OmniStat RE-122 Thermostats Have all Gone Haywire at Same Time

bruinfan

Hello,

I'm new to this board.  I did search for an answer, but could not find any existing topic which covers my situation.  I'm looking for someone who may be able to shed some light on my problem.

I have a 9-year-old HAI OmniPro-II system, coupled with a 4-zone set of HAI Omnistat RC-122 Thermostats.  Late last night, my family awoke to very cold air throughout the home.  All 4 thermostats were in a nonstop "cool" mode.  All 4 thermostats read "27" where the current room temperature would normally appear.  The only thing I could do to stop the cooling was to turn each unit into "OFF" mode.  The Dealer Access software shows that the status of each thermostat reads back a current temperature value = 0 (which I'm guessing means that no value is being returned to the automation system).

I have gone back through installation diagnostics on a few of the thermostat units.  I don't see any problems with the setup.  I have disconnected the thermostats from the main Omnistat-II controller (making each thermostat totally independent).  Nothing I have done will eliminate the errant "27" reading.  

How could all of the thermostats have gone crazy at one time? ... Why is it that I cannot get them to operate properly even when I disconnect them from the HAI home automation system?

We have a cold front headed our way tomorrow ... Any guidance would be most appreciated.

Have you considered that something might be wrong with the zone controller? If all four thermostats "broke" the commonality is the zone controller assuming you have one. Check the zone controller and make sure its not flashing any codes. If not, try resetting it.

I did consider that, which is why I already tried a complete reset of my OmniPro-II system.  I also have completely disconnected all of my thermostats from the controller -- but the "27" stays on each one.

However, you are correct that the zone controller is blinking a code on the D2 indicator.  Can you point me to a reference on how to read and interpret the code?

Did you notice if any other indicators are on on the thermostats? Pick one and work with it first. Does it show Remote, Day, or Night? If you press the temp set up/down buttons, what does the temperature show then? Was it still 27?

You didn't mention the model of zone controller, so we probably can't tell what the code means. Can you identify it?

What kind of programming is in your Omnipro to control the thermostats? (If any?)

Did you happen to have a power outage or lightening storm?

It was a calm night and we experienced no power issue (of which I am aware).  The REMOTE went away as soon as I touched each local unit, as expected.

I have worked extensively with one of the RC-122 thermostats.  There is no problem with the heat and cool set points.  They can be manipulated at the unit without any issue.  I can even go through the configuration settings.  The only visual symptom on each of the stats is that "27" is replacing the actual room temp reading ... that plus it immediately starts to call for max cold air as soon as I turn the stat into AUTO or COOL mode.  (HEAT mode will not call for hot air.)

My OmniPro-II main board (20A01-2) shows Rev C10 (87967-9).  The firmware chipset is: 20A04-2 = 3.6B (2011) and 20A05-2 = 2.0 (2007).   The D2 indicator is blinking a rapid combination of signals, looking something like a morse code display.

SOLUTION FOUND! ... After a call into HAI/Leviton support, I was told that there is an "anomaly" with the RC-122 thermostats whereby they can be erroneously triggered into recalibrating at 100 degrees above their preset configuration setting.  Apparently, something happened with my system 2 nights ago that caused all of the stats to fall into this error mode.

The solution was rather simple.  Even though the 04 diagnostic shows a value = 30 (04 is the temperature calibration setting), the system is actually storing a value of 130.  All I needed to do was down arrow from 30-0 and then keep going down arrow from 99-30.  Once I lowered that configuration setting on each thermostat, normal function returned.

The tech representative indicated to me that this is a known issue with the RC-122.  Since it is a discontinued product, they decided not to continue searching for a cause.  When it happens, they just instruct the owner to follow these steps to correct the calibration.  

I hope this can help a future HAI automation owner in the future.

Bruinfan,

I'm finding your solution 18 months after you ran into this problem.  I have an Omni IIe with two of the same thermostats and they are doing the same thing.  I'm a newbie when it comes to the HAI controllers.  Can you provide me with any more details on where you found the 04 code (keypad controller, PC Access, thermostat, or something else) and how I might make the changes you suggested.  Hope you still follow this forum.

shahman said:
Bruinfan,

I'm finding your solution 18 months after you ran into this problem.  I have an Omni IIe with two of the same thermostats and they are doing the same thing.  I'm a newbie when it comes to the HAI controllers.  Can you provide me with any more details on where you found the 04 code (keypad controller, PC Access, thermostat, or something else) and how I might make the changes you suggested.  Hope you still follow this forum.

Download the manual and all should be clear. Basically you need to go into programming mode and change the setting. Here's a link to the download.

http://www.homeauto.com/Downloads/Products/Omnistat/rcr122.pdf

Back