Simply Automated 3 Way Hook Up

Good news Shane94.

I just purchased a serial UPB device yesterday to be able to keep my USB UPD device by the office desktop computer for upstart. This one will be hooked up with HS. Noticed last night that one of my 3-way setups is basically a 1000watt switch with two regular switches (currently now Insteon). This one will be a bit different (kitchen is similiar with about 8 cans and two three ways) where the main switch will need to be able to hand the chandelier and the other two will just need to link to that one.

Wondering also regarding appliance UPB devices in that I am currently using very old X-10's for my 4 lighting transformers. (between 600-1200 watts each).

Pete,

If you are going to use "dual" PIMS...how are you going to get HS working properly? Change it in Upstart, replace the "export" file so HS can read it in, then start/stop the plugin?

Or just use the Upstart for reading?

--Dan

I use HS too. I origionally set about half the house up using a USB SA PIM. That will not work with HS. You must use a serial one. So what i did was got a serial pci card and installed it into my WHS machine. Installed HS on it and I just use termianl to log in and make adjustments to HS. If i need to add switches or set up new links or what not. All you have to do is turn off HS (or disable UPB plugin) then long into Upstart and make the changes. Resave the export and turn upstart off. Then turn back on HS and as long as you dont change the origional export name it updates with all the new information. Works good. :rofl: So moral of the story is if you are planing to use HS and SA stuff dont buy a USB PIM and waste 70 bucks like me :) Ebay here i come LOL

Dan -

Will be using 3 UPB PIMs. I set up my HS serial PIM yesterday. The first serial UPB PIM is connected to my Omni Pro II. The USB PIM will be just used for Upstart on whatever PC is in the house. I used the Upstart config export to HS for the HS plugin to work. Ideally a setup similiar to my X10 setup.

1 - HAI Omni Pro II will be used primarily to manage UPB switches
2 - HS for those "unique" events primarily and initially thru UPB PIM and secondarily thru HS to HAI panel connection.
3 - Upstart for base configs (which will work with HAI and HS).

Its easier for me to just use any PC in the house with the USB PIM with Upstart than to run Upstart on the HS server and export there.

Back