Question on my plan for wiring bedroom speakers (new construction)

tsk

I'm building a new house and trying to get in all my low voltage wiring shortly.  I've run ridiculous amounts of cat 6 wire throughout the house and conduit up the wazoo....

Now, I was going to go and wire speakers in the bedrooms (in ceiling Speakercrafts likely).  I bought a bunch of 12 gauge speaker wire a while back so I think my wire is overkill. 

I planned on running wire as such for each bedroom:

From bedroom closet to media room in basement (kinda a "homerun")
From bedroom closet to speakers in ceiling
From bedroom closet to TV panel

I then figure I can put a cover on in the closet with 3 speaker connections and I can jumper the setup however I want.  If someone wants to run a Sonos box, they can hook up the sonos box in the closet direct to the speakers.  If they want their TV hooked to the speakers they can junction that.  If we want to switch to a central audio setup in the basement (effectively making it a homerun), I can jumper that.

Is this a horrible idea?  I realize relying on jumpers will degrade the performance but I think the degragation will likely be minor especially with decent wiring.  Any other pitfalls?

i would say that is a pretty good way to go, signal loss from a jumper would only be noticed buy people who buy $100 power cables and even then not until you told them it was there.  I am not a fan but lots of people like having keypads in each room, so it might be worth adding that wiring in to your closet box as well.

I was planning on running cat 6 from there to a keypad location (and keeping the wire buried in the drywall till/if needed).  Do I need to run speaker wire too?

I would run Speaker wire back and forth to your closet junction (4 runs of 12/2 or 2 runs of 12/4) from a keypad location, then you are covered for absolutely everything.

I agree with the others - the closet junction is a great idea and I would have absolutely no concerns with any signal loss due to jumpers or junctions.

Back