planning a new build, need integration advice

Setnet is very competitive and helpful if you can't get the pricing you desire from AAR Tech. Plus, most if not all Elk is created in the USA so the border is breeze.

I like a bus system for lighting control since i am tired of homerunning (old school technology) so many wires so that is why i haven't gone with the 8 button scene switches but that is the look i want. Elegant and clean. if i get a chance i will try to dig up some of the different scene switches that i desire.

I have spoken to SETNET and I do find them helpful. AArtech does not sell On-Q ALC products, so I think I'll be going over the border for help there. Right now I'm trying to decide on dimmers vs relays everywhere (incidentally dimmers are cheaper than relays, go figure) Here in Canada, the federal government is pushing the use of CFLs and I'd like to plan for the future, as most Coocooners do...

In addition to dimmers vs relays, I'm having a bit of trouble coming up with a reasonable design for things like scene lighting and what not. I'm confident I have the basics like what lights I'd like to come on at dusk, sweep all off at some point during the night. (entrance lights, floodlights, major hallways) What do you guys generally do for your lighting? What lights are must to automate, what ones are nice to have? I know this is purely a matter of personal preference, but I'd like to be confident I'm doing at least what's reasonable. If I pre-wire everything, then I can think about being cretive later, when I have more money. :)

Once I know this, I can probably nail down a parts list.

Just an update on my selection of audio products. I've chosen the NUVO Grand Concerto. I like the functions of the keypads and the fact that it can be put on your house PC network very easily. It looks like I could even eliminate the use of the keypads all together and use a local PC to do the zone and source selection. The NUVO can be confugured with a mute interface that seems like a good feature. Has anyone had experience with this unit, I haven't read any text on the fourm about it It's called the NUVO NV-MI1.

I also had a look around to see if anyone has done any speaker switching from the whole house audio systems to their home theater surround sound systems, but I don't see much of that either. My plan was to use a double pole relay driven from an output on the ELK to simply switch the in-ceiling speakers from the NUVO to my home theater setup. I'm just wondering how my HT amp and NUVO would repond to a sudden loss of impedance at the respective output. Do these devices have any open circuit detection or diagnostics that I would be "confusing" ith this switching?

Im also starting a project which is based on ELKM1, but for lighting Im using Lutron Grafikeye's, which are then controlled by the M1 for any "whole home" capabilities.

Also for AV, Im planning on using mediacenter, with multiple xbox360's as media extenders. This will also by whole home audio solution. Plan to use RMS on media pads (CE) to controll M1 & also media extenders (through Mirage). eventually these can also be control by sideshow devices

Just a different view

regard Jim

Just an update on my selection of audio products. I've chosen the NUVO Grand Concerto. I like the functions of the keypads and the fact that it can be put on your house PC network very easily. It looks like I could even eliminate the use of the keypads all together and use a local PC to do the zone and source selection. The NUVO can be confugured with a mute interface that seems like a good feature. Has anyone had experience with this unit, I haven't read any text on the fourm about it It's called the NUVO NV-MI1.

I also had a look around to see if anyone has done any speaker switching from the whole house audio systems to their home theater surround sound systems, but I don't see much of that either. My plan was to use a double pole relay driven from an output on the ELK to simply switch the in-ceiling speakers from the NUVO to my home theater setup. I'm just wondering how my HT amp and NUVO would repond to a sudden loss of impedance at the respective output. Do these devices have any open circuit detection or diagnostics that I would be "confusing" ith this switching?

For the elimation of the keypads it sounds like you've been looking into the Nuvo Musicport solution. I'm looking into this myself and am getting close to pulling the trigger and buying it. I've not been able to find much review or people that have integrated this.

The documentation sais it needs a dedicated PC which i think it rather silly and my plan is to try and run it on my Windows Home Server machine along with SageTV and CQC.

Let me know if you go for it and how it works out.

After reviewing in detail I'm going to get the Nubo Essentia, has the smaller keypads but is more energy efficeint and hopefully powerfull enough for my use. And a lot cheaper than the Grand Concerto.

Setnet is very competitive and helpful if you can't get the pricing you desire from AAR Tech. Plus, most if not all Elk is created in the USA so the border is breeze.

I like a bus system for lighting control since i am tired of homerunning (old school technology) so many wires so that is why i haven't gone with the 8 button scene switches but that is the look i want. Elegant and clean. if i get a chance i will try to dig up some of the different scene switches that i desire.

I have spoken to SETNET and I do find them helpful. AArtech does not sell On-Q ALC products, so I think I'll be going over the border for help there. Right now I'm trying to decide on dimmers vs relays everywhere (incidentally dimmers are cheaper than relays, go figure) Here in Canada, the federal government is pushing the use of CFLs and I'd like to plan for the future, as most Coocooners do...

In addition to dimmers vs relays, I'm having a bit of trouble coming up with a reasonable design for things like scene lighting and what not. I'm confident I have the basics like what lights I'd like to come on at dusk, sweep all off at some point during the night. (entrance lights, floodlights, major hallways) What do you guys generally do for your lighting? What lights are must to automate, what ones are nice to have? I know this is purely a matter of personal preference, but I'd like to be confident I'm doing at least what's reasonable. If I pre-wire everything, then I can think about being cretive later, when I have more money. :rolleyes:

Once I know this, I can probably nail down a parts list.

Also in Canada and looking at automating lighting in a new home. Wondering were you successful in getting any direction as to acceptability of the On-Q ALC product here in Canada?

-------------------------
Brian

For the elimation of the keypads it sounds like you've been looking into the Nuvo Musicport solution. I'm looking into this myself and am getting close to pulling the trigger and buying it. I've not been able to find much review or people that have integrated this.

The documentation sais it needs a dedicated PC which i think it rather silly and my plan is to try and run it on my Windows Home Server machine along with SageTV and CQC.

If you plan on using CQC, then you don't need the Nuvo solution to get rid of the keypads. They CQC driver can control the zones whether there is a local keypad or not. You might control it via a computer or touchscreen with a CQC IV running on it, or you might use a IR remote. It could even be a scene light switch from one of the many lighting systems that CQC supports. Basically the sky is the limit here. However you get the command into CQC, it can then act on that and control the volume, mute, source, power, etc of the Nuvo zone. This is true of both the Essentia or the Grand Concerto (or any of the other multi-zone systems CQC supports) so it doesn't matter which system you end up with.

To make a long story short - don't buy the Nuvo Musicport if you plan on using an automation system that supports the Nuvo hardware. You don't need both.

I use a different multizone system (a B&K CT600), but I don't have a single keypad installed. I use CQC to control it instead. I use a couple of touchscreens, IR remotes, and Nokia N800 wireless tablets to control the system depending on where I am.

No Luck, its gonna be Setnetpro or AO.

Sorry, what I meant was will you be able to get approval by the electrical inspector here in Canada for the On-Q ALC products
I can't see why not. The low voltage control wires are going to be terminated outside the box, making it a non-issue. I believe the requirement is 50mm space between low voltage and high voltage wires OR a physical barrier. Maybe someone can confirm this for me?

As an added measure, I plan to do as other Cocooners have done and attach the wires to the top of the box, let the drywallers and electrician do their thing and after everyone goes home that's when I go to work replacing the general purpose switches with ALC switches and terminating the wires. I think a little common sense adds a great deal of value here.

One thing I haven't considered is the certification of ALC products, are the switches UL certified?

I was following your thread, as your equipment selections were very similar to those we have been looking at for our build, so I was interested in your thoughts and decision processes and where they led you.

At the begining of the thread you raised the concern of the LV and HV being in the same box as a potential canadian electrical code issue, since you had talked to setnet and had since decided to go with the On-Q I thought maybe you had data that resolved the concern you had.

I have tried to get data on the On-Q devices to resolve my own concerns(UL/CSA approvals), seems they don't like to share any of their materials without signing up and impersonating a dealer/installer for access.

Changing devices after everyone has come and gone is fine and I've done it myself on occassion to avoid additional costs/charges but not to avoid potential code violations(not meant to imply you are), way to risky for a new house, dealing with electricity, and the insurance company saying no thanks after some future event gets investigated, well to each his own but not in my game plan. Just my 2 cents.

I was following your thread, as your equipment selections were very similar to those we have been looking at for our build, so I was interested in your thoughts and decision processes and where they led you.

At the begining of the thread you raised the concern of the LV and HV being in the same box as a potential canadian electrical code issue, since you had talked to setnet and had since decided to go with the On-Q I thought maybe you had data that resolved the concern you had.

I have tried to get data on the On-Q devices to resolve my own concerns(UL/CSA approvals), seems they don't like to share any of their materials without signing up and impersonating a dealer/installer for access.

Changing devices after everyone has come and gone is fine and I've done it myself on occassion to avoid additional costs/charges but not to avoid potential code violations(not meant to imply you are), way to risky for a new house, dealing with electricity, and the insurance company saying no thanks after some future event gets investigated, well to each his own but not in my game plan. Just my 2 cents.

Yes, I have considered all your points. There are several discussions in the forum about this very issue south of the border. It amounts to how reasonable your inspector is. Some may raise the issue, others may not. I believe Sacedog had to jump though several hoops just to get his local inspector to consider the use of this technology. The equipment is UL listed and subsequently is clear to use under CSA and the CEC. You can check on the onqlegrand web site or google "ON-Q ALC lighting UL listed" and you'll find several datasheets with references to the UL certs.
Here's one:
http://www.onqlegrand.com/images/pdf/IS-0371.pdf

Back