Setting up POE Cisco 3750 for camera network

Yeah here flipping the image of my garage cam today.

Modem is an Arris TM822G

Here do not have VOIP dependencies on my ISP such that I do my own VOIP thing.  You can do that too. 

You can though purchase an Arris TM822G for less than $50 on Ebay.  Here I have always purchased my modems for my CC connection and they are all Motorola (before Arris) with current modem being a Motorola SB 6141.  It didn't work when I first installed it because CC wanted me to lease a modem from them and I wouldn't.  Rather here escalated and got very loud non stop with CC until it was enabled.

The replacement OS for the Linksys WRT-54GS is levels above the Linksys OS garbage that is on there today.

I understand you do not want to play with it.  That said a good step toward an autonomous AP would be first to update the OS on what you have.  Once tuned to your network it'll be much more stable than the Linksys OS garbage on there.  Next steps would be a POE powered single purpose AP like the Ubiquiti mentioned.

With am upgraded replacement OS you can do much more with the network and radio inside of the box. 

George M said:
Interested in this as right now am having horrendous problems with internet speed and trying to bore down into the causes. Am currently using a Netgear D6200 modem/router (on dsl). In your setup using the EdgeRouter are you using the modem for wireless?

I know your question was directed at Jon but I'll share my setup, Cable Modem <-> EdgeRouter, AC Pro AP (wireless) <-> EdgeRouter.  I've never used ISP supplied WiFi or router capability, always have fed into my own equipment so I had full control.

George M said:
Interested in this as right now am having horrendous problems with internet speed and trying to bore down into the causes. Am currently using a Netgear D6200 modem/router (on dsl). In your setup using the EdgeRouter are you using the modem for wireless?

My work setup is ATT DSL and I turn off wireless on their unit.  I use the Ubiquiti Edgerouter for all firewall/routing and separate Ubiquiti AP Pro access points for wireless.   My home setup is the same except that I have FIOS there with a direct ethernet hookup instead of needing to use any telco provided equipment.

Doing same here with two ISP connections.

cable modem / failover ISP ==> PFSense (multiple interfaces) ==> managed switches / main AP (and test ones) / VOIP
FIOS modem ==> STB's directly connected and internet via my firewall. 

Back