Serial Expanders...

noshali

So have Elk working (connected my thermostat) and my wife and my visiting parents are very impressed with the 2 rules I have.

The next thing I want to do is connect my WGL 800 and maybe insteon. I am controlling the light using PSC05.

Now the questions are:
I would need another 2 serial port expanders to do the above. Correct?
Has anyone used insteon to work as I have read varying ideas?

Is there a manual or repository of rules that people are using as I tend to get lost.

regards,

Yes, the w800 and the Insteon interface would each require an XSP, so you would need 2 serial expanders to support both. I have not hooked my W800 to the Elk yet. I have hooked up the 2414S Insteon interface and tested it, but the linking was a pain, so I was playing it safe until the firmware stabilizes and maybe some linking software is available.

WayneW said:
Yes, the w800 and the Insteon interface would each require an XSP, so you would need 2 serial expanders to support both. I have not hooked my W800 to the Elk yet. I have hooked up the 2414S Insteon interface and tested it, but the linking was a pain, so I was playing it safe until the firmware stabilizes and maybe some linking software is available.
I have the W800 working well with my Elk. I have also talked with Elk regarding the INSTEON ability and proposed some ideas about using ElkRP for easier setup and linking. I gues we will only see where that ends.

Toymaster,

I know that you use the CQC....I have a lot of stuff setup in HS with my DS10 and MS10...
I would hate to waste the money I have spent but was wondering if you can uses logic rules etc in CQC like in HS and how easy are these to setup.

Regards,

If anyone has any really nice, graphical, user setup software for Insteon we would like to interface to it.

Dave @ PowerHome has the most powerful Insteon linking software I have seen/used. If Elk could work with him to add linking into the Elk XSP & 2414S & RP, that would be a big help. I think his stuff now would do all the linking to the Elk's 2414S (but not into the XSP). If ElkRP could somehow read that in from the 2414S and use it, it would be a great start.

Spanky said:
If anyone has any really nice, graphical, user setup software for Insteon we would like to interface to it.
You know Dave, This sounds like the conversation I had with Don.

WayneW said:
Dave @ PowerHome has the most powerful Insteon linking software I have seen/used. If Elk could work with him to add linking into the Elk XSP & 2414S & RP, that would be a big help. I think his stuff now would do all the linking to the Elk's 2414S (but not into the XSP). If ElkRP could somehow read that in from the 2414S and use it, it would be a great start.
This also sounds like a conversation I had with Don.

I think I must be dreaming. :D

noshali said:
Toymaster,

I know that you use the CQC....I have a lot of stuff setup in HS with my DS10 and MS10...
I would hate to waste the money I have spent but was wondering if you can uses logic rules etc in CQC like in HS and how easy are these to setup.

Regards,
Yes you can. It might be harder to do then it is in Homeseer but in my opinion CQC is more reliable and stable.

After talking with Don, ELK would like to see a graphical user interface to put the Insteon lighting system together, then transfer the data to the M1XSP via the M1 using serial or Ethernet. This is not a trivial task and will take some work.

If I knew talking with Don would do this much good I would have done it on Moday instead of Wensday to get the moving a little fastier. Thank you Dave for putting me in contact with him.

Back