windows contact

beaumeri

Hi,
I've purchased some VIP94-2n contacts and based on Flairsecurity web site they are rated for 3/4" to 1" gag. See their description bellow.

Features:
3/8" Dia. x 3/4" L
White and Brown
Closed Loop
UL Approved
18" Wire Leads
3/4" Gap, Bare Donut Magnet

Description:
The VIP Contacts are Closed Loop with magnet present and come in white or brown typically. The VIP Contacts have Rare Earth Magnets which produce typical gaps of 3/4" to 1", the widest in the Industry. Other components include Gold Plated Hermetically Sealed Reeds, 3M VHB Double Stick Tape, ABS Fire Retardant Cases, Nickle Plated Terminals and 18" UL Listed 22 AWG Wire with ends stripped.

When I put my tester on the lead of the contact and get the contact closer to the magnet it only trigger at 1/2" to 5/8" Is this normal? If I use their stubby it trigger at about 1".

On my casement windows I have 1" gap and I was going to use the donuts magnet with 2 nylon washer underneath to get 3/4" gap..

Any suggestion on this?

Was this performed with the sensor already installed in the window? If so, can you test a contact on a (non metallic) bench and see if that differs?

The idea of magnetic contacts and their gap is to not push them to their limit. It sounds like your application needs spacers or a different style of contact.

The gap is different than a make/break distance. Usually, even with WG contacts, the goal is to get within 1/4-3/8" gap.

Back