Square D Clipsal as an alternate to Colorado vNet

C-Bus does sound great, but if you aren't allowed to buy the hardware and install it yourself, I think it might be out of reach for most Cocooners. Wish they would change their mind on that one.

Agreed. I am very much of the opinion of "why pay someone else for something I can do myself", besides learning & installing the technology is fun and you get to enjoy the fruits of your labor. Also, if it breaks, I don't have to call in someone to fix it -- I probably already know the issue or can find out from the great community we have here.

I believe there is room for both an Approved Installer Program and your DIYer as you would find on Cocoontech. That said I am not suggesting that wiring codes anywhere be broken. In my case I acquired my C-Bus gear from and authorised reseller, this dealer is an online dealer here in Australia. The price I paid was trade price or so which is about 20%-% off the "end user price". The reseller here qualified my ability to implement the C-Bus system as they are responsible to value add and not sell boxes. That's OK.....as I see it the majority of the community here would meet the same cirteria. I think Square-D needs to appreciate the quality (and size) of the HA community and that opening the product up so that is competitively sourced by DIYer that know what they are doing will add a layer to C-Bus integration into the US market.

I planned out my complete HA design and engaged a qualified electrician to wire all the loads to the output units and I completed the programming and integration of C-Bus into my HA system. It was the fact that I was able to "get my hands dirty" as a DIYer that made C-Bus my lighting and power control system of choice. If the model is different in the US then I strongly suggest Square-D modify the model. The fact is folks here on this forum WILL adopt a system that they can implement themselves, this will continue to let competing products into opportunities that C-Bus could have.

Getting C-Bus into the quality of the HA systems that appear in our community could only have a positive spin for C-Bus in the US.

I have included some snaps of my installation.

I love C-Bus as you can probably sense in my posts and would like to see it's success in the US as it has here in Australia. I hope that fellow Cocooner's can enjoy the system as we are ......my input for hat it is worth.

Regards,

Fleetz

Attachments

• 6_can_covered.jpg
    6_can_covered.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 75
3 photos ...didn't realise there is a single 100K per post limit.

Attachments

• 6_cans.jpg
    6_cans.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 55
Nice + Tidy install Fleetz...

Your sparkie did a nice job there....Are those terminal fuses at the top of the CBUS can..???

Frank

Nice + Tidy install Fleetz...

Your sparkie did a nice job there....Are those terminal fuses at the top of the CBUS can..???

Frank

Hi Frank,

Thanks. I actually did all internal wiring on all C-Bus and HA cans....sparky took one look at what I had done in the C-Bus can and signed it off. No way would a sparky go to that much trouble! ;)

Yes they are terminal fuses at the top. They are from Phoenix Connectors, they have a bezel in them and illuminate if one of the internal M205 fuse go. Really neat. Took me awhile to locate the right solution but really happy with the out come. Don't have the part number to hand but if you want me to track it down I will for you. Not cheap as I recall but I was after a solution and price was secondary.

I have each output unit on seperate RCD therefore I had to put protected neutrals in modifying the standard neutral bars on the Clipsal can. That way if I do get a trip I can easily isolate which output unit is the seeing the problem and the using the terminate fuses isolate the loads on the output unit. Have not had to use that design feature yet but when and if I do it will be a breeze to locate the problem.

Wanted to show Square-D what people in this community are capable of doing.

Cheers,

Fleetz

C-Bus does sound great, but if you aren't allowed to buy the hardware and install it yourself, I think it might be out of reach for most Cocooners. Wish they would change their mind on that one.

Electron and TXFlatlander,

Don't jump to the conclusion that you won't be allowed to access Square D Clipsal. Call or e mail me if you have a specific project in mind.

Also, the answer to the software protocol question is on the link posted above. Thanks, FrankMc

I just spoke with our product manager who tells me that while he has not yet formally assigned a stock number for the Wiser Home Controller, it is available as of Jan.1.2010.

There's more information about it on our new website, www.mySEhome.com as well.

I worked with Clipsal in 2007 to do a DIY install, and since then, they have directed me to a distributor for "parts" which has been no problem. The clipsal tool kit is VERY easy to learn and work with and the interface with the ELK is awesome.

Jeez, looking at Fleetz photos, I gotta go and clean up my cans!

Back