Setting up POE Cisco 3750 for camera network

OK for DHCP we can do 25.  Use the low end addressing for DHCP assigned via MAC for the TVs and DVD and high end for rest.

You will have to change the static IP address on the ELK panel.

If the subnet for the security camera system is 255.255.255.90, can i access it (and elk if on different subnet) through the 255.255.255.200 network?

For the time bean we will first create one flat network.   Baby steps first.

Lets start with 255.255.255.192  /26 for 62 devices.  DHCP scope at top end with 25 devices and statically assign your TVs and DVD to the top end.

What is the mfg and model number of your combo router/switch/firewall?

Do you have a cable internet connection?  Do you have a cable modem and firewall or just an ISP combo with VOIP?

Does it have  wireless?  Your wireless footprint depends on where the AP is located.  Personally here have a separate AP(s) - Ubiquiti.

Ideally you want to have one wireless AP located centrally where you can get to it from any part of the house with tablets, phones, laptops et al.

So, I am up and running. I made no changes to subnet yet. I just had dinner (helps) then tested all my wiring from closet to each camera. All are good. Then plugged three cameras into switch (2 directly in and one from front porch installed). They all came up.

I wired connected 3750 to trendnet switch. Am connecting to network through wifi on pc.

I changed a few of the camera IPs so it would make more sense. Now I can't seem to get cameras back up. Got a message "network abnormal".

Now they are all back up. All seems normal.

So I just installed the two I was bench testing. waiting for them to come back up.

router is a Linksys WRT45GS.

Thank you.  I am not familiar with a Linksys WRT45GS.  I am familiar with the Linksys WRT54G anything router.

Is it a Linksys WRT54GS?

This router is from around 2008.  Have you flashed it with DD-WRT or any other OS other than stock?

Are you just using the Linksys for wireless?  You can crank it a bit if you are running an updated OS like DD-WRT or OpenWRT.  The WRT in the two names means that they started doing this with the Linksys WRT54GL routers.

Specifically it is models Linksys WRT54GL V1-V6.

TEG-s24Dg Trendnet gigabit switch

Do you have a Motorola/Arris modem plugged in to the Linksys router?  What model is it? 

So, I am up and running. I made no changes to subnet yet.

Baby steps now...and no changes yet.

We will be re configuring your network (IP subnet, mask, DNS, Gateway address, DHCP configuration and firewall stuff).

I changed a few of the camera IPs so it would make more sense. Now I can't seem to get cameras back up. Got a message "network abnormal".

You can configure the camera IPs with DHCP then later we will change the IPs.  Give them a name that makes sense to you...

PCIPCAM-1,PCIPCAM-1, et al...

Yeah, it is old. Got it free. Been meaning to pick up new one, but they are pricey and there are so many options...

BTW, I do not do gaming. We mostly do netflix, (maybe two streams at same time), and basic internet use. Then there is the 3750 connected to gigabit switch...

Take a look at Ubiquiti Networks Edge Router Lite. I have an ER Pro (got it on amazon Woot deal).  Pretty sure IVB has an ER Lite.  I'm done with consumer routers, was tired of having to replace every 2 years or so.  Also added a Ubiquiti UniFi AC Pro AP (UAP-AC-PRO). 

All WiFi & router issues ceased!  Ubiquiti is one of the brands listed by CEPro that pro integrators tend to use when they install networks in homes for home automation and/or home theater.

Yes the above combo does cost a bit more but you are getting a business grade solution & the reliability that goes with it.

Agree with the above. I'm running a Cisco router and a Linksys AP for now. Will be looking to replace the AP with a Ubiquiti AC Pro after we move and get set back up.

So here we are at a discovery of what are the pieces of your current network and what you are looking to do.

There is interplay between every piece of hardware. 

Let's get back here to the basics and the supposition here is to make the new adds work with the existing hardware for the time bean.

1 - ISP connects to home via?  Cable?
2 - what of the MFG / model number of the modem?
3 - I am supposing that the combination Linksys WRT54GS is using an off the shelf operating system.
4 - It connects or has connected to your home networking stuff via wireless and one port(s) to the Trendnet gigabit switch TEG-s24Dg
5 - We are looking to shrink down the size of the network to make it more manageable.

Second pieces
1 - 3 POE cameras were purchased
2 - A Cisco 3750 POE switch was purchased for use with POE cameras
3 - numerous servers were purchased for use as a ZM NVR

I highly agree with the previous posts about the Ubiquiti gear.  I'm using EdgeRouter's for home and work and use the AC pro wireless AP's as well.  

I have a few other IT pro friends that have standardized on the Ubiquiti equipment as well.  We all agree that it's good solid stuff.

JonW said:
I highly agree with the previous posts about the Ubiquiti gear.  I'm using EdgeRouter's for home and work and use the AC pro wireless AP's as well.  

I have a few other IT pro friends that have standardized on the Ubiquiti equipment as well.  We all agree that it's good solid stuff.

Interested in this as right now am having horrendous problems with internet speed and trying to bore down into the causes. Am currently using a Netgear D6200 modem/router (on dsl). In your setup using the EdgeRouter are you using the modem for wireless?

Here utilize a PFSense customized job.

Two days ago I noticed a slow down googling.  That said checked my speeds using toast dot net, speedtest, et al.  The speeds were fine.  It was just google that was really slow.

My current Motorola modem (which is old today) does have a Gb connection to the firewall and is connecting to a Gb NIC. 

Basically it is all of the transport pieces than can cause bottlenecks...

IE:

ISP ==> edge modem (router) whatever that is ==> your router whatever that is ==> your network wired or wireless whatever that is.

You typical home modem is a router anyways.  

Note that the bandwidth on a wireless connection is shared while a wired Gb connection is still shared unless you directly connect that gb interface to the router. 

pete_c said:
So here we are at a discovery of what are the pieces of your current network and what you are looking to do.

There is interplay between every piece of hardware. 

Let's get back here to the basics and the supposition here is to make the new adds work with the existing hardware for the time bean.

1 - ISP connects to home via?  Cable?
2 - what of the MFG / model number of the modem?
3 - I am supposing that the combination Linksys WRT54GS is using an off the shelf operating system.
4 - It connects or has connected to your home networking stuff via wireless and one port(s) to the Trendnet gigabit switch TEG-s24Dg
5 - We are looking to shrink down the size of the network to make it more manageable.

Second pieces
1 - 3 POE cameras were purchased
2 - A Cisco 3750 POE switch was purchased for use with POE cameras
3 - numerous servers were purchased for use as a ZM NVR
Pete, to answer your questions:
1. ISP connects via cable coax.
2. Modem is an Arris TM822G, though I have been looking to buy one since i just found out that they charge me every months (bastards).
3. Yes, router uses the basic OS. Never even thought of changing it. Though I would be nervous to mess with this since all works ok with Elk.
4. Yes, router is connected to Trendnet gigabit switch TEG-s24Dg via copper. cat 5e or 6.
5. Ok...

Last night, pulled two new wires to garage, and installed the last camera. 4th camera is up and running. All are good. I adjusted all except front porch cam that is upside down :)

There should be options in your camera setup menus that should allow you to flip the image both horizontally or vertically.

Back