RS-232 wireless repeaters

edmidor

I'm looking for a way to expand my primarily z-wave based HA system with some not supported sensors. The only problem is that most of devices I need are RS-232 controlled, and I need a way to hook them up, wireless, into my base controller.

Are there any affordable wireless RS-232 repeaters (WiFi or not) so I could "distribute" serial ports over the house?

Hi edmidor, welcome to CT!

Wireless serial repeaters/bridges exist, but they are usually very expensive. What kind of serial devices are we talking about?

Hi edmidor, welcome to CT!

Wireless serial repeaters/bridges exist, but they are usually very expensive. What kind of serial devices are we talking about?

Thanks!

I'm thinking about RFID readers, IO relay boards, even ultrasonic sensor - all with RS-232 output

would it be any cheaper to go from serial to ethernet, then use a wireless gaming bridge?

Sure, but how to go from serial to Ethernet?

I was just searching out the same thing this morning, so I have a couple of bluetooth options:

Bluetooth Single
Bluetooth Pair

Both sites sell a Bluetooth V2.0 usb dongle that can communicate with one of the devices, but the first link has it for $15 instead of $20 on the second. If you use the dongle, then you only need one BT - RS232 converter for each device. But that's still a $70 investment per point.

I am also looking for a good Serial to 802.11 b/g/n adaptor, but all I can find is 802.11b, which is limited to WEP. Since I'd rather have the semblance of wifi security I'd rather not go that route. The first link (USConverters.com) will have a lot of conversion options that you can consider. Take a look at the RS232 to Ethernet converters. From there you can connect to a wireless gaming bridge as mentioned above.

Thanks.
BT isn't good for me because I want to put things in larger area

On usconverters I see a couple of serial2ethernet for $70-$75...
Need to find out how to say my OpenWRT based HA server to communicate with RS232 over wifi... some kind of virtual port... not sure if it's even possible.

Maybe in the future you could use the new wireless USB standard and a USB->Serial adapter? If you do find a good solution, please let us know, many of us would be interested.

how about using an hp t5700 thin client with an edgeport usb-serial adapter. you can communicate between openwrt & devices on the edgeport using xPL or xAP. you may have to write your own code on both ends though.

If you don't mind a wiring your own you could use two XBee modules. You can use the serial interface out of the box with little configuration and few IC's/resistors. They are fairly cheap (~$25 per node) and are very easy to use.

How ironic would it be to connect to your Z-Wave Controller over Zigbee.

Back