Problems setting up M1

Im finally getting around to setting up my M1gold. I dont have any suitable wire for the AC power so Im running off of the battery. I have 2 keypads wired using the DBH board (J1 and J2) and 1 zone expansion card (J3) with the terminating plug on J4 and JP3 terminated at the control box. I used closed loop contacts on the windows with rare earth magnets, no EOL resistors.
Two problems so far are

1. When I set the address for the second KP to 2, the KP beeps and shows "Lost comm". I cant seem to set the address.

2. KP 1 shows "Not Ready 15 ZN". All zones show a closed loop with an Ohm meter but only 1 shows any voltage according to the manual.

So, where do i start?

1. Did you go thru the bus module enrollment? You need to do that first for keypad and XIN expander.

2. You need to configure the zones in ElkRP. If they default to EOL and you are not using EOLs the zones will show as not ready. Change the zones to Normally Closed and you should be ok.

Steve said:
1. Did you go thru the bus module enrollment? You need to do that first for keypad and XIN expander.
I cant get anything past "1-view control". Arrow keys dont do anything. I tried pressing "ELK" then 9 (or scroll up) and nothing changes.

Ok, I got power to the control. With a little finangleing, I was able to get the first KP working and the expansion card working. When I plug in my second KP to the DB Hub, neithor KP will allow me to access any of the menus.

Make sure everything is terminated properly. If it is just 2 kpds and an XIN on a DBH then the termination jumpers on the XIN and keypads must be off (not terminated) then the jumper on the M1 gets connected to terminate 1 end of the bus and the temination plug in the DBH terminates the other end of the bus.

If you have trouble with the keypads, after they are all connected correctly then do the bus enrollment via ElkRP.

I suggest you measure the resistance across Data A and Data B on the RS-485 keypad data bus. It should read about 50 to 70 ohms. Less than 40 ohms means to many terminating resistors. 120 ohms and above means not enough terminating resistors.

Glad you are marching on!!

Hang in there and keep us posted.

I was getting about 65 ohms between A and B.
The sensor problems were pretty easy to figure out. For some reason, I never put the magnets in the windows. Easy to solve, but I feel pretty stupid. My last two sensors are the motion sensors. I may have a problem here since I only have 2 conductors going to each sensor. I believe that I need 4.

Hmm, I just changed the user code and now i cant disarm. The factory code wont work eithor. It was working before I changed the code.

ktm250rider said:
Hmm, I just changed the user code and now i cant disarm. The factory code wont work eithor. It was working before I changed the code.
I've reported the same problem several times. Try sending user codes to the panel with ELKRP several times. Also try entering the code, arming, then entering the same code and disarming.

I actually saw this about a month ago (actually my wife did). I thought it was her. Oops! Now I cant open this thread at home....... :blink:

I currently dont have RP and entering the original user code and the one I set dont seem to do anything. The only response i get is when I enter the installer code but thats just the dong.

ktm250rider said:
rfdesq said:
What about getting a copy of ELKRP?
Where, how would i do that? It would be great if i had a lap top, but i could pull the desktop to the basement if i had the software.
Give ELK tech support a call. Give them your panel serial number and they will set you up on the ELK dealer page. There you can download all of the latest firmware/software for the M1.

Back