RP2 connection via M1XEP not working

JST829

I have had my Elk M1G system up and running without issue for about 8 years.  Recently, I decided to reorganize my wiring closet which involved pulling everything out and rewiring most things.  When I hooked the Elk back up, I was having all kinds of issues with keypads showing Lost Comm, not able to enroll thermostat controller, etc.  I decided to do a factory reset by creating a new account in Elk RP2 and sending it to the system.     After doing that, I disconnected in RP2.  I powered down the Elk and powered it back up.  When I tried to connect via R2 again, i was unable.  I then powered down the Elk, disconnected everything but the keypad that has address 1, powered the Elk back up and did a factory reset by going to Globals 45, number 99.  That seemed to work.  I then powered down again, connected the XEP via the serial cable and powered back up.  I enrolled devices using the keypad... not sure if the XEP was successfully enrolled or not since it is not supposed to be listed in enrolled devices.     Back in RP2, I created yet another account to start from scratch.  I went into M1XEP setup and clicked Find.  It found the XEP immediately (I am also able to ping it), so I hit Use Selected.  Now when I try to connect, it says "Verifying System Identity", then gives me a message saying "System did not respond.  Connection may have been terminated."   When I say cancel, it gives me a message saying "System returned invalid information." Can anyone help me?  I've put hours into this and I'm getting so frustrated.  I've searched for a solution multiple times but nothing I've found seems to be what I'm looking for.   Thanks!!

Sorry, I probably should have mentioned that I'm using a Windows 7 machine as I knew 10 was an issue.

JST829 said:
Sorry, I probably should have mentioned that I'm using a Windows 7 machine as I knew 10 was an issue.
Windows 7 can also have problems connecting to the M1XEP.  The old firmware uses SSL protocol, which is obsolete, having been replaced by TLS protocol.  Windows 7 dropped support for SSL with one of the later updates from microsoft..

When was the last time you were successfully able to connect to the M1 with RP2?

RAL said:
Windows 7 can also have problems connecting to the M1XEP.  The old firmware uses SSL protocol, which is obsolete, having been replaced by TLS protocol.  Windows 7 dropped support for SSL with one of the later updates from microsoft..

When was the last time you were successfully able to connect to the M1 with RP2?

Like 3 days ago?  It almost seems like its not enrolling.  Ever since I tried to factory reset the Elk M1 it doesn't seem like i can get anything to enroll (aside from Keypad 01).

I'm going to try updating the firmware and see if that does anything.  

Thanks for the help on this.  I updated the firmware on the XEP and was still getting the same result.  I took a WIndows 10 machine and put RP2 on that and it connected immediately... no idea what was going on, but I'm good now so thanks!

JST829 said:
Thanks for the help on this.  I updated the firmware on the XEP and was still getting the same result.  I took a WIndows 10 machine and put RP2 on that and it connected immediately... no idea what was going on, but I'm good now so thanks!
Good to hear you fixed it. One reason for your troubles could have been that you have a newer version of RP software. I have ElkRP and ElkRP2, the older would connect to the older version of the firmware, but not the newer one and vice versa.

Back