Should I use Insteon?

Jay M

I have been using X-10 for about 10 years now and my needs are pretty simple. But X-10 doesn't work well in my house.

The biggest issue I am aware of with Insteon is build quality. I have had 5 Insteon dimmers and 1 Powerlinc controller (the thing that stores timers for X-10) for over two years, and the only thing that has failed was the Powerlinc controller, and it has failed twice!
I also have about 10 Smarthome X-10 dimers. I have had them installed for about 3 years and one of them isn't working well.
If you include the two failed Powerlinc controllers I guess you can call that a 20% failure rate. Three out of about 16 devices are not working properly. That is statistically a horrible number! Funny thing is that the guy at Smart home told me over the phone that the Powerlic controllers only last about a year, so it would be wise to buy the extended warranty.

But if I were to take the Powerlic Controller out of the equation then that leaves one Switchlinc that still works, but not well, so the failure rate would be 7%. That would mean I would need to replace one per two years if I have 20. A bit of a PITA, but you get what you pay for.

My current needs are:
1. Reliable communication throughout the house.
2. Product build quality
3. I need my learning IR remote to be able to trigger scenes in lighting.
4. I need a timer to run scenes
5. I need relays for florescent lights, low voltage landscaping, and fountain a pump.
6. I need a quality dimmer that doesn't make the bulbs ring.
7. one or two keypads to run a few common scenes (maybe one in the foyer, and one at the back door.)

Insteon is appealing for a few reasons:
1. I already own several dimmers (I'm using them as X-10)
2. The price is low, especially since I already own a few
3. The product line meets my needs for timers IR, and relays.
4. custom etched face plates look really high-end.

Possible future needs:
1. motion sensors
2. secuity
3. Advanced conditional programming.

Total cost to do most of what I want on Insteon is about $1000 including the ISY-99ir pro.

UPB is not out of the question, but there are a few things that concern me.
1. The delay before a light turns on after you push the button
2. The IR kit looks home made... does it work well?
3. Interference on the line can block local access! Major design flaw, even if that is a rare occasion.

UPB would only be a few hundred dollars more so price is no big deal.

There are also a few other DIY technologies: Z-Wave, Zigbee, Radio RA.. and more that I can't think of now.

My system will have about 20 dimmers and relays, one ir input, one system controller, and a few keypads to run scenes.

What are your thoughts? Am I on track with my evaluation of my situation?

thanks,
~Jay

I am trying to think of how to wire the back yard stuff, here's my thought:

-In line relay for the low voltage to switch the outdoor outlet on and off. I'll just not use the timer built into the transformer.

-In line relay for the outlet the the fountain is plugged into.

My thinking is that they can be in a big outdoor gang box with the outlets. One relay to the top outlet, and the other relay to the bottom outlet. a 4 outlet box would give me two Insteon, X10, UPB, relayed outlets and one more always on outlet.

~Jay

At the end of the day it comes down to a personal preference. I just wanted to address your UPB concerns:

1. Delay is simply not an issue any more. It never was for me and many others, but for those more sensitive to it, it is reduced in the newer switches. The delay is no longer than Insteon now.
2. Dunno, don't use IR via UPB.
3. I have never seen this issue, not saying it can't happen, I just never read about it or experienced it. I have a huge noise generator that can really impact communication (like 25 on the noise scale) and even if communication are impacted I've never seen it impact local control.

Your plans for the backyard are sound, that's pretty much how I do mine.

As for security, you might want to go with Elk M1 Gold. You can add motion detectors to any of 16 input zones (more zones if you add more expander zones). Once you have motion detectors in your house, you can then program the rules so that if motion detector zone becames "unsecure," you can just have M1XSP Serial Expander (through Elk M1 Gold) tell the PowerLinc Controller (2414S) to turn on the light.

anything but insteon

but if you do, when you get several insteon devices, you will lose the ability to propagate an x10 signal reliably - from my experience, anyway

i'm in for about 65 or so craplincs - something like 21-25 are keypads - the fewer keypads you buy, the better your experience will probably be

I don't have any experience with the ISY products but I understand it makes Insteon configurations easier.

However easier it may be I have lost faith in the quality of Smarthome Insteon products. Less expensive at first glance but after factoring in troubleshooting time you may think otherwise.

My vote is with Centralite Jetstream. Cost more, you bet but it's worth it. I just installed 30 switches in a home and guess what, no troubleshooting.

I have had insteon for a couple of years now and I am on the fence. My advice to you is to try out a couple of UPB, ZWAVE, JetStream, and/or Insteon and see which you prefer. It may be worth a couple hundred dollars to play before you throw thousands at one technology. They all have their positives and negatives. I do concur with a couple of the points above.

1.) There is no consideration of Insteon without the ISY, especially if you intend on having multiple controllers like an Elk and a PC, etc.

2.) We are going to start hearing a LOT more about Jetstream, it holds a lot of promise. The prices I have seen in the Worthington catalog put it somewhere between low end Zwave/Insteon and UPB.

3.) You don't hear much bitching about UPB. Where there are 3 or 4 forums dedicated to Insteon, and a couple for ZWave with people discussing/complaining, I haven't found one for UPB. When there was one, like on AccessHA, there was no traffic. You rarely see that many threads here either. I think that says something about the stability of UPB, and the level of satisfaction it's users have. Of course, it could be nobody is using it, but I don't think that is the case.

It is a tough call.

If you expect everything to be inexpensive and work perfectly, you will probably be unhappy with all of the manufacturers for one reason or another.

I was in the same boat you were in 2 years ago: a house full of X10 and a desire to improve things. Back then, Insteon was REALLY cheap ($20 for an Icon switch), so I filled my house up with them and a PLC. Insteon was a major improvement over X10 in looks and functionality. I had a number of switch failures over those 2 years; Smarthome tech support was very helpful each time I called in for a replacement (one batch of 4 switches, and a second batch of 6 about six months later. I have 65 switches in my house now). So far I haven't had any issues with the replacement switches.

But if I were in you shoes now, my answer would have to be "try very, very hard to make X10 work". Insteon is much more expensive now, but it still seems to be one of the cheapest options...

Chris

But if I were in you shoes now, my answer would have to be "try very, very hard to make X10 work". Insteon is much more expensive now, but it still seems to be one of the cheapest options...

Chris

well I have x10 in my house and was having issues.... and obtained the insteon plc free with my copy of homeseer... I also picked up 2 insteon togglelinc relays and 1 togglelinc switches..... I have yet to install them... I will and most likely run them in x10 mode...

however I too have been thinking of trying out the insteon part...

now on your.. try very hard to make x10 work..... it was easy to get working great in my house.....

1 I bought one of these...
http://cgi.ebay.com/X-10-PRO-Coupler-Repea...1QQcmdZViewItem

back in the day it was $150 from smarthome.... but I got it from ebay for $60 shipped.. now it is less than $20 shipped....!!!!!!

it made my x10 soooo much more reliable...

I also have the old style signalinc dryer unit... you know with the 6' cord and 240v plugs.... and dont know if that helped.. but it was in an auction I bought so I installed it....

also in trying.... if x10 is not that reliable... try unplugging everything from every room... use the mini controllers (plugs into outlet) to see if things work... if so then plug stuff back in slowly and see what was causing it..

example for me is my under basement steps light wouldnt program (23896w togglelinc) and it turned out to be a apc 1000 ups.... unplugged it and the light programmed... just shut the unit off and it didnt work.. had to unplug it..

also my boss is getting his x10 more reliable... he just installed 10 switchlinc switches ( I got from ebay ) and he said some wont program and a few did.... then the next day EVERYTHING was working.. so I asked him what changed.. he said his ceiling fan was off.....

he installed this hunter ceiling fan controller kit... so he took the fan down and removed the pieces he installed into it... now he is more reliable.. but going to buy what I linked here as I feel it is a MUST in ALL x10 installs!!!!!!

good luck man... I have a very reliable x10 setup and happy with it... even using the 1132u smarthome usb controller that everyone says die all the time.. been using it for a few years now and I got it used too!!!!!!!

Hey Jay -

Definitely consider buying a few of each device to test out for yourself. Only you can decide what will work best for you. Sell whatever you don't go with here or on eBay.

I'm a happy Insteon user in my home, but each technology has their own strengths and weaknesses. Insteon has definitely had reliability issues in the past, but current devices seem to be built better with updated tact switches, etc. Firmware seems good and stable with the currently released KeypadLincs. I've personally been running Insteon for a couple years, and have only had a handful of devices go bad (out of 70+). But, in my opinion a few devices is a few devices too many.

I have a couple of older UPB devices installed in my basement for testing, and can confirm that the delay is excessive (at least to me). Like Steve said, this is much improved with newer devices. I have a box of more recent UPB devices to test, but haven't yet gotten around to it. Once I get them installed I'll be curious to see how the speed is compared to Insteon - because Insteon is very quick, and that was a big selling point for me.

If you go Insteon, definitely consider an ISY for the back-end. I wrote a review of the ISY way back when that you can read here:
http://www.techav.com/udi/isy99i.htm

AccessHA also put up a real nice review here:
http://www.accessha.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1827

The company behind the ISY is a fantastic group of people. Great support, great service, and it's amazing how much functionality they've added to even the original ISY-26 since its released with simple firmware updates. It also integrates well with the Elk M1 security panel.

Also, word at EHX in Orlando a few months ago was that Insteon motions sensors were on the short-list of items we should be expecting from SmartHome.

Good luck!

Thanks Mike,

I decided to take the reliability risk and order Insteon. They have a 30 satisfaction guaranty, and for just a few $$ per device you get a 7 year warranty.

I hope to know in the first 30 days if there are nay communications problems, if there are I make send it all back.

The major selling points:
-The ISY-99i seems easy to use and has good reviews
-The ISY-99ir pro which I ordered, will take care of my IR needs. The best location for it happens to be in my entertainment center where I already have an ethernet switch.
-if I need IR elsewhere, I can add that for $99
-The Keypadlincs, do what I want. And with custom etching I think they can look outstanding.
-Because I already own a few Insteon devices the cost is quite low, especially with the discounts on starter kits.

I will have:
20 dimmers
2 keypads
2 inline relays for the fountain, and low voltage lights in the back yard
2 inline dimmers for the patio cover 120v lighting
1 plugin relay for the front yard low voltage
1 hand held remote, for use in the back yard - inside I will use the MX-500 universal remote
4 access points (from two kits). That should give me good coverage in a 1500 sq. ft. house
ISY99 IR Pro to set up and run everything.

I hope to have much of it up and running by the weekend. I'll post my results, and frustrations.

I'll really need some help programming!

thanks,
~Jay

-if I need IR elsewhere, I can add that for $99

Are you referring to adding an IRLinc?

True, but you can also go with any IR distribution system. I'm currently using a hardwired Niles IR distribution hub to bring IR from throughout my house to my ISY located in my basement, but you could also go with an RF (instead of hardwired) distribution system.

I'll really need some help programming!

There are many helpful people on the Universal Devices forum, so don't hesitate to post any questions there!

My current needs are:
1. Reliable communication throughout the house.
2. Product build quality
3. I need my learning IR remote to be able to trigger scenes in lighting.
4. I need a timer to run scenes
5. I need relays for florescent lights, low voltage landscaping, and fountain a pump.
6. I need a quality dimmer that doesn't make the bulbs ring.
7. one or two keypads to run a few common scenes (maybe one in the foyer, and one at the back door.)

Insteon is appealing for a few reasons:
1. I already own several dimmers (I'm using them as X-10)
2. The price is low, especially since I already own a few
3. The product line meets my needs for timers IR, and relays.
4. custom etched face plates look really high-end.

Possible future needs:
1. motion sensors
2. secuity
3. Advanced conditional programming.

Good luck with your set up.

Be aware that most all INSTEON devices act as powerline transmitters, thus tend to be X10 'signal suckers' by themselves.

Years ago I migrated from 'unreliable' X10 to 'reliable' INSTEON. While writing some control software I had a monitor program running and was getting >99.9% reliability (over a period of three months 24/7). After, I added a couple of under counter florescent lights in my kitchen things got a little worse. That is just something else to be aware of.

If you have a lot of scenes programmed into different switches and people hit two switches at about the same time, the results may be unreliable due to 'signal collisions'. I don't think signals actually collide, the switch firmware just does not have enough smarts to handle a lot of powerline traffic while it is trying to transmit (each switch also repeats all traffic). SH seems to be working the kinks out of that problem. Their past policy was that when a problem was fixed, it was called an 'upgrade' and required the purchase of new hardware. I am getting the impression that SH is not 'quite' as bad in that department now. Just something to keep your eyes open about.

Also SH is still selling devices that do not conform to their own published specifications (and no Mike, I am not going to beat that dead horse again). I am not necessarily down on SH, I just like for people to have all of the available facts before making a major investment.
As in, one of your future needs, 'security'. The devices that were sold with 'extended messaging' broken, will never be able to send encrypted message packets. SH (so far) will not own up to which devices have broken extended messaging.

I do wish you success, many people have good results with INSTEON.

:(

Ken

Back