Self-install Elk & Security, or get a pro?

I have a major vent, directed completely at myself. I'll put it in this thread as it's closely related to my original question of my capabilities to do this solo.

5 months after contemplating self-installing an Elk, 3 months after getting the elk, i'm finding that I'm able to mentally grasp the concepts. I'm probably about average - picking it up slower than some folks, faster than other folks. But at least I'm stubborn enough to keep plugging away at things until I learn it, even if I have to create too many posts w/questions along the way.

The thing that is shockingly difficult to me, and is my vent, is the problem i'm having physically working with wire at the sensor end, when in tight spots. I'm not used to fine-motor skills work like this, it's a lot harder than I thought.

I want to mount 4 of my motion sensors in the top corner of a room. I need to stand up on a chair and raise my hands to get to it. I spent 2 hours yesterday trying to get 18/4 into my motion detector, then mount it. Every time I did this, I accidentally pushed one of the wires out. I"ll try again tonight, but out of 4 locations that i've top-corner-mounted a motion, i've only gotten one working correctly within 5 minutes. All others have taken me forever, and as of right now, none of them work. I can either get the Zone wires correct, or the power wires correct, but I can't seem to get both connected at the same time.

FWIW, I had a much easier time with the 22/4 as it was easier to move around, but I ran out of 22/4 and decided to do the whole house with 18/4 so I only needed the one type of wire.

My wiring issues aren't limited to sensors, i've also found that i have a hard time creating CAT5 cables, so I suppose it's wiring in general that I'm still struggling to learn.

Ok, vent over, thanks for listening.

FWIW: I ended up using lots of wireless sensors due to old construction and not wanting to deal with drilling and fishing wires. Went straight for the 48zone wireless receiver..

I decided the higher sensor cost was offset by the shorter install time, less frustration, etc.

As long as the supervisory mode works as it is supposed to and lets me know the batteries need changing, I'll be OK.

IVB said:
FWIW, I had a much easier time with the 22/4 as it was easier to move around, but I ran out of 22/4 and decided to do the whole house with 18/4 so I only needed the one type of wire.

My wiring issues aren't limited to sensors, i've also found that i have a hard time creating CAT5 cables, so I suppose it's wiring in general that I'm still struggling to learn.
Sometimes wiring can be a pain, even for a pro. You certainly didn't make your life any easier with 18ga wire. IMHO that wire is just too big to work nicely with small sensors, etc. Then when you add stranded into the mix its even tougher. Like in your Bosche Bluelines, there is not alot of room up there and bending an 18ga to fit I'm sure is not easy.

I also learned that tools make a huge difference. The investment in good tools like strippers, crimpers, etc is well worth it. For cat5, the EZ45 is a good investment. Also, the proper/dedicated outer sheath strippers (for cat5 and coax) and good individual wire strippers. Cheap or wrong tools will only add to the frustration.

That's why I try to stress (I remember doing this a few times in your posts actually) 22/4 for motions, glass breaks, keypads, and 22/2 for magnetic contact sensors. Yes, I know there are cases where you need to use alternate wiring (for example cat5e and 18gauge (touch pad locations, expansion, fire code, etc...)

You saw the large quantity of wire I had to deal with, but none of it was difficult and it was actually very easy to terminate everything in that box once I got the components mounted (that's another story).

I also try to suggest stranded vs. solid as it is more flexible.

I also very much appreciated the Elk having removable terminal strips as that made the job a LOT easier!

As far as the stripping, placing in terminals, soldering (in some cases), etc... it is tricky if you are not use to it.

For instance I don't use any strippers at all! My main tool is one of those folding knife like razor blade holders. I can "feel" the exact depth I need to cut the outer jacket without knicking any of the internal wiring. I also use this to accurately strip the insulation from the wire. It is a lot of feel and motor skills like you said.

There are cases where you need quality tools as Steve suggested such as solder irons, crimpers, heat guns, etc... Plus actually knowing how to do this helps. Maybe people should try soldering wires together, using a heat gun with shrink tubing, crimping wiring if using the gel contacts, bundling wires together and have them fit inside a socket on a terminal strip, etc... before venturing out on a job like this.

This is a big job, especially if you have a timeline to get it done! I spent most of the last three days (Fri, Sat, Sun) doing nothing but wiring and terminating, and I'm still not done so I can appreciate how much you have to do!

Hang in there and take it one step at a time. If you are getting frustrated, let us know as there may be alternatives.

For instance, I don't see anything wrong with placing a 22/4 g short jumper wire on the motion sensor, then splice that onto the 18g (solder/shrink tube or quality crimper) if it means getting that motion sensor terminated/working properly and so you can actually mount it in your tight location.

Good luck and let us know how we can help!

BSR

That's why I try to stress (I remember doing this a few times in your posts actually) ....
Trust me, i'm realizing how many bits of wisdom you were saying in some of those posts. In retrospect, having any form of timeline for something as new as this to me was generally a bad move, as I only picked up on 10% of what anybody was trying to tell me. The main reason I started keeping a blog was to show others what this was like, so no one else came into this thing as I did, thinking "gee, so I run some wires and mount some stuff. How hard could that be?"

in this case, i actually tried splicing some 22/4 into the sensor last night. I had bought a soldering gun, but RadioShack forgot to put the solder into the bag and the store was closed so I had to use electric tape. When I pushed it back into place, I must have jiggered something cuz there's a short. [but, i know that cuz i've finally listened to you and started measuring voltage as my first step post-connection :D ].

Thanks to all for the support and words of encouragement. Now off to try again. Perhaps a nice glass of Cote du Rhone would help keep the hands steady...

Finally, something that's easy. Both kids decided they wanted to go with Mom to pick up dinner, I went downstairs to see how easy it would be to access the front doors [outer & inner] via the crawlspace. Well, one thing led to another, inside of 90 minutes I had the floor and both doors drilled (water not an issue for this location, I pounded them flat with a hammer so there's no tripping issues), magnets mounted, wires run, mounted to the expander, and confirmed proper operation via ElkRP!

Good thing the wife/kids decided to eat at the restaurant. Wife drove back up to see me with the outer door on the stoop, drill in hand. Thank god it only took me 15 minutes from then to completion, or else there'd been issues.

I just got the 2 doors working with CQC. I tried putting it on the current motion screen, didn't really work cuz you couldn't tell the difference between the green indicating no motion and the green indicating door is closed.

Here's a new screen dedicated to doors/windows. Not sure this is where i'll end up, it's just one of those things that needs to sit with me for a bit.

VladStudio_Doors_Windows.jpg

IVB, Just keep punching out the items on the list...

I received my elk last weekend... and mine is a "new install" so it took me 2 hours to get the wire from the keypad to the control. for some reason my fish tape kept getting caught in the wall and I was only snaking about 5 feet or so!! And I am not new to running wire..... but after that the rest went easy so far!

October 25th, 9 full months after beginning to contemplate self-installing a security system, although admittedly only probably 10-15 mandays of actual dedicated attention to this, I've terminated ADT effective immediately. I just disconnected the keypad, and will slowly be dismantling the system. At this point, my Elk coverage far surpasses any ADT system I've personally seen, and I'm taking the next few days off to add more of the parts that are sitting in the boxes. [CO, heat, sound interface, etc].

Thanks again to all of you who have helped me in the past and who i'm sure will continue to help me in the future.

IVB is a model "Cocooner" (once I got him to start posting only 800 pixel wide attachments :) ). He required a lot of input and guidance at first to get his system going, but he has contributed back to the forums at least ten fold helping other members with his knowledge! Thanks for your past and continued contributions to the forum! :D

:rolleyes: Dont feel bad im brand new to HA. Looking very forward to starting Feb 1. Not only with the Automation but will also be building the house myself WOOT! Hope all goes well as this will be a full time job for me over the next year 08'. ELKM1G in hand and tested already, UPB for lights. Keith

Welcome to Cocoontech Keith. I hope you have a large bank account because if you will be working on your system full time for a year you will need it!

IVB said:
October 25th, 9 full months after beginning to contemplate self-installing a security system...
Just think: you could have had a baby from start to finish in the same time! :rolleyes:

Joking aside, that's great. Nothing like bringing a large project to completion.

Guy Lavoie said:
IVB said:
October 25th, 9 full months after beginning to contemplate self-installing a security system...
Just think: you could have had a baby from start to finish in the same time! :rolleyes:

Joking aside, that's great. Nothing like bringing a large project to completion.
I just spent all weekend adding more sensors to the Elk.

I won't hit "completion" for months. The way I positioned it to my wife, I told her that we had simply "transitioned to the next stage".

Although now that I think of it, she did come back from shopping today with a full set of bags. I wonder if there's a correlation.

Back