Outdoor LED security/flood lights mounted under eaves

Ira

I've been searching the web for security/flood lights that meet these requirements...

1. LED.
2. Maybe 20 to 40 watts (not sure about this).
3. Rectangular in shape, up to about 8" wide and 6" tall. The smaller the better, as long as they put out enough light.
4. Wide beam.
5. No motion detection or dusk/dawn stuff (unless it can be disabled).
6. Most importantly, able to be mounted under the eaves, i.e., mounted to the soffit.

Last time I looked for these (maybe 15 years ago), LED's hadn't taken over the market, and there were a lot of these that used halogen bulbs. Cheap ones at HD were maybe $15.

My searches haven't come up with anything that can be soffit mounted. Seems that all of the lights have a shroud, and the light's knuckle mount comes out of the bottom (opposite side from the shroud).

I don't like the looks of the "bullet" shaped floods, so trying to stay away from them. Some of the places I want to put the lights don't have walls, i.e., around a covered porch (and I don't want to mount them on the columns that support the porch). Other locations are brick walls and I would rather not put them there either, except for a brick gable end wall.

Am I just using the wrong search terms?

Thanks,
Ira

I used DelphiTech out of Canada for my lighting. It is high quality stuff. 7 years and no failures. However, the current prices look pretty high-- even for Canadian dollars.

Fast forward a few months...

I bought a couple of these to play with...
flckm2-sw3b15-brk-store.jpg

... 15W 2000 Lumens each. Seller said they can be mounted upside down under the eaves. They are pretty small. The light itself is 5.32"W x 3.69"H. The reason I like these is because they are dimmable using a 0-10V dimmer. Plan was to mount two to a single junction box in the eaves using one of these...

00669265.jpg

I want the two lights to each be about 30 degrees off center (or whatever it takes to get a continuous field of coverage). Unfortunately, the knuckles on the lights are too "short" so the lights interfere with each other (i.e., hit each other) unless they are pointing almost in opposite directions. The other problem is that they are only adjustable in two dimensions instead of three, so it's impossible to get the light fixture parallel to the ground unless its mounted in the center hole.

Anyone know of a way I can accomplish this with off the shelf hardware? The cable coming out of the knuckle is 12" long. The outer insulation/casing is stripped off for the last three inches.

Thanks,
Ira

I don’t know if the threads are standard, but other manufacturers might offer a similar box cover with a different design.

A couple years ago I went with lights from RAB lighting, decent quality, offered a hood for narrowing the light beam.

The third direction of adjustment that you’re looking for is, I think, provided by the screw-in nature of the fixture into the cover plate.

Back