OmniPro2 battery low question

foolishpleasure

So I have an OP2 panel with 4 extension enclosures, so there are a total of five 12V backup batteries.  Every once in a while, I get a "battery low" alert, and I have to go around testing each backup battery until I find the offending one, and replace it.  Given that I need to walk around to 5 different locations, it's kind of a pain, but whatever.

So with the latest warning, I'm stumped.  I checked all 5 backup batteries and they all seem to be fine.

Is there something within the console or PCA that would tell me precisely which battery is low?

Thanks!

LQtechvn said:
the battery reading normal around 220 - 230
Yes the console tells me that the battery level is normal, but I'm not sure what that even means.  It's done that every time in the past as well, when I have 4 healthy batteries and 1 low battery.

Bottom line is - I have 5 batteries.  The console is warning me that "battery is low" but it doesn't tell me which one.  I've checked all 5 batteries so far, and unlike in the past, I can't figure out which one is actually low.  Is there a way (via the console or PC Access) to find out which one is low?

Go to PC Access.   Then "Communications" and connect to your panel.

Once you have connected, you can check the battery levels under the "status/control" tab

rockinarmadillo said:
Go to PC Access.   Then "Communications" and connect to your panel.

Once you have connected, you can check the battery levels under the "status/control" tab

Sorry if this wasn't clear before.  When I look at the "Status/Control" tab within PC Access, it says "TRBL NOW" under Battery Low.  I know that.  My console tells me that.  Haiku (which I still use on a grandfathered iPad) tells me that.

My problem is - I have *5* 12V batteries.  One for the main enclosure, and 4 for each of my 4 external expansion enclosures.  I tested all 5 batteries with a multi-meter and they all came back fine.

Is there somewhere I can find out which battery the system thinks is low?

Measuring voltage with a multimeter won't show you the health of the battery, unless the battery is in really sad shape with a dead cell.  If it is just weak due to age, it will read 12V or more when it is disconnected and under no load.  Even under a normal load, it will likely give you a reading of 11.5V or more, but it won't have the capacity to run for the required time (e.g.4  hours). 

Elk makes a Battery Life Tester, which can give you an indication of the health of a battery by measuring its internal resistance (actually conductance, which is 1/R). 

Another way is to test the battery under load, say with a 12 ohm, 20W resistor, and observe how long it takes for the voltage to drop below 11.5V.   If the battery is weak, it can take a few hours to get to that level, depending on the size and condition of the battery. With 5 batteries, yes, it's a pain to do. 

SLA batteries usually last 3-5 years when used in alarm systems.  If they are all about the same age, I would replace them all.  If one is dying now, the others won't be far behind. 

RAL has the best recommendation.   Replace them all if they are more than 3yo.

You can check each battery separately in PC Access:

Under the Status/control tab, check the number beside "Battery"   This is the status of the main console battery.

Then click on "expansion"    You will see the battery reading for each of your expansion enclosures.

Back