2 board, unplugged ethernet, unplugged ALL thermostats, unplugged ALL keypads, reset and run with NO code active.  In every case the resets continue.

I use HaikuHelper on a Mac to monitor the system, it alerts me on resets (disconnect/reconnect cycle).  I'm still getting a reset or two almost every day.  Most (9 out of 10) are harmless, no damage done unless it's at a time an event should be firing off then the event is skipped.  Every so often it's uglier.  This weekend, while out of town, the system reset at 2am, the external bell started ringing, police showed up, you get the picture.  All because the thing "burped".

HAI OP2 is a GREAT system, it should be 100% reliable (for the price we pay for it) and mine was for many years.  Now I'm at a point where I'm seriously considering abandoning it.  Just not sure what else to do.

Any further ideas are welcomed.

Curious if you tested the old board on a workbench with just a keyboard and ethernet cable plugged in? 

Are you still having the same issues with the opII? I am having similar issues with a customers panel but it is much worse. The OPII that I am dealing with is getting about 5 to 30 system resets a day. So bad sometimes that it clears the controller time and also all of the automation programs. I have been chasing this problem even changed out the controller 8 months ago and the resets continued. I have talked to HAI and they are telling me that it is a networking issue. According to tech support the panel only has a 10mbps half duplex Ethernet port and when tied into a network port with speeds faster than 10mbps the panel is flooded with network traffic and causes the system resets. I found this hard to believe but the tech I spoke with was adamant that the network was the issue. I think that it is firmware related because the panel that was running a 2. firmware version before never had any issues with resets before the panel died and we had to replace it 2 years ago.

Back