Replacing ademco

english_1969

I have medium sized ademco visto 20p with about 16 wireless devices along with several wired devices.

I was wondering if it is at all possible to re-use these wireless devices with any other security system (i.e. elk, hai)

I am replacing becuase the 20P has little connectivity options.

I am a homeseer user.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Unfortunately I believe the Ademco wireless devices are proprietary and will not work with other systems like Elk. You will need GE Caddx wireless devices for use with the Elk.

That is what I keep hearing....arrgh.

As an alternative, I've read that the Vista 128 with a serial interface module can obviously be accessed from a PC.

Anyone aware of any plans for a plug-in for homeseer for this arrangement?

I know that the HAL2000 (?) system works with it.

I doubt you will see a plugin as already stated most everyone has gone with an Elk. Most authors nowadays see plugins as money...

tech-home said:
I doubt you will see a plugin as already stated most everyone has gone with an Elk. Most authors nowadays see plugins as money...
Not all authors and not all products are like this. I know of several substantial products where there's no charge for any drivers/plug-ins, and end-users freely submit more into the product for general release just for the karma of it all.

"I doubt you will see a plugin as already stated most everyone has gone with an Elk."
Cinemar has access to an Ademco plugin that works with MainLobby.

"Most authors nowadays see plugins as money..."
Yes. Software creation does pay the bills for many. Just like everyone else here has a job that they charge for those services. Some still like to moonlight and share for the community spirit and fun. The problem with that model is long term support. Which, for a dealer, is a big time problem as he/she is where the buck stops. Now, for the DIY'r, you can't complain about something that was free.

"products where there's no charge for any drivers/plug-ins"
An interesting business model to see what it's survival is in the commercial marketplace. Ok for the DIY'r who can throw it all away and start again, very risky for a dealer's long term support and investment, IMHO.

"end-users freely submit more into the product for general release just for the karma of it all"
Yes, this is a cool thing and supported by several, if not most, PC based HA software.

I notice we are getting a LOT of calls from Ademco/Vista owners asking for options of various sorts for their systems.

I sent an Email to the president of in2nets.com asking if his product line (reviewed HERE) could be used for these systems.

I realize HomeSeer has a plugin, I was trying to get additonal options available to Ademco owners.

The demo I saw of in2nets product/software line was very impressive.

"products where there's no charge for any drivers/plug-ins"
An interesting business model to see what it's survival is in the commercial marketplace. Ok for the DIY'r who can throw it all away and start again, very risky for a dealer's long term support and investment, IMHO.

Speaking as a business exec, I prefer to predict success through seperating facts into leading vs lagging indicators. I believe that charging for drivers is a lagging indicator, as if you're able to generate a profitable and recurring revenue stream through that channel, you've clearly got something the market values. But, it's a lagging indicator, and as the above HomeSeer/Vista statement indicates, by the time you notice a difference it's too late.

However, I believe that passionate adoption by a diverse set of DIY'ers is a solid leading indicator as to a software product's long-term success. We're typically the early adopters of technology, and if we can prove out a model that adds value, we build the market that the dealers then come in and expand to the non-DIY contingent. The passionate DIY adopter also provide that "extra handholding support and service" a dealer needs in order to get started, as no one small company can be expected to be all things to all people.

For me, if I'm a dealer and am looking to determine what path to choose, I'd certainly embrace the passionate path as it typically has more $$ affiliated with it.

It's certainly worked for Redhat.

BraveSirRobbin said:
I realize HomeSeer has a plugin, I was trying to get additonal options available to Ademco owners.

The demo I saw of in2nets product/software line was very impressive.
Let us know when you hear back. If this stays at the $100 price point, I would be very interested. Thanks for the info.

I EMailed the president of in2nets.com and he graciously replied as follows:

We are rapidly expanding our base of compatible products. Here is a list of supported products available today;

Honeywell Apex Security
Honeywell EnviraCOM Heating/Cooling
Lutron RadioRa Lighting
SimplyAutomated -- UPB Lighting (coming soon)
SmartHome -- Insteon Lighting (coming soon)
X-10 Lighting (coming soon)
ESI Motorized Shades/Blinds/Drapes (coming soon)
D-Link IP Cameras
Panasonic IP Cameras
In2 8.4" WinXPE TouchScreen

We have demonstrated compatibility with Honeywell Ademco/Vista security systems. This product is scheduled for release in the fall. Lots of demand and excitement surrounding this one. Compatibility with the entire line of Honeywell/Ademco Vista security panels including First Alert Pro panels. Backward compatible with Ademco/Vista series security panels for the past 7+ years.

Things are moving quickly...I will keep you posted as we continue to release new products.

He also gave me a contact person for people wanting detailed information about their product lines. I have his permission to distribute this Email but will do so only via private message (to reduce spamming them).

Does anyone have any experience with the Ademco Symphony pads? Specifically the one with ethernet connectivty.

Anyway to get this to work from a controller (i.e. homeseer)?

Back