Outdoor IP Loudspeaker

drvnbysound

I dont know that this is the right place for the question, but there certainly isnt a category for what im asking about, but it is a hardware piece, so maybe this fits.

I am looking for an IP based outdoor speaker. I am not looking for an IP solution in the sense of hi-fi audio quality, but to use it as a IP addressable loudspeaker to "message" people. The reason for using an IP based speaker, is that it will be used at distant remote locations where running wires is not necessarily feasible, however wireless devices are.

Example: Say you own a large piece of property that is waterfront, yet your home is quite a distance from the water. With IP cameras and wireless devices you can watch your dock or other nearby area's of your property. If you actually saw an unknown person hop onto your dock or just randomly messing with stuff on your property in that area you could have pre-recorded messages (.wav files) sent over the same wireless connection that the camera uses to the loudspeaker and "tell" the trespasser that he is on private property, etc. ;)

All that said, im looking for some "speaker" solutions. It doesnt necessarily have to be in conventional speaker form as its not going to be for music purposes, but mainly for pre-recorded messages. I'd imagine some sort of IP based megaphone would work just fine.

I agree with midon. I think a camera with two way audio is exactly what you are looking for. I guess the only queston would be how loud is the audio. I haven't used one to know, but I think most of the better CCTV manufactures make models with two way audio.

While the idea is nice, its probably not going to be enough audio output for the application I need - which is roughly 50-200 ft. That is the reason I was looking for something more in line with an IP "loudspeaker" or megaphone-type style to accommodate the audio output needed. I figure something like a long range hailer (Wiki) is certainly overboard for some simple "You are on private property" messages.

I suppose it doesnt HAVE to be, but I already have a wireless system in place for an IP camera. So I can simply add a network switch near the camera and use the IP speaker / amp. Just seems like the easiest route if there is a product that fits the bill. I have been searching for a couple of days on/off and havent really come across anything that really looks better than the original product I linked, but didnt know if anyone else had already used something else.

I think Im going to try out the system linked above (second post). I contacted their tech support and found out their horn does 116dB @ ~5ft. Using some online ft-dB calculators, estimations show that it is capable of ~90dB @ 100ft. That should be plenty to get someone's attention :)

Back