speech synthesis module?

signal15

Does anyone know of a small module that I can plug into the network, and then send text to a port and have it speak it though a line out?

I could probably get a little embedded linux box with audio built into it and then use Festival/Flite to do this, but it might just be easier to buy something if it's around.

I bought a Vera Lite, and I'm moving all of my rules off of my M1 to the Vera, but I need to be able to get the Vera to be able to do voice announcements. This way, I could just write some LUA code that would allow me to send the voice to a UDP socket over the network to my voice module plugged that is hooked to the line-in on the elk.

I've got an old laptop, but I'd rather not have to run a full laptop for something like this, and none of my servers in my rack have audio cards.

I don't know of anything off the shelf but it sounds like a good application for a raspberry pi board.

Terry

Turns out, someone wrote this. It's on the Android Market and it's called "Vera Alerts". Going to test it out in the next few days.

The nice thing is, there are a ton of voices for Android. Amy from IVONA is pretty awesome. It will be a welcome change from the 50 year old smoker that speaks through my Elk. :)

How about using a mobile device with voice recognition/speech which you can also provide visual feedback too. Eliminates installing micro phones in every room, eliminates the background noise problem since the devices have multiple micro phones for noise cancellation, you have a mobile device always within reach, all it takes is $35 and your time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXmCiaRc9XU

Elvis

Back