Steve's Sisters Install

Steve

I thought I'd show off the install I did for my sister. I will describe it here briefly but follow the link at the bottom to see all the pictures.

The install is an M1G with 2 KP2 keypads. It uses an input expander, data bus hub, relay board, ethernet adapter, doorbell detector and surge suppressor from Elk Products. All of the structured wiring stuff is from Channel Vision as are the IR hub and DSL filter (CV Pro). Miscellaneous DSL modem, Netgear 5 port switch and Leviton high gain cable splitter with a bunch of miscellaneous strips, tape, cable, tie wraps, etc. Here are some highlights of what was done.

Removed old system from attic
Cleaned up and rerouted some old wiring
Installed cans in closet with conduit up into attic
Ran a bunch of new wires for smokes, keypads, speakers. motions, glass breaks, sirens, phone, garage, doorbell, etc.
Installed the can components mostly on plates with plastic standoffs
Installed keypads
Installed PIR, Glass Break and Smoke in each room
Installed 2 Channel Vision speakers on Output 1
Installed 2 piezo screamers
Installed Siren
Replace all window contacts with mini contacts and rerouted a bunch of the window wires
Installed a Russound IR receiver to talk back to the IR hub which connects to a receiver in the closet
Hooked up basic audio speakers inside and out remote from receiver
Rewired whole house with RG6 QS for cable tv
Replaced almost all phone and cable jacks with Leviton Quick Ports
Installed 12 UPB switches and 3 in line modules
Removed doorbell and intercept it to play an announcement via the M1
Installed DSL filtered and ethernet network
Labelled all wires

I think that was pretty much the bulk of it. A few things left to do are program for central station, some outdoor work like motions and lights and some tweaking of programming, etc.

For now, besides the automated lighting, there is garage door open/close via the keypad with indicator (F4 in picture), logic for doorbell and voice on/off, several rules for the 8 buttons on the tabletop controller, etc. I will be adding programming as my sister lives in he house and figures out what she wants. But she is very happy for now and thats what counts!

Please comment or ask questions in my comment thread.

I hope to be rewiring/expanding my system in the next few months as that is my window for doing attic work without getting heatstroke!

The completed install pictures are here.

Feel free to back up a level to see some of the preliminary and work in progress pictures. I'll probably add a few from time to time and note it in the comment thread. Enjoy...

It's more than a nice looking install - it is a "great" looking install Steve. :p

We did a rebuilt of our home this summer after a spring tornado rearranged things and I was happy to clean up and relocate a bunch of things. I can't figure out why everyone likes to terminate things like TV splitters/amplifiers, telephone etc. in the attic down here (Missouri). I have a long way to completion, but it's nice to have everything down in the garage and in conduits.

Your installation is an inspiration.

John

Hi Steve,

Nice job, very good work, well thought out.

How many hours do you have into it?

Do you do this for a living?

A pro, job

THANK FOR THE PICTURES,
Tim

How many hours do you have into it?
Too many! Seriously, I did not really track my time but I do tend to work slow. And since it was my sister moving into a new place I was often sidetracked to help with other stuff. If I had to hazard a guess I would say maybe 40-60 hours but it's hard to say because it was some days, some nights, some weekends spread over a month or two.. There was a good amount of cable pulling which I actually had a buddy (low voltage pro) help me with because he is an 'attic monkey' and can get to spots I only dream of.
Do you do this for a living?
No, but I would love to be in the biz professionally. Maybe after I retire from the IT drudgery.

Thanks for the kind words.

Wow Steve, your sister is VERY lucky!!!

I have an OnQ panel, but it looks like a piece of junk compared to your work.

That ELK key panel looks so hi-tech, it makes my talking Ademco keypad look positively ancient.

Man I wish I had someone as experienced as you to do something similar for me. :p

Back