Problem with Elk reporting to NextAlarm via HAI C3 - common?

michelkenny

I've got an Elk M1 panel in Canada. I just started an account with Next Alarm using my HAI C3 and a prepaid SIM. I am experiencing a problem when the Elk is calling out using Contact ID and I wanted to know if this was a common problem with any central station, a common problem with Next Alarm or maybe a problem with the HAI C3.

I turn on butt set mode on the Elk. I then initiate a reportable event (either AC power fail or comms test). The Elk gets a dial tone and dials Next Alarm. I hear the line ring and then they pickup and play a 2300 hz tone. The Elk then proceeds to play the Contact ID DTMF tones 4 times until it receives another 2300 hz tone. The problem is that every time Next Alarm answers and plays the 1st 2300 hz tone, it will transfer the call and I will hear ringing again. When the call gets picked up a 2nd time, I hear modem tones (like a fax machine) and then another 2300 hz tone. It is after this point that Next Alarm is ready for the Contact ID tones, but the problem is that the Elk already began transmitting earlier. Sometimes Next Alarm will be ready to hear the Elk's 4th set of tones, but most of the time it takes too long and the Elk gives up and tries again. Sometimes the Elk will repeat a 2nd time and it works, sometimes 4 more times and it doesn't work.

Any ideas?

I've heard good things about Alarm Relay but unfortunately they do not monitor Canada yet... any other good recommendations?

Without hearing the exact process, CID sounds give a handshake, (beep, boop, beep boop, beep boop) then the data (diga-diga-diga-diga-diga), and after the initial event, you'll hear the single "boop" which is the CS receiver acknoledging and giving a kissoff, so it sounds like the cell is the suspect and not the panel, as it didn't get a valid kissoff tone oir the cell is getting that tone and doing something abnormal.

There was another post on here several months ago, exactly the same. They switched to watchlight alarm relay and all was well after that. I have used the c3 unit exclusively (no land line) with watchlight alarm relay for 2 years now without a single problem.

As a side note, I used to use the hai c3 for my home phone as well. I noticed that some of the touchtone auto-attendants (the ones that might say "push 2 for customer service") would not work via the hai c3, while other worked just fine. I suspect the hai unit isn't quite pure in its transmission of dtmf tones and lower quality auto-attendants couldn't recognize it. I think Next Alarm falls into the lower quality dtmf comprehension category.

Just speculation but, I suspect that the backhaul and codecs used for cellular voice are not capable of consistent ContactID transmission. ContactID over cellular voice may ultimately suffer the same problems as ContactID over voip. For this reason, I don't think a UL approved solution using cellular voice exists.

Just speculation but, I suspect that the backhaul and codecs used for cellular voice are not capable of consistent ContactID transmission. ContactID over cellular voice may ultimately suffer the same problems as ContactID over voip. For this reason, I don't think a UL approved solution using cellular voice exists.

I don't know about UL, but watchlight expressed no concern about using the hai c3 unit and they have backed that up with flawless service for more than 2 years.

I have the same setup, it was working flawlessly for 1.5 years with next alarm, and then 6 months ago I had issues for about 2 weeks and they went away. Then in the last week I have been having issues again. I call next alarm and they just blame the C3, I call HAI and they say there should not be a problem. Since it worked perfect for 1.5 years and nothing changed on my end, I really think it is next alarm's problem and they are not helpful. I am about to give alarm relay my business.

I have the same setup, it was working flawlessly for 1.5 years with next alarm, and then 6 months ago I had issues for about 2 weeks and they went away. Then in the last week I have been having issues again. I call next alarm and they just blame the C3, I call HAI and they say there should not be a problem. Since it worked perfect for 1.5 years and nothing changed on my end, I really think it is next alarm's problem and they are not helpful. I am about to give alarm relay my business.

Redhot,

There is another post in here about next alarm that is pretty much exactly the same as your experience. It worked intermittantly and next alarm claimed no responsibility. That person switched to alarm relay (watchlight) during a next alarm "outage" and it immediately worked. If you can find that thread you might pm that person to see if they still have no probs. This was probably a year ago. I can only speak for myself when I say that alarm relay has never had an "outage" in about 2 years.

I am considering using Alarm Relay but I have some simple questions first. I called their support line during their normal business hours and get a recording saying leave a message and someone will get back to you. So far that is not working out as nobody calls back.

I tried filling out the online question form expecting a reply within a day but didn't get one.

Is this normal for them not to answer the phone on a weekday during the day and not to answer their contact firm from the website?

I am considering using Alarm Relay but I have some simple questions first. I called their support line during their normal business hours and get a recording saying leave a message and someone will get back to you. So far that is not working out as nobody calls back.

I tried filling out the online question form expecting a reply within a day but didn't get one.

Is this normal for them not to answer the phone on a weekday during the day and not to answer their contact firm from the website?

I did not have that experience. I called and spoke to a person who scheduled a phone call with tech support a day or two later. They called on time and walked me through the setup process. They knew exactly what to tell me with the Elk as well as my friends dsc. I have done this twice as I installed my system and a friends system. I did mine about 1.5 years ago and my friends a few months ago.

More important, now that I am hooked up, I always get a person calling me within a few seconds of an alarm. If I don't pick up, I always get a person when I call them back. I probably have had 20 false alarms in the 1.5 years of being connected to them. Originally, the system was setup to report if someone accessed remote programming. I did this a lot and got a ton of calls from them. They never complained, but I finally disabled that feature as it was counter productive.

When I have changed things such as phone numbers and stuff, they always request an email from my registered account. They have always acknowledged the email within 24 hours and done what I requested. I also always send an email if I leave town letting them know who will be watching the house and stuff and they acknowledge receipt of those as well.

In short, I have zero complaints.

I have a few systems I want to move over to them but I can't do business with them if they don't even answer the phone during business hours. I will call again tomorrow and email again tomorrow but if they don't answer I will stick with NextAlarm. NextAlarm is not perfect but at least they answer the phone.

If they support direct TCP/IP monitoring from the XEP i would be interested. Another requirement would be text messaging for all status changes and alarms as several of the systems i have installed are for eldercare.

Can you PM me their information (website etc).

Thanks

Back