Satellite

DTV is the only real choice if automation is important. Their boxes are serially controllable, and the new ones are much more so and have a consistent interface unlike their older generations (which were made by various companies.) Their new ones deal with the MPEG4 format for better quality HD, though I've not gone that way yet. I've not watched any TV for probably a year at this point.

Dean Roddey said:
Their boxes are serially controllable, and the new ones are much more so and have a consistent interface unlike their older generations (which were made by various companies.) Their new ones deal with the MPEG4 format for better quality HD
Do you have a recommendation for a new RS232 receiver? My D* STB died 3 days ago, and I need to replace it. Was about to go to CC tomorrow to get the $50 one until I noticed this.

I don't have enough experience with the new boxes to offer any opinions really. Any of them, from a control protocol standpoint, are fine I think. They have a common protocol that is far better defined than the old ones.

Back