Questions on Elk M1G features/capabilities.

Swancoat

Hi, I'm looking to replace my builder-grade panel with an Elk M1G, partially to add some new capabilities right out of the box, but partially because I want to be able to eventually expand my integration between it and the rest of my HA setup.

I've got a few remaining specific questions I hope people can help me with here:

1. For some asinine reason, my builder only included one doorbell, and it's upstairs (handy if I'm upstairs, but I can barely hear it downstairs if the TV is on or anything). I thought it would be a good idea to use a doorbell interface, and just have a rule or something that puts an announcement out at the keypads (M1KP2 with speaker behind). What would be the latency of such a setup? Would it be more or less instant, or is there a few seconds of lag? (and if I DON'T use KP2, can I make a KP1 beep/buzz with specific tone or something?)

2. On the KP2. I see the KP1 has dimmable illumination, but I can't find anything that says that for KP2 (which would be directly viewable from my bed). Is KP2 dimmable?

3. I can't seem to find the right speaker/part for attaching a speaker to the KP2 back box. Anyone have a part no or link?

4. My builder used a 4 wire hookup for the keypads, but in a moment of foresight, I had him run Cat5 to each keypad location. These are terminated in a patch panel. Will this work to connect the Elk databus hub -> patch panel -> keypads?

Any additional advice on keypads is welcome. I like the KP2 because I think it looks better and can support a speaker behind it. I pause because I'm not sure I can dim the lights on it and it doesn't have a cover. (Do the lights at least dim or shut off when not in use)?

Thank you!

1. I don't use the Elk doorbell detector (I assume that is what you are referring to) and instead have the coil on the doorbell trigger a wireless X-10 DS10A that goes to the Ekm M1 via a W800RF32 receiver. I have virtually no latency over this wireless setup, and the nice Elk lady then alerts me to the doorbell via Elk speakers upstairs and in the basement. Assuming you get the doorbell input to ELk someway, you can set up a rule in ELk to have her say something or have the system do some other task (e.g. flash lights). I recently integrated my Elk with CQC and now am not limited to the 600 or so canned Elk vocabulary, and can instead play a WAV or send any text I want to speech. There are lots of postings on doorbell options.

2. You should be able to turn off the illumination for KP2 via ElkRP under keypads "LEDs off after 60 sec of no activity." I have never tried to dim from the pad itself.

3. Most people use an Elk SP-12F flush mount speaker, and as detailed in an old post from Spanky, just break off the plastic backing and use the speaker in the KP2 enclosure. See This Thread.

4. No experience.

Good luck.

2. On the KP2. I see the KP1 has dimmable illumination, but I can't find anything that says that for KP2 (which would be directly viewable from my bed). Is KP2 dimmable?

4. My builder used a 4 wire hookup for the keypads, but in a moment of foresight, I had him run Cat5 to each keypad location. These are terminated in a patch panel. Will this work to connect the Elk databus hub -> patch panel -> keypads?

Any additional advice on keypads is welcome. I like the KP2 because I think it looks better and can support a speaker behind it. I pause because I'm not sure I can dim the lights on it and it doesn't have a cover. (Do the lights at least dim or shut off when not in use)?

Thank you!

I have a couple KP2s, one of which sits on top of the nightstand next to the bed. The illumination is adjustable, but we found it too bright even at max dim. I have it set to turn off after 60 seconds of no activity. Unfortunately, this turns off not only the display, but the backlighting for the keys as well. I have the F1 and F2 buttons set to flash if the garage doors are open, but they also go dark after 60 sec. I wish the F-keys could be made to flash in spite of the remainder of the keypad being dark, but I found an even more effective solution. I have an Elk rule that announces "A garage door is open" every 10 minutes if it detects an open door and it is dark outside.

The Cat5 cable works well for the keypads and arming stations. I have a couple Cat5e outlets behind the headboard, so I choppped one connector off a patch cable and wired it to the nightstand keypad. The network cables terminate at a patch panel next to my security panel, so I used another patch cable to go to the Elk's wiring hub. I'm glad to have a keypad at the bed when something unexpected happens in the middle of the night. I've found it convenient to have it connected with the patch cord because I have used it temporarily in other locations for troubleshooting. I have a speaker in a wall mount in the bedroom, but I mounted the speaker to the back of the KP2 as TurboSam described in the other location. I use a Keypad Arming Station in a less important location, but the M1KPAS has no provision for a speaker.

Cat 5 works perfectly for keypads. That is how all of mine are wired up. If you get the elk m1dbh it makes hooking the other end up to the panel a breeze as well. Assuming you home-ran each cat5 the dbh is specifically designed for using cat5 to keypads and accessory boards like relay boards.

So, I used the Elk Doorbell detector - specifically because I didn't want to give up my lighted doorbell button. I didn't want both so I took the plates off the doorbell so it still activates the detector but doesn't make a sound from the doorbell. I then took an Elk 124 Recordable Module and recorded my own sounds - via the computer. It works out pretty well - I can change the sound based on the seasons. I can also play pre-programmed sounds for different events, like halloween door opening, etc.

Use the Cat5 for the keypads and the existing wire for the speakers and maybe another accessory.

KP2 is dimmable with the limitations Photon mentioned - I keep one in the Master Bedroom with dimming - it works for me.

As turbosam said - the sp12 is the speaker to use behind the keypads - works great - it's all I use!

Back