Question for the Electrical Code Experts - House Wiring

KenM

Hi all,

I have a 1959 vintage house in Southern Ca. The 'electricians' who originally wired the house used an outlet in the back bath as a connection point to all of the outlets in the back bedroom. All of the outlets are two pin, no ground type.

My concern (other than I need to rewire the whole place) is that the back bath outlet sometime will get quite warm/hot when the back bedroom is using above about 1000 watts of power. I have replaced the wall junction/outlet in the back bath, and have verified that the connections look good. At the back bath outlet, the two wire connections are both solid copper wire that has been 'connected' by the screws on the outlet. They still get warm/hot.

Here is my main question: If I solder the wires at the back bath outlet (to lower resistance/heat); Which codes might I violate.

Opinions and suggestions (other than get a new house) are welcomed.

Thanks All

ken

Hi all,

I have a 1959 vintage house in Southern Ca. The 'electricians' who originally wired the house used an outlet in the back bath as a connection point to all of the outlets in the back bedroom. All of the outlets are two pin, no ground type.

My concern (other than I need to rewire the whole place) is that the back bath outlet sometime will get quite warm/hot when the back bedroom is using above about 1000 watts of power. I have replaced the wall junction/outlet in the back bath, and have verified that the connections look good. At the back bath outlet, the two wire connections are both solid copper wire that has been 'connected' by the screws on the outlet. They still get warm/hot.

Here is my main question: If I solder the wires at the back bath outlet (to lower resistance/heat); Which codes might I violate.

Thanks All

ken

Other than "this is not a good idea" - Actually getting the switch hot enough to melt solder would probably ruin it - No idea if the NEC specifically forbids it.

My electrician solders most of his connections - says it is allowed by code.

Just had this issue with a house we are building - inspector was not sure - checked on it - came back said all was good.

Hi all,

Thanks All

ken
I would first determine the gauge of the conductors and the type of insulation on the conductors. Generally speaking most insulation types of that vintage will be rated at 60 degrees Celsius. (the vintage device is also rated for 60 degrees as well) Todays standard is 90 degrees. Soldering the connection is not a violation but most likely not solve your problem. Make sure any joints/ connections are tight! Loose or sloppy connections can arc , heat up and cause a fire. . You did not specify what amp rating the overcurrent protection is on this circuit .(what size fuse or circuit breaker?) If you are not sure what gauge the conductor in question is then use 15 amp max . Also you stated that you were using 1000 watts on this circuit . You should use an Amprobe and pinpoint you exact load on this circuit. The receptacle should not be warm/hot. You can also use an infrared temp gauge where you suspect any overheating.

I would suggest you pigtail the connection to the outlet.

I'm with this; pigtail the connections. I never use a switch or outlet as a "through" device to route current to other parts of the circuit -- seen too many burned-up outlets caused by that. How many conductors do you have coming together in that box? If it's more than 3, consider using one of those no-strip push-in connectors.

I would suggest you pigtail the connection to the outlet.

I'm with this; pigtail the connections. I never use a switch or outlet as a "through" device to route current to other parts of the circuit -- seen too many burned-up outlets caused by that. How many conductors do you have coming together in that box? If it's more than 3, consider using one of those no-strip push-in connectors.

I would agree with the others on the pigtailling. Dont go via the outlet... hook all blacks together, all whites together and all grounds together and just use a short peice of wire from that pigtail to connect to the outlet. That being said your outlet should be a GFI which means all that power should have been going through a GFI..

1000 watts is 8.3 amps..

If it was me, I would pull a new circuit for the bathroom with a ground and a neutral and all that good stuff :) and then use existing circuit for the back bedroom only.

Thanks for all the ideas. The circuit is on a 15 amp breaker. I think I will try the pigtail idea. The outlet only gets warm when cloths ironing is going on, I guess electric irons were still a novelty back in the 50s :) .

Thanks for all the ideas. The circuit is on a 15 amp breaker. I think I will try the pigtail idea. The outlet only gets warm when cloths ironing is going on, I guess electric irons were still a novelty back in the 50s ;) .
[/quote

that's what i did...be careful

family handyman has a good article this month on safety issues in the main box....

Back