PowerCost Monitor

lazyone

I don't know if any of you have seen this product, but it looks like a very cool little gadget. It is a power cost monitor that works like the wireless weather stations. The sensor attaches to your electric meter. The base unit receives the signal from the sensor. It allows you to track whole house energy use. Price = $150 CDN

http://www.save-electricity.ca/powercost-monitor.html

I was planning on getting one of these, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't a lower cost or better alternative.

lz

But I suspect the OneMeter is more accurate than the Upland. Since the Upland lacks voltage connections, it is guessing at the voltage and the power factor.

I'll add one more:

The Energy Detective

Split CT's in the breaker box, connected to only 1 leg of power and transmits to the receiver via a PLC modem. I consider the "only connected to 1 leg" a shortfall but I can't tell how far off it is.

I don't use the cost/KW feature because I have 3 phase in my house (older house, delta leg) so it doesn't get the A/C units but as-is it's saved me 4x over what it cost just by knowing what some stuff was costing to leave on.

The site says the TED 5000 w/PC connection is coming - it's been that way for 18 months. Likewise with a "commercial" version that would support 3-phase power. I've chatted with the guys that run the company and, while they are working on the new versions, I gather they've had some large opportunities with utility companies that they couldn't pass on.

Jay

Looks like some good options. I didn't remember the T.E.D. being only $140. Good to know. The only problem that I have is that I have 2 - 200 AMP panels in my home, so costs double for most of these installs (or completely eliminates them). Does anyone know if any of the mentioned meters can handle 4 separate CTs? If so, that would be a desired feature.

lz

lazyone said:
Does anyone know if any of the mentioned meters can handle 4 separate CTs?
As I recall, the OneMeter can support a bunch of CTs so you could also monitor interesting individual circuits.

As I recall, the OneMeter ASCII protocol was published, so that should be doable. BUT, you would have to look at the protocol to see what data it is putting out and think about how you want to use that data. some of that data is instantaneous and it is totally up to you to log it, accumulate it and graph it.

As I recall, the Upland has a binary protocol that would probably be more complex to decode. TED doesn't have a serial port, so no fun there, but they have been promising one for a long time.

noshali said:
Anyone of these [power cost monitor that works like the wireless weather stations] that can be integrated into CQC or any other HA software?
Perhaps, one day that will be possible. :unsure:

One of our Insteon partners (can't say which one) is developing an product that uses Insteon communications between the sensors at the breaker box and an indoor display unit.

Tell me what you would like to see and I'll pass along the ideas.

SJ

Now that is interesting news SJ. Guess I will delay my purchase for a while and see what becomes available. Any idea of a release date?

SmarthomeJohn said:
One of our Insteon partners (can't say which one) is developing an product that uses Insteon communications between the sensors at the breaker box and an indoor display unit.
Will it have a serial interface or some method of interfacing to a computer for logging & graphing?

SmarthomeJohn said:
noshali said:
Anyone of these [power cost monitor that works like the wireless weather stations] that can be integrated into CQC or any other HA software?
Perhaps, one day that will be possible. :unsure:

Tell me what you would like to see and I'll pass along the ideas.

SJ
I'd very much like to be able to connect to an automation program (I prefer HomeSeer) to monitor power use, store it in an Access or Excel file, and graph it over time. It would be great to be able to do this for both whole house and individual circuits.

Back