planning a new build, need integration advice

If you are interested in whole home audio, I highly recommend taking a look at SlimDevices products.

http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_duet.html

These products completely change the world of whole-house audio as we know it. For example, you can use multiple separated amplifiers making wiring easier and cheaper. The head units handle multi-head synchronization if desired or allow flexibility if you wish different music zones. Best of all, all your music lives on a central server, is CD quality, and they support Internet radio and Internet Radio music services such as Pandora, Slacker, etc. This is the 21st century way to go IMHO. I have 3 Squeezebox head units in my home and really love them.

You don't know the half of it - the slimdevices stuff is also externally controllable. I control my Squeezebox via CQC, and can tune online Sirius stations using my NuVo concerto keypad. Integrating 4 different best-of-breed products for a seamless experience - priceless ;)

Are those that have the slimdevices experiencing any of the syncrhonization issues that have been reported when running a party mode of some kind?

I'm planning to get a Nuvo E6G, but the internet radio portion lacks from their offering...

IVB...how much work was it to have the Nuvo control the slimdevice? For a new installation would you still recommend Nuvo as the backbone of a home audio system to which you can then bolt the different devices on?

Has anyone had any experience buying from AARtech in Canada? Also, I'm trying to find a supplier for Russound in Canada, anyone know of one?

Has anyone had any experience buying from AARtech in Canada? Also, I'm trying to find a supplier for Russound in Canada, anyone know of one?

While I don't personally have experience with them, they do support this forum and have an ad placed at the top. I'd assume that Dan did his due diligence on the company before allowing them to advertise here. So I would feel pretty comfortable using them.

AARtech has been advertising here for a while now, I would definitely give them a call. Tell them you saw their ad on CT!

I just wanted to let you guys know that I purchased a boat load of HA kit form AArtech today. I found them to be very helpful (I was dealing with Robert) and they did give me a discount and free shipping because of the value of my purchase...about $3100 CAD. Here is what I picked up so far:

AMS-17 - Amseco Recessed Mini Contact Press Fit
ASD200 ASD200 - American Sensors Smoke Detector 12/24V 4 Wire Photoelectric
ELK-124 ELK-124 - Elk Recordable Voice Annunciator Module V2 8 Channel
ELK-129 ELK-129 - Elk Computer Sound Card Interface for Recordable Modules
ELK-73 ELK-73 - Elk Compact Echo™ Interior Speaker
ELK-74 ELK-74 - Elk Compact Echo™ Two Tone Capable Interior Siren
ELK-SS30 ELK-SS30 - Elk Exterior 30W Two Tone Horn Siren
M1BBK2 M1BBK2 - Elk Flush Mount Kit for M1KP2
M1DBH M1DBH - Elk M1 Data Bus Hub
M1KP2 M1KP2 - Elk M1KP2 Flush Mountable LCD Keypad
M1XEP M1XEP - Elk M1 Series Ethernet Interface
M1XIN M1XIN - Elk M1 Input Expander
M1XOVR M1XOVR - Elk M1 16 Output Epander 8 Relay 8 Low Voltage
47605-42B 47605-42B - Leviton Structured Media Centre 420 No Cover
M1XSP M1XSP - Elk M1 Series Lighting Expander & Serial / Thermostat Interface
47605-42C 47605-42C - Leviton Structured Media Centre 420 Cover
M1GSYS4-B M1GSYS4-B - Elk M1 Gold Complete System with M1KPB Keypad
CCTVP-1210-9 CCTVP-1210-9 CCTV Power Supply 12VDC 10A 9 Output
DG75 DG75 - Paradox PIR Motion Sensor Digital 90 lb Pet Immune

I still haven't decided on the whole house audio system, I'm leaning toward Russound but NUVO is still there. I also need a good supplier in Canada.
There's also the lighting, I've decided on ON-Q ALC, Aartech.ca doesn't sell it, so I'll likely need to go south of the border for that.

If you have any comments.....let er fly!!

I still haven't decided on the whole house audio system, I'm leaning toward Russound but NUVO is still there. I also need a good supplier in Canada.
There's also the lighting, I've decided on ON-Q ALC, Aartech.ca doesn't sell it, so I'll likely need to go south of the border for that.

If you have any comments.....let er fly!!
Hi Spintop - I too am muddling thru the whole house audio menagerie - (as well as locking in on a lighting technology) - please update us on your choice for the audio.
Thanks!
Edit/PS
What did you end up with for cameras??

This has been a great post to read. i too have looked at both ALC and the i-line products, i will likely implement the ALC, the switches blend in (look the same as dumb toggles) but i am disapointed in the scene switches. They just look cheap, but i think they are the best solution on the market, i will only go hardwired (cat5).

My questions is in regard to Network Audio/Video: I need a streaming media player, i have a Synology RS408 - network attached storage (NAS) server that streams to any media player. (it is actually an itunes server, a UPnP-enabled digital media adapter (DMA), and SAMBA compatible). I rip all my music, movies and videos to the server to view anywhere on the network, but my challenge is finding a reliable, intuitive media player. Currently i stream to a Eureka Zio 351 HD but it is quite primitive in its user interface. I want a product that allows album art browsing, sorting by artist name, song name, genre, movie name, movie type ... etc. Secondly i want a more basic model with output to a simple LCD panel (2 channel audio), and an advanced unit for a media room with minimum 5.1 but hopefully 7.1 audio.

Any ideas?!?

Thanks, Curt

ELK M1Gold
i-line demo kit
aprilaire HVAC

Curt, the designer scene switches are pretty good looking I think.
http://www.onqlegrand.com/products/364776-0

Maybe you are referring to the old ones?
http://www.onqlegrand.com/products/364720-0

Yes, the old one looks dated, but they sure are easier to use, as far as hitting the button. But this one has to be programmed with the software or at the keypad as opposed to walking around to the each light and setting the desire which you can do with first link.

Also, keep in mind you can use the quad to trigger events as well and its VERY VERY cheap. And very nice looking! Tiny buttons though. http://www.onqlegrand.com/products/364721-0

Also, with an Elk, you (presumably) could wire any type of plain, contact-closure switch into an input zone and have it trigger whatever lighting scene you want.

I'm open to suggestions for cool-looking switches to use instead of OnQ's.

Update to my progress:

I received the first load of parts for the ELK M1 and first impressions are very good. Within an hour or two I was able to do a power up on the bench and get familiar with the keypad. My PC doesn't have a serial port so I figured I make a stab at the Ethernet setup and it went without a hitch. Now I'm fumbling my way through the programming, it seems very intuitive.

I still have to buy the ALC interface and switches. Does anyone know of a supplier in Canada for ALC On-Q?

Setnet is very competitive and helpful if you can't get the pricing you desire from AAR Tech. Plus, most if not all Elk is created in the USA so the border is breeze.

I like a bus system for lighting control since i am tired of homerunning (old school technology) so many wires so that is why i haven't gone with the 8 button scene switches but that is the look i want. Elegant and clean. if i get a chance i will try to dig up some of the different scene switches that i desire.

Back