Robbed

mdonovan

Well, add me to the list of people whose houses have been broken into. I came home from work and backed into the garage like normal. Nothing looked wrong. I went into the house and the first thing I noticed was the door to the basement is hanging wide open. I know I didn't leave it that way, so I walk over to the living room. My TV is gone, a PC monitor is gone, speakers and subwoofer are gone. Went upstairs and in the bedrooms all the drawers are pulled out and thrown around, contents dumped. So I call 911, get transferred three times, and get the cops out. They do their thing and leave.

I could see the whole break in by looking at the evidence. There were tire tracks in the grass beside the house where they backed their vehicle up. That side of the house is blocked by trees. There's a back door to the garage that is totally invisible from the road. (I only have one neighbor and they can't see my house. The rest is all woods.) They kicked that door in and then kicked through the door from the garage into the house and proceeded to trash the place. It looks very obvious they were interrupted by something, but I have no idea what. I have 2 computers in the living room. All the cables had been taken out, but they were not taken. I have one of those Black & Decker battery tool sets, and they had them all collected in the case, but left them in the basement. The outside basement door was left open, so for whatever reason they had to leave from the basement rather than a door that would have taken them out right to their car.

So, their total take was a TV, monitor, speakers, and about 30 dollars. They didn't find a laptop under my bed (an on call laptop for work) and they didn't take any checks, which tells me it was a couple of young punks.

So my responses to this are going to be phased (I wish I had done all this before!)

Phase 1 is to beef up my perimeter defenses. Door jamb reinforcement, dead bolts, and window film will help keep them out. Move my raised garden beds to the spot where they backed in (I was going to do this anyway). This way any car will be more visible to the road.

Phase 2 is to get my Elk set up and working and on the internet. I have just a couple sensors set up for testing, but that's as far as I ever got.

Phase 3 is video cameras to cover the entire house and yard.

I want to build a TV stand, and I'm going to take my media PC and mount the components in the stand somehow. The TV will be somehow attached to the stand which will be attached to the floor or wall.

This is a bummer. I almost had enough saved up to put in hardwood floors, That was my next thing to get done. Now I need to replace TV, speakers, and monitor. So much for flooring :hesaid:

Sorry to hear this happened. You may want to invest in some piezo screamers (I'm partial to the Moose ones) and place them all over your house and outside since you live in a rural area (they will make staying inside very uncomfortable) and they draw very little current.

If you need any help, let us know!

Phase 1 is to beef up my perimeter defenses. Door jamb reinforcement, dead bolts, and window film will help keep them out. Move my raised garden beds to the spot where they backed in (I was going to do this anyway). This way any car will be more visible to the road.

Phase 2 is to get my Elk set up and working and on the internet. I have just a couple sensors set up for testing, but that's as far as I ever got.

Phase 3 is video cameras to cover the entire house and yard.

I want to build a TV stand, and I'm going to take my media PC and mount the components in the stand somehow. The TV will be somehow attached to the stand which will be attached to the floor or wall.

This is a bummer. I almost had enough saved up to put in hardwood floors, That was my next thing to get done. Now I need to replace TV, speakers, and monitor. So much for flooring :hesaid:

Phase 1 - Don't go *too* overboard with this. If they want to get in, they will get in. I look at this as something that will slow them down, which gives me time to react when I'm home, or a little less time to grab stuff before the cops arrive. Hidden service doors on the back of the garage should definitely be a point of concern. Most burglaries happen through these. I'm in the process of putting one in because my garage doesn't have one at all, and it's one of those commercial steel frame doors, and it will be anchored into the 6" thick poured concrete wall. Luckily, other than the purchase of the insane steel door, it was already set up for me to go *overboard* with since I have to cut through 6" of concrete. Another thing to consider for a garage service door is to get one that opens outwards so it cannot be kicked in. I switched the one at my rental property out after it was kicked in several times, and now, it just has lots of footprints and pry marks on it. People give up if it's too difficult. It's just a standard flat steel service door with a wood frame. $80 at Menards. And I put a Schlage keypad deadbolt in it.

How long have you had the ELK? I would make that a priority to install after you fix the door(s). You're lucky they didn't steal it. :) Here's the thing, if they left stuff behind, they are probably going to come back for it. And, if they got good stuff, they will wait for you or insurance to replace it, and then come back for it. My sister-in-law has been robbed *THREE* times this year. Most likely the same people all three times because they kicked in the same door, at the same time of day, and stole the same stuff every time. She won't listen to me and turn on her security system (yes, she has one, but it's powered off, long story). Neighbor on the street behind me, robbed 4 times in the last year. Same things stolen every time, house broken into the same way.

Hook up the interior speakers, get a siren on the outside of the house, and use wireless sensors if you need to get it installed quickly. I hate to be an alarmist (haha, I made a pun), but they will likely be back since they now know what you have. And no level of door reinforcement is going to stop them from getting in, they'll just go break a window, which means you either need to do glass breaks or interior motions in case that happens. The outside siren will alert your neighbors, but more importantly, it will draw attention to them and their vehicle and they will probably not be willing to stick around long enough to grab anything.

Another thing, what would have happened if they took your computers? Would you be screwed? Do you have backups offsite or locked in a safe that's bolted to the floor? If the loss of your computers and data would be a serious problem, you need to come up with a reliable, automatic, and secure backup solution. I'm shoving my more important data to an encrypted volume on a server that I have in a colocation facility. But there are services out there like Mozy that you can upload to, or you could even put a drive on a wireless network at your neighbor's house and back up to that (just make sure everything is encrypted).

Welcome to the club. Sorry for your troubles. It's cold comfort but the theft and damage could've been far worse. Most important of all, no one was injured.

FWIW, as per my post, I replaced the doors and installed the door-edge reinforcement gadgets from Safe Door Systems and they give me peace of mind. Quite shocking to learn how little effort is needed to kick in a "steel door". The old adage about the 'weakest link' certainly applies to modern doors. If the jamb doesn't fail then the door-edge bursts and the fancy deadbolt simply falls out.

Also, did you turn it in to insurance? They'll pay out a hefty amount for the door damage and labor to fix, and it sounds like you can fix it yourself. That may actually cover your deductible, which would make it worth it to turn it in to get your stolen items replaced.

One other thing I just noticed. If you are going with cameras and recording them somehow, consider uploading the images to an FTP server/offsite host since they seemed to take 'electronic type' items.

Welcome to the club. Sorry for your troubles. It's cold comfort but the theft and damage could've been far worse. Most important of all, no one was injured.

FWIW, as per my post, I replaced the doors and installed the door-edge reinforcement gadgets from Safe Door Systems and they give me peace of mind. Quite shocking to learn how little effort is needed to kick in a "steel door". The old adage about the 'weakest link' certainly applies to modern doors. If the jamb doesn't fail then the door-edge bursts and the fancy deadbolt simply falls out.

If you're ever replacing a door and frame for some reason, try to kick it in. It will scare you how easy it is. My mom, who is in her 60's, and only about 5'2" kicked in a steel garage service door when she lost the key. And she's not exactly SWAT team material.

BSR,
Do you have a link to those Moose piezos? Searching for "ELK Moose piezo" doesn't give me the results I want ...

Phase 1 - Don't go *too* overboard with this. If they want to get in, they will get in. I look at this as something that will slow them down, which gives me time to react when I'm home, or a little less time to grab stuff before the cops arrive. Hidden service doors on the back of the garage should definitely be a point of concern. Most burglaries happen through these. I'm in the process of putting one in because my garage doesn't have one at all, and it's one of those commercial steel frame doors, and it will be anchored into the 6" thick poured concrete wall. Luckily, other than the purchase of the insane steel door, it was already set up for me to go *overboard* with since I have to cut through 6" of concrete. Another thing to consider for a garage service door is to get one that opens outwards so it cannot be kicked in. I switched the one at my rental property out after it was kicked in several times, and now, it just has lots of footprints and pry marks on it. People give up if it's too difficult. It's just a standard flat steel service door with a wood frame. $80 at Menards. And I put a Schlage keypad deadbolt in it.

I am getting these: www.djarmor.com for all the exterior doors, and I've seen a film that goes over the windows that prevents (or postpones) them breaking a window.

How long have you had the ELK? I would make that a priority to install after you fix the door(s). You're lucky they didn't steal it. :hesaid: Here's the thing, if they left stuff behind, they are probably going to come back for it. And, if they got good stuff, they will wait for you or insurance to replace it, and then come back for it. My sister-in-law has been robbed *THREE* times this year. Most likely the same people all three times because they kicked in the same door, at the same time of day, and stole the same stuff every time. She won't listen to me and turn on her security system (yes, she has one, but it's powered off, long story). Neighbor on the street behind me, robbed 4 times in the last year. Same things stolen every time, house broken into the same way.

I probably had the elk for a year or more. I figure phase 1 will ensure they are detected and photographed/videoed.

Another thing, what would have happened if they took your computers? Would you be screwed?

I would be screwed. I do backups to another disk in the same machine. All your points are valid. I'm very good at planning in great detail for something, but then it takes me a lonng time to implement.

Matt

Also, did you turn it in to insurance? They'll pay out a hefty amount for the door damage and labor to fix, and it sounds like you can fix it yourself. That may actually cover your deductible, which would make it worth it to turn it in to get your stolen items replaced.

No, I probably won't turn it in. I have a thousand dollar deductible, ant it cost me about 2500 to replace everything, so I figure after my rates go up I'll end up paying more tham if I skip my flooring and replace my stuff.

Matt

Thanks!

Silly me ... 'Moose screamers' ... I thought it was a product from ELK. :hesaid:

Sorry to hear about this experience. Just a caution.

I had a buddy broken into a couple of years ago. (He lived out in the boonies).

He had everything taken replaced ( 2 big screen tv's and a PC) by insurance.

Three weeks later to the day they did again and got the brand new stuff as well.

Based on his experience I would put in some heavy duty noise makers right away and look into the computer software that reports to the police when re-activated after a theft.

Three weeks later to the day they did again and got the brand new stuff as well.

I have heard that this is a common occurrence. Need to install something quick that at least makes noise if they come back even you don't have full security systems up yet. Make them THINK you have it running now.

Sorry to hear about your robbery.

Years ago (20) while we were building a home and installing appliances a panel truck pulled up while the contractor was there and the delivery guys said that one of the kitchen items that they delivered had been mistakenly delivered and they were there to bring it back. We were at work and the contractor assumed no problems and let them in the house. They took a brand new refrigerator. These guys were even dressed up like delivery folks.

Back