OPII and Z-Wave

pete_c

Guru
Wondering if anyone is using Z-Wave with their OPII. I am currently migrating from Insteon (X10) to UPB and adding a few Z-Wave switches. So for a period of time all three will be utilized.

At this time have some different controllers - Intermatic HA22 and HA07 and for OPII have a Vizia RZCPG and Vizia RF Seial interface. For the time being only using plug-in appliance and light modules.

I have a 35 node system connected to my OPII with a Nevo Q50 and one of the other techs has 75 node system connected to his OPII with a Nevo S70.

What are your questions/concerns?

fyi... z-wave is not powerline so will not interfere with the upb or x10. And there are many folks on here that use both upb and x10 together and I've heard of no issues.

Installed my first 3 Z-Wave nodes to the OPII. Works and easy to set up.

Decided to do one room at at time.

Next room will be just using UPB (kitchen)

For Z-Wave it'll be the 4 outdoor lighting transformers.

To add Z Wave to a HAI panel you just connect the Z-Wave transmitted to the panel via a serial port and then configure the port to be Lutron or what not?

I am currently running HLC UPB and it was EASY to add and set up. Is adding ZWave (and Zigbee eventually) any easier?

Connect the Leviton VRC0P to an on-board serial port using the supplied black phone cable (you MUST use this cable) and set the serial port to Z-Wave or Leviton Vizia RF. You then have to put the node numbers of the devices in the corresponding units on the "Units" tab. In order for two-way to work, you must "associate" all the devices with the VRC0P serial interface.

That seems easy enough. I would guess that you are limited to whatever number of units your particular panel can support. Cool.

Tonight we had a short severe thunderstorm (much lightning) pass thru the area. The power flickered a couple of times, both times less than 10 seconds. I noticed that all of the X10 and UPB lighting resumed at set dim levels.

The Z-Wave lighting stayed off after the power flickered. Just curious why the Z-Wave lighting didn't resume (on or at dim levels set)? Is this normal for Z-Wave lighting?

Back