Simple RFID App Help Needed

BraveSirRobbin

I know some of our members have RFID experience so I thought I would post for help with a very simple RFID application that I am in need of.

I have a controlled room where only ten people are allowed to occupy at one time. I have a simple process where ten badges are made (labeled one through ten) and a person would pick up a badge before entering the room and place it back on the stand after they leave. The problem we have is people forget to place it on the stand when they leave (which is amazing as they don't forget to pick one up before entering).

I just need a quick, dirty, simple way to have a buzzer and light activate if a badge 'walks' past a place in the hallway entrance to this room.

I was thinking about placing a passive RFID tag on the existing badges (or purchase new ones) and have a reader activate a contact closure during the presence of a badge. This would activate a light and buzzer and the user would then turn around to drop the badge off (I need about a ten foot range for the reader).

I've performed searches but found products in the extreme (to complex/expensive or requires badges to be within three inches of the reader) so I'm in need of some suggestions! :blush:

Thanks and I appreciate the help!

Your badge should be on a ring where another thing on the ring is someting that is easily detected such as the CheaperRFID units. The problem with this particular exit detection device is that its range is too far and the buzzer will be happening as people approach the exit

How about some of the anti-shoplifting tags & devices? I suspect that the detectors are too expensive for your use and I don't think they have 10 foot range.

How about attaching a DS10A to each badge and using an X-10 chime?

Or attach a large heavy object to each tag so people are eager to get rid of them?

LOL, the large and heavy approach is out as they do delicate work once inside. I DO like the idea of the anti-theft devices and will look into that more! Thanks :blush:

Problem with those anti theft tags (really is a great idea) is that the readers are expensive. Check out eBay and look for 'checkpoint anti theft', they start around $900. I can't think of an affordable passive tag solution that gives you a 10ft range. It's probably cheaper to have them give their keys or other security/access badge to you and they get it back when you get the badge back.

Problem with those anti theft tags (really is a great idea) is that the readers are expensive. Check out eBay and look for 'checkpoint anti theft', they start around $900. I can't think of an affordable passive tag solution that gives you a 10ft range. It's probably cheaper to have them give their keys or other security/access badge to you and they get it back when you get the badge back.

I was thinking the same line... take their drivers license or something valuable.

You could try to see if the existing access system allows asset tracking and invest in some asset tracking readers and fobs but it's not cheap.

Yea, the other problem is people have to go in and out of this room multiple times during a shift, so taking a driver's license or something like that really wouldn't work out.

Or, you could use the active RFID solution of your choice (a la Ananiah/Cheaper RFID) and, instead of pairing with a full blown PC, mate it with a serial Arduino (or other microcontroller of your choice). Then, when the tag's ID is "spit out" of the receiver, you could take that serial string and associate it with relay outputs via the microcontroller. Cheap, easy and should be effective.

For all the effort and cost to develop a solution that may or may not work well it would be cheaper to just buy a case of badges and accept the loss and put up a poster reminding people to drop off their badges. The CheaperRFID technology with inprecise range is just too slow for this type of application.

Ah, good point Michael as I did not know the CheaperRFID technology had a slow response time. FYI, I did put up a sign, but that didn't work (people are just to focused on the job task and have one track minds during this time). As for always replacing the badges, we could do that, but would constantly have to 'certify' the accountability on the person limit.

I use voice warnings and alerts as part of my Home Automation. I get computer voice announcements at times and/or conditions that I have programed (I use a simple AHP/CM15A and an old XP desktop (a simpler programmed device could be used as well) . There are several examples at my YouTube Channel.

A motion detector, door sensor, light beam, detection mat, [or any one of many ways] could be used to detect a person leaving [and like an advanced sign] remind the cardholder to return the card to the board.

Years ago; I looked at a system that AMS (Amsterdam-Schiphol Airport, NL) was utilizing which was impressive.

It was so impressive that I was asked to see if I could find out some more about it to implement it here for a specific airline.

The purpose of the system was to utilize RFID for passengers entering an airport; using small tags. Such that auto checkins for flights could be done as soon as said passenger entered the airport and said passenger's movements in the airport could be tracked.

I am not sure if the system is being utilized today or if it was a failure and abandoned.

Back