speaker wiring w/ CAV 6.6, what's needed?

v1rtu0s1ty

Senior Member
Here is the drawing. What do you think about this guys? By the way, this is just for pure audio/video.

I'm planning to distribute Comcast Digital but it's not the high def. It's OK for me to see the same channels all throughout the house. If you look at the drawing in the FAMILY ROOM and LOFT, I don't have a label on the wire from CAV6.6 to the Plasma TV. What should it be?

http://restricted.dyndns.org/target/cav66_and_wiring.jpg
cav66_and_wiring.jpg
 

v1rtu0s1ty

Senior Member
toymaster458 said:
Option 4:

Same as Option 3 but add another Cat5 and a 18/2

This way you can have a Keypad, Touch Screen or a Rad-I/O along with an Intercom location.

Option 5:

Same as Option 4 or 3 but add a cat5 from the keypad to the TV location so you can extend the IR on the Keypad to the TV. This way you do not have to point a IR Remote at the Keypad when you are using the Video fuctions of the CAV on the TV. You can point at the TV. That is if you use a Russound Advanced Keypad.
Hi toymaster, is the 18/2 you mentioned a solid or stranded?
 

pkoslow

Active Member
Attached is a photo that shows a trick to split one pair out of 16/4 speaker wire to run to the second speaker. You basically run from your amp to the nearest speaker, cut the jacket to remove 1 pair and then run the next speaker.

You'd normally wrap the exposed condutors that continue with electrical tape for protection.

Cheers,
Paul
PS. Belden 5205UE pictured...
 

Attachments

  • Split_16_4.jpg
    Split_16_4.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 10

pkoslow

Active Member
I was able to JPG the CAV wiring diagram and shrink it enough to try and attach...

-EDIT- Doesn't look like much detail came through, much of the wiring dissapeared...
 

Attachments

  • CAV6.6_Wiring.jpg
    CAV6.6_Wiring.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 46

v1rtu0s1ty

Senior Member
pkoslow said:
Attached is a photo that shows a trick to split one pair out of 16/4 speaker wire to run to the second speaker. You basically run from your amp to the nearest speaker, cut the jacket to remove 1 pair and then run the next speaker.

You'd normally wrap the exposed condutors that continue with electrical tape for protection.

Cheers,
Paul
PS. Belden 5205UE pictured...
THAT IS SWEET! I never thought of that. ;)
 

v1rtu0s1ty

Senior Member
hey guys,

Can you please send me an online reliable store to where I can buy a 16/4 speaker wire? AO doesn't have them.

Thanks,

Neil
 

IVB

Senior Member
Sorry, was busy all day, do you have any open questions for me still?

On the 16/4, did you try emailing markertek to see if they'd hook you up?
 

ellisr63

Active Member
upstatemike said:
IVB said:
That's true. In my case, no speakers are more than 5' apart, as I centered them within the room [1/3 in on each side]. I don't have rooms that are 15' wide, so that's the max. What I did was to run the sleeve to the center, so that the exposed run was only 2.5' wide max.
Normally you don't run exposed speaker wire within a room. You put a plate behind each speaker. The feed goes to the plate behind the first speaker and another wire feeds from the first plate to the second plate inside the wall. There should not be any exposed wires at all.
Are you talking about a speaker face plate with jacks on it?
I just had a box put in and then put a cable outlet face plate on and removed the jack... pulled the wire through and hooked it to the speaker. On my amp end I do use speaker jack plates though.
 

v1rtu0s1ty

Senior Member
ellisr63 said:
upstatemike said:
IVB said:
That's true. In my case, no speakers are more than 5' apart, as I centered them within the room [1/3 in on each side]. I don't have rooms that are 15' wide, so that's the max. What I did was to run the sleeve to the center, so that the exposed run was only 2.5' wide max.
Normally you don't run exposed speaker wire within a room. You put a plate behind each speaker. The feed goes to the plate behind the first speaker and another wire feeds from the first plate to the second plate inside the wall. There should not be any exposed wires at all.
Are you talking about a speaker face plate with jacks on it?
I just had a box put in and then put a cable outlet face plate on and removed the jack... pulled the wire through and hooked it to the speaker. On my amp end I do use speaker jack plates though.
It's ok Ellisir, Paul has shown a trick on how to do it. But I know what you're talking about too and it doesn't answer my quesion. Good idea though. ;)
 

v1rtu0s1ty

Senior Member
ellisr63 said:
v1rtu0s1ty said:
hey guys,

Can you please send me an online reliable store to where I can buy a 16/4 speaker wire? AO doesn't have them.

Thanks,

Neil
Try this.. You can bid on it and save some money too..
http://www.smarthome.com/8515.HTML
I would never buy a Monster cable as they are overpriced like Bose systems. ;) I only need simple 16/4 speaker wire since the speakers that I will be putting isn't going to be for home theater, just for relaxing music. As long as it meets the inwall specs, UL/CL, etc, I'm good with that. I'm going to contact Markettek.
 

upstatemike

Senior Member
ellisr63 said:
Are you talking about a speaker face plate with jacks on it?
I just had a box put in and then put a cable outlet face plate on and removed the jack... pulled the wire through and hooked it to the speaker. On my amp end I do use speaker jack plates though.
It does not matter if you use a jack or just push the two wires out of a hole in the faceplate. The point is that the jacket stays on the wire until it is right behind the speaker. The splice for the wire going to the second speaker is done in the box (or mud ring, or in-wall speaker backbox, or open space behind the in-wall speaker) and that linking wire has a jacket on it as well. Paul's trick does this automatically since it is done right at the first speaker.
 

pkoslow

Active Member
Shipping will always be spendy on this type of wire due to the weight. I'd recommend trying to find a local source. If you're in a metro area with a home center, you may look there. The Home Depot here stocks CL-2 rated 16/2 & 16/4 speaker wire but not sure if they all do?

There's also likely a electric supply company within easy driving distance. Not all will sell retail, but some will if you ask even if they don't advertise. Greybar http://www.graybar.com has some Il locations and will sell to retail customers at the counter. Check to see if there is one close by. They don't always stock this stuff, so call first as they can order it in within a couple days.

Cheers,
Paul
 
Top