SA UPB US1-40 or 11-40?

rmcneil

What is the difference between a US11-40 and a US1-40?

Maybe this seems like a stupid question, but given the confusion surrounding what is and isn't Gen II, which switches have configurable response times, etc, it would be nice to sort this out.

I have 2 switches I received from AO last week. The stickers on the back of the switches say US1-40. The boxes they came in say US1-40. The instructions that came with them say US11-40. UPStart recognizes them as US1-40's. UPStart does not have a US11-40 option available.

Why does it matter? UPStart does not allow me to configure the response time on these (or the US2-40 I also received last week). If US11-40 and US1-40 are different, then what is the difference? Is the US1-40T/US11-40T the only way to get a configurable response time?

FWIW, if I received the newer faster switches, I can't imagine how unbearably slow they must have been in the past. These things make my X-10's look practically instantaneous.

Anybody want to share which models and firmware versions they have?

Thanks,
RM

Is your version of UPStart 4.7 build 21? I had an older version and it did not have the delay and timer stuff in it. Downloaded 4.7.21 this Saturday.

I know that the new stuff defaults to 750msec delay (slowest) and a slow ramp.

When I get a chance I'll pull the swich and look at versions. It is actually a point in the jbox because the wires are crammed such that it took longer to screw the switch back in than it did to do the rest of the job...

RMAC:

Here is the response from SA:

The difference between a US1(30 or 40) and US11 30 or 40)
Is the faceplate. The US11 has a single rocker faceplate included.

The difference between the US11-30 and US11-40:
1. Red/green LED(30) vs. Blue/green LED(40)
2. US11-30 would accept a dual tall and a single rocker faceplate.
US11-40
accepts the single rocker faceplate only.
3. Beefed up power supply in the US11-40.
4. Added thermal shutdown & recovery to the US11-40
5. Changed housing on the US11-40 to the lower profile used on the
US2-40.
***** The US1-30 has been replaced by the US1-40***********

The US1-40 vs US1-40T

The US1-40T was an interim product that was designated with a "T" to
keep
products segregated while we transitioned our entire inventory.

At this time there are no more products in our factory or in our main
distribution inventory that carry the "T" on the model number.

All US1-40 and US11-40, products currently shipping, have the timer
function
included. The latest revision of software is 2.18.

I hope this helps,​

All US1-40 and US11-40, products currently shipping, have the timer
function
included. The latest revision of software is 2.18.

I hope this helps,[/indent][/indent][/b]

Yes indeed that helps. I intended to send SA an email earlier and got sidetracked by another project. My 11-40's are version 2.14, so I need to figure out how to get the 2.18's.

That explanation probably explains the 22-40T listed in UPStart as well. Any chance you have the firmware info for the 2-40 as well; when did response time become configurable? I'll send an email to SA.

Thanks,
RM

My 11-40's are version 2.14, so I need to figure out how to get the 2.18's.
I'm not sure there is a UPB switch made that is firmware upgradeable. I think it's what you see is what you're stuck with.

I doubt the firmware can be upgraded. I was thinking more along the lines of an exchange. I'm going to give Martin and AO the benefit of the doubt and assume they will make this right since 1) they knew I was concerned about the reported slow response times of UPB, 2) I was told that SA switches were now faster and user configurable, and 3) I just bought these last week. Since they know my intent was to test these in contemplation of future purchases and conversion, I'm sure they will agree that it would be better for me to be trying out the newer, faster switches.

FWIW, since the starter kits are intended to give people an intro to the product, this should put SA and AO on notice that they should be sending out the newest switches available with these kits, even if it means going trough inventory and repackaging stuff. Since the actual upgrade took place, how many people have tried these and not been convinced because they received old stock in these kits? This would also be a good time for all those people out there who claim they don't mind the slow switches to make a deal with AO for the old switches for a good price. This would put more UPB in service, help clear out all of the old stock and make sure newbies get the faster stuff from here on.

RM

All of those who don't care about the slow UPB switches, PM I'll have a bunch in the next few weeks.... not expecting much response on this as I've been seeing alot of SA stuff on ebay lately. A week or so ago someone sold about 40 or so 2-40's. I'm pretty sure they were upgrading to the newer models...

Back