So close to being client-less

Yup on the 480p to 480i but I only own 1 TV capable of of displaying greater then 480i. Even still it's no biggy. If your setup were closer to your main area I would say try it with the marantz your rs232 controls will work just the same but the DVD being played will then be available to every client you have.

Yup on the Netflix in Sage currently only working on Windows clients.

Having DVD available on other TVs is biggie for my wife. She likes starting a movie while exercising (or whatever) and finish it somewhere else. More WAF for playing DVDs through Sage/Extenders :p

She likes starting a movie while exercising (or whatever) and finish it somewhere else.

Ah, now I see the difference. You don't live in NorCal, where housing is >$500/sqft *after* the bubble burst. Our "exercise room" is an elliptical & dumbell off to the side of our "home theater" which is really just a plasma & speakers wall-mounted in our "family room".

And all that in a 13' x 11' space to boot. We ain't got but 2 TVs in the house, the other being in the MBR, as we don't actually have any other rooms where we could put one. The living room is in the front of the house, visible from the street, 10' from the sidewalk, so no chance of us putting electronics where the bad guys can walk up and examine through the curtains.

A few weeks into the HD100/no-HTPC, and life is settling in. I had to tweak the CQC IR-receipt logic to be a little tighter when it receives the MX850 signal, so the remote is a little more intelligent about being context-sensitive.

1) One of the RAID5 disks died, I didn't notice for a few days and couldn't figure out why SageTV-live TV or recent recordings weren't working. Once I noticed the tiny little system tray icon that said "raid error", I got another disk and let the array rebuild itself. Damn well took 28 hours, but it's now fine.

2) I'm debating my "use a megachanger for rarely watched DVDs" as it is a little PITA to turn on the touchpanel just to select a DVD. 1TB hard drives are getting pretty darn cheap, and I could swap out the RAID5 500GB x 3 array with a 1TB x 4 array, not increase power costs by that much (~$2/month). I would have to learn how to break the 2TB filesystem limit as that would be a 3TB array. It would also take *days* for when a disk dies, so i'd need a 2nd SageTV recording location in case that happens in the middle of a "Lost" season.

I also just got the HD-PVR installed, still need to connect it to Sage. If that works, my hard disk consumption will go through the roof as much more will be at the 10GB/hour for HD versus 2GB/hour for SD.

A few weeks into the HD100/no-HTPC, and life is settling in. I had to tweak the CQC IR-receipt logic to be a little tighter when it receives the MX850 signal, so the remote is a little more intelligent about being context-sensitive.

1) One of the RAID5 disks died, I didn't notice for a few days and couldn't figure out why SageTV-live TV or recent recordings weren't working. Once I noticed the tiny little system tray icon that said "raid error", I got another disk and let the array rebuild itself. Damn well took 28 hours, but it's now fine.

2) I'm debating my "use a megachanger for rarely watched DVDs" as it is a little PITA to turn on the touchpanel just to select a DVD. 1TB hard drives are getting pretty darn cheap, and I could swap out the RAID5 500GB x 3 array with a 1TB x 4 array, not increase power costs by that much (~$2/month). I would have to learn how to break the 2TB filesystem limit as that would be a 3TB array. It would also take *days* for when a disk dies, so i'd need a 2nd SageTV recording location in case that happens in the middle of a "Lost" season.

I also just got the HD-PVR installed, still need to connect it to Sage. If that works, my hard disk consumption will go through the roof as much more will be at the 10GB/hour for HD versus 2GB/hour for SD.

What hardware are you using for the Raid array? External or internal??

Internal. It's on the mobo, one of the Intel chipsets (I think it's ICH8R)

I just ordered 5 1TB drives, I'm not sure the internal can handle a 5drive RAID5 though. It may only go up to 4 disk RAID5...

IVB,

I guess that woudl depend how many SATA ports you have on the Mobo...

I don't tihnk i'll use RAID for the sage video storage...since the server woudl also function for CQC and general file serving i think i will run Raid 1 for 2 OS + Program drives and then a few large non raid drives for all the video..

Well, i'm using the 4TB RAID for TV & DVD. I'm ditching my changer since it'll be far simpler to stick with the HDExtender for playback rather than deal with DVD distribution, so there'll be 150+DVDs ripped. Not only would it suck to re-rip those, my kids would make my life a living hell if I lost all their Dora/Diego/WonderPets, or the wife with her stupid reality shows that only broadcast once.

I ended up getting an LSI card for the RAID as someone pointed out that if my mobo dies, the RAID array goes with it unless I get a dead duplicate. With a hardware card I can just move it to another box.

I read the thread title and thought the economy must be crushing you. Alas, I was wrong. Good...although, there's not a question in my mind that you, IVB, could switch careers in a heartbeat. If you ever feel like punishing hours, medium pay grade and a boss who uses the F word like others use "and", I'd hire you in a heartbeat. Plus, Denver is flippin' great and a hell of a lot cheaper than Oakland.

Heh, I did a couple of 2 month stints in the Denver Tech Center back in winter '95 & Winter '96. It certainly was awesome, even though Boulder (where my buddies lived) was in their words "A fat farm gone awry"...

Back