Phone Fault - Line always seized - help

Correct, 50 with the Elk off or disconnected

I get 31.1 with the Elk on and the telco seized light is immediately on.

I contacted Elk, and the board is going in for service after the holiday.

I wish the phone/modem portion was a daughter board or add on, so my whole system would be up while it was being repaired....

I had exact same problem as ProjectX reported except that my Ring to Tip voltage was 13.2V. My troubleshooting results are provided below. Is this sufficient to verify a board problem before I go to the trouble and down-time of returning the board for repair? BTW, I'm almost certain that mine was lightning related. This is the ONLY problem detected with the M1G but I had a gate controller fried as well as a couple of Insteon devices (all on different distribution panel but from same mains transformer.

Thanks,
jim

Test 1:
o RJ45 connector at RJ31X CONNECTED
o Global- Local and remote control ENABLED
o Telco Seized light ON
o LCD keypad user menu 8,6,4 Last onhook voltage= 0.0V
o RJ31X: Voltage across #4 & #5 = 46.5V
o RJ31X: Voltage across #1 & #8 = 13.2V

Test 2:
o RJ45 connector at RJ31X DISCONNECTED
o Telco Seized light ON
o LCD keypad user menu 8,6,4 Last onhook voltage= 0.0V
o Voltage across #4 & #5 = 46.5V
o Voltage across #1 & #8 = 46.5V

Test 3:
o Outside Telephone line connected directly to Tip and Ring on M1
o House phone connected directly to R1 and T1
o Telco Seized light remained ON before, during, after phone hookup
o No dial tone on phone
o Voltage across R1 and T1 = 13.2V

What was the solution to this problem? I seem to be having it all of a sudden as well, I believe lighting was the culprit.

KC - I've been watching these boards for years - I believe every time this has come up, unless work was being done on the wiring precluding the failure, it's always been an elk repair issue. Make sure you follow the troubleshooting steps outlined here to get the voltages, then contact Elk support with that info - they'll most likely have you send it in.

Back