Please help fully specifying wire to purchase.

Hi All,

I just wanted to thank all the contributors to this thread. Reading the wiring 101 guide is one thing, but seeing discussion on why certain things are chosen is a definetely usefull.

I saved the thread for when i will hopefully soon be going through the same process.

Hey all,

If using stranded 22/4 or 22/2 for security stuff i there a benefit to putting those little crimpon connections (are the called spades? I'm not sure) on the wiring before terminating it on the elk terminals? Is 'tinning' recommended when terminating stranded or is 'twisting' generally sufficient?

Just a thought..also since quite a bit of the seurity sensors will need 4 wire i thought i would create a separate termination block where each run of 22/4 would terminal. That location would also serve as power distributions ( 2 sections of distributon, 1 for 'permanent' power related to motions and glass breaks, 1 for 'switched' power for smokes). From those terminal blocks i would then run the signal wiring over to the elk. Would this work and has anybody done this?

Separately..are all 'neg' terminals related to the zones equal? And if this is true cant i just distribute the 'neg' at the proposed terminal block and only run a single wire per zone to the elk?

Still trying to wrap my head around the whole thing.

I have seen that some use 'punchdown' blocks (66 or 110 or somethng). I am not that familiar with these. Woudl this be a good solution for the above? Anybody have any close-up pictures?

Hey all,

If using stranded 22/4 or 22/2 for security stuff i there a benefit to putting those little crimpon connections (are the called spades? I'm not sure) on the wiring before terminating it on the elk terminals? Is 'tinning' recommended when terminating stranded or is 'twisting' generally sufficient?

Dunno about most of that stuff, but for my security reed switches, I specifically went with the kind that didn't have a pigtail, but instead takes the wire in directly...that way I didn't have to worry about any wire connections in the wall. I'm very pleased with how it works.

Back