Pre-wire for a Unattached Garage

pete_c said:
sbex55,

Here I am using two switches for zone status on the two garage doors.  Its overdoing it a bit but one is for the garage door in the down position and the other is for the garage door in the up position.  I have left the original garage door motor wiring in place (with the light sensors et al).

The garage itself is also a Russound Zone and subzone for audio.  I did also add one RG6 for MM video.  I rebroadcast stuff internally on RG6.  That said though you could also add an XBMC box and stream TV stuff to it.  (added network, Russound controller Cat5e, audio speaker wire).

Pete - thanks for the ideas.  I might add speaker wire to the wire pull list.  Thanks again!

drvnbysound said:
I have 14 hard wired zones used on my M1, so I was going to use a XIN to add the additional contacts/sensors anyway. However, I don't foresee adding any more hardwired zones to my main partition, so it was an easier decision for me to add the XIN to the detached garage. Additionally, I wanted the ability to trigger a siren/speaker separately for the garage, hence the XOVR; as I'm already using my built-in output for garage door control. A DBH to tie those and the keypad together (preference)... and that leaves me with (1) category wire pull needed between structures.

Thanks.  Can I use the databus to control the overhead door opener?  I thought that needed a separate 18 awg wire.

sbex55 said:
Thanks.  Can I use the databus to control the overhead door opener?  I thought that needed a separate 18 awg wire.

No the databus is used to allow the M1 to communicate with other databus devices (e.g. keypads, XEP, XSP, XINs, XOVRs, etc). I used the onboard output from the M1 to control my garage door; leaving all of the existing wiring in place that would generally be used to operate a garage door.

Just so I understand my options ... if I wanted the following items in the garage:

1 - Two Door Contacts
     2 - Keypad
     3 - Motion Detector  
     4 - Garage Door Control
     5 - Camera

Using an XIN and a power supply (like P212S) I would need to pull:
     - Cat5 (for items 1, 2 and 3)
     - 18/2 (for item 4)
     - Cat5 or RG6 (for item 5) - can I use the P212S to power most outside cameras?

I would need to spend approximately $300 for XIN, P212S, 1280 battery and run power to the garage enclosure.  

I would gain expandability in the garage as well free up some zones on my main panel and save some power.  I would eliminate the need to pull 3 wires (2 22/4's and 18/4 for camera power).

Do I have this right?

Looks good to me. Understand that motions also require power to function. This would likely run off the P212S.

Regarding the camera and the P212S - Possibly. Realize that the P212S outputs are 12VDC, and that the max output is 2A (total current)... so you will have to consider the current draw of the motion (minimal, but a consideration) as well.

So ... should I use direct burial wire even though I have PVC conduit?  Various forums indicate the conduit will fill up with water and direct burial wire will protect from this problem. 

Thanks.

Conduit outside, even though sealed, is always considered a wet location by code. Either a W suffix wire or outdoor direct burial rated, or simply outdoor rated/gel filled, assuming the run is not vertical.

DELInstallations said:
Conduit outside, even though sealed, is always considered a wet location by code. Either a W suffix wire or outdoor direct burial rated, or simply outdoor rated/gel filled, assuming the run is not vertical.

Thanks!

I would also think about temp sensors. Those need to go directly back to the M1 and can't go on the XINs. I think they are three wires?

We ended up installing our p212s in the M1 enclosure, then running a 18/2 wire for power to the garage (about 50' away.) The garage did not need a whole lot of power.

We also buried conduits, i think a 4" for telco. I would recommend conduit over buried wires since once they are buried, you need to dig to add anything. Made that mistake before.

Back