Omnistat2 (RC-1000) with Outdoor temp sensor 31A00-7?

bjdraw

Not sure where I got the idea that these two devices would work together, but at any event I bought them both and am trying to get them to work. My goal is to have the outdoor temperature displayed on the Omnistat2.

The RC-1000 has three terminals for an external sensor marked black, green and red.
The 31A00-7 has four terminal marked 12V, GND, H, and T.

According to the 31A00-7 instructions when connecting to an HAI controller you connect it to 12V, GND and the T to a zone, but there are no directions for how to connect it to a RC-1000. I assume the 12V is still required, but I'm not sure what the H and T do. Right now I have T wired to green, but it doesn't seem to work, so I guess I'll try connecting it to H.

Does anyone have any idea if these two devices are even compatible. If they don't end working together, I'll try to wire the external thermostat to my Elk M1G, but I'd rather have the outdoor temp displayed on the Omnistat2.

Thanks

Does anyone have any idea if these two devices are even compatible.

No idea, sorry.

If they don't end working together, I'll try to wire the external thermostat to my Elk M1G, but I'd rather have the outdoor temp displayed on the Omnistat2.

That might be an interesting challenge also. My understanding is that the ELK supports temperature sensors attached to the on-board zones, simply because the on-board processor accepts some special serial communication protocol shared with their temperature sensors. Unless the 31A00-7 has the same protocol, or simply communicates with a voltage level for each temperature (and the ELK is programmed with numerous rules for each voltage level), it's not going to work either.

Unless the 31A00-7 has the same protocol, or simply communicates with a voltage level for each temperature (and the ELK is programmed with numerous rules for each voltage level), it's not going to work either.

Thanks for the reply.
No it doesn't appear that it does work. I tried to connect the 31A00-7 to a M1G zone configured for a temp sensor with no luck.

I don't believe the RC-1000 will work with the 31A00-7. The 31A00-7 specifically states on the board that it needs 12v and using my multi-meter I only measured 3 volts out of the RC-1000.

Not sure what to do at this point, does anyone want a good deal on a 31A00-7? Or want to trade for a M1ZTS?

I ordered the same sensor with an RC-2000 stat. Here is what I found out.
The only way to connect that sensor with an Omnistat is with an optional interface (part # 65A12-1).
The only problem with that is the optional part has not been released yet (at least not as of last month when I tried to get it to work).

I ordered the same sensor with an RC-2000 stat. Here is what I found out.
The only way to connect that sensor with an Omnistat is with an optional interface (part # 65A12-1).
The only problem with that is the optional part has not been released yet (at least not as of last month when I tried to get it to work).

Thanks for the information, I'll hold on to that temp sensor then.

I do wonder if the 65A12-1 will also be compatible with the RC-1000 though. While an outdoor sensor is needed for two-stage heating it is not for single stage. According to this post, the 65A12-1 will connect to the four terminals on the top right, of which I don't think exist on the RC-1000.

I guess I'll have to wait and see, but in the meantime I ordered an Elk M1ZTS so I could at least make use of the wire I ran outside my house including the hole I drilled.

The 31A00 is not designed to directly connect to the Omnistat2. This product was designed to communicate to a controller, in which the controller will then relay the information to the Omnistat2. The 31A00 additionally will NOT be able to communicate with the upcoming 65A12-1. The 65A12-1 is designed to communicate with a RC2000 to extend the number of available temperature sensors and perform diagnostics (RC3000).

The Omnistat2 and the 65A12-1 can directly communicate with the 23A00-1 to acquire outdoor temperatures. The 23A00-1 is an two wire indoor/outdoor temperature sensor that connects directly to the backplate of the Omnistat2.

Thanks,
Ryan

The 31A00 is not designed to directly connect to the Omnistat2. This product was designed to communicate to a controller, in which the controller will then relay the information to the Omnistat2. The 31A00 additionally will NOT be able to communicate with the upcoming 65A12-1. The 65A12-1 is designed to communicate with a RC2000 to extend the number of available temperature sensors and perform diagnostics (RC3000).

The Omnistat2 and the 65A12-1 can directly communicate with the 23A00-1 to acquire outdoor temperatures. The 23A00-1 is an two wire indoor/outdoor temperature sensor that connects directly to the backplate of the Omnistat2.

Thanks so much for the clarification.

I do have a follow up question though.
Just to be clear, you are saying that is it possible for a HAI controller to send the outside temperature to the RC-1000, so that it can be displayed in the message area of the Omnistat2?

Thanks

Back