Outdoor motion detector?

PlanoMike

I'd like to detect motion on my driveway and front porch...any recommendations for motion detectors to be used outside?

I may just go with one of the X10 montion detecting floodlights...if anyone has experience with these versus hard wired motions, I'd appreciate it. My security system is an Elk.

I just bought some Optix LX-402s from Worthington. They cost about $67 each. Haven't installed them yet but from inspection they look good. Quality construction with waterproof gasket and foam seals for the mounting screws and wire entrance plus night only option.
There aren't that many choices in a true outdoor PIR.

ricklearned said:
I just bought some Optix LX-402s from Worthington. They cost about $67 each. Haven't installed them yet but from inspection they look good. Quality construction with waterproof gasket and foam seals for the mounting screws and wire entrance plus night only option.
There aren't that many choices in a true outdoor PIR.
I'm curious on the performance difference between those and these:

http://www.optexamerica.com/products/prodp...fm?product=vx40

I have dogs, so the pet immune ones could be interesting, although if I tie this to light's and such I would not care and would avoid pet immune ones anyway.

Had not seen the Pulnix ones before.

Hi Mike

Pulnix sensors now "Takex" Have been around here in Oz a long time ......Not sure if they sell the pir sensors in the states....Many years ago i use to install and service alarms and was using Optex sensors back then but i found that on very hot nights the sensitivity went way down ...never had this issue with the Pulnix ceiling mount sensors....

http://www.takex.com/

HTH
Frank

....Many years ago i use to install and service alarms and was using Optex sensors back then but i found that on very hot nights the sensitivity went way down ...never had this issue with the Pulnix ceiling mount sensors....

Unfortunately I don't have a cieling outdoors to mount the sensors so I'll have to deal with the reduced sensitivity on the few occasional hot nights near the ocean in Southern California. Haven't see the Pulnix sensors in the US. :D

I bought boxload of used motion sensors on eBay and plan on "weatherproofing" them for use outdoors (caulk and silicon) and strategically placing them to avoid direct sunlight where possible. For only a few dollars per sensor, I thought this would be worth a try. The factory "outdoor" sensors were too expensive to justify the cost for the non-critical functions they will be performing.

ricklearned said:
....Many years ago i use to install and service alarms and was using Optex sensors back then but i found that on very hot nights the sensitivity went way down ...never had this issue with the Pulnix ceiling mount sensors....

Unfortunately I don't have a cieling outdoors to mount the sensors so I'll have to deal with the reduced sensitivity on the few occasional hot nights near the ocean in Southern California. Haven't see the Pulnix sensors in the US. :D
Sorry

i should have been more specific....

I was referring to the indoor pirs ...

I think Pulnix America may only sell their camera,s and external beams....

Frank

jeffx said:
I bought boxload of used motion sensors on eBay and plan on "weatherproofing" them for use outdoors (caulk and silicon) and strategically placing them to avoid direct sunlight where possible. For only a few dollars per sensor, I thought this would be worth a try. The factory "outdoor" sensors were too expensive to justify the cost for the non-critical functions they will be performing.
Jeffx

You will probably find if they are standard internal pirs they are more sensitive than externals and will false alarm a bit...But for a few dollars as you say worth a try...

Frank

AutomatedOutlet said:
Hi Martin

I also used Aleph sensors here in Oz back in the early 80,s ...From memory they were the first small domestic sensor i came across at the time...were very popular then..

Have you had any feedback from people using the external Aleph ..?? Would be a little concerned with trees/ bushes moving on windy days setting the microwave off ???

I find the pulnix outdoor sensors only tend to false alarm on hot windy days other than that they work fine....

Frank

I have been extremely happy with the 5 D&D Crow sensors I purchased last fall.
They have been extremely reliable, I have not had 1 false trigger since I have installed them. ( At least not that I know of :D ).

I have one facing a ~25ft tall christmas tree and in the roughest winds and snow this winter it did not trigger.

The original post was here.
http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showtopic=2963&hl=crow
StevenE

Hi

The original post was here.

LOL...!!! Like the bit about the low WAF ,thats exactly how mine would respond as well...

Frank

Yeah,

I still get complaints from the wife that it does not detect cars, now that it is warm out when I have time I am going to try changing the harsh enviroment settings on the sensors and see how that goes...

Otherwise, I don't really car if cars drive down my driveway... It's only the cars with people getting out that I am concerned with and that is covered..

:)

StevenE

Back