Sticker shock on Elk expansion

All the above is why I aborted my plan 4-5 years ago.
It just all seems so much like a hassle...everybody is stitching together multiple systems.
All the systems promise the world and then of coarse you find out that it's a lot of puffery.
Maybe I'l just send back the Elk and buy a Dog.
The only problem is I hate dogs.

From Vera site.....

But if you’re a tech enthusiast, Vera 3s’ advanced setup capabilities will be a lot of fun; among other things, you can set it up for universal IR control of your entertainment system, and the ability to bridge with virtually any control platform (Z-Wave, Insteon, Serial, X-10, etc.).

Does vera talk directly to insteon end devices like light controllers and such or does it have to go through an insteon controllerlike a  ISY994i?

Making multiple systems work together is rather the norm for home automation.

I've got products from ELK, Elan, Axis, Global Cache, RCS, HAI, OnQ, GE, Bosch, EnGenius, Ubiquiti, SonicWall, HP, Denon, Marantz, Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, LG, Oppo, Dune, Netgear and more.

If you want one stop shopping then you might like Crestron but it will give sticker shock new meaning for you.

ncgoober said:
From Vera site.....

But if you’re a tech enthusiast, Vera 3s’ advanced setup capabilities will be a lot of fun; among other things, you can set it up for universal IR control of your entertainment system, and the ability to bridge with virtually any control platform (Z-Wave, Insteon, Serial, X-10, etc.).

Does vera talk directly to insteon end devices like light controllers and such or does it have to go through an insteon controllerlike a  ISY994i?

The only radio in a Vera is Wifi, and Z-wave.  It will not directly talk to an Insteon device.  However, I believe there's a dongle for Insteon, which will make it talk directly.  Otherwise, there are a ton of plugins that talk to all sorts of stuff.  (http://apps.mios.com has a list of them)

As for the serial ports, I only have one usb->serial adapter right now.  But other people are using hubs with multiples, and some of them are using this 4-port ethernet->serial adapters instead.  However, I forget the brand/model of that ethernet thing.

There's a different between stitching together pieces and integrating components - especially if you have direct connections vs. running over a network that may fail or change.  

There's also the old adage about using the right tool for the job... Vera is about automation - Elk is about security.  Neither one replaces the other, though both can pretend to do the job of the other (just not as well).

True integration comes about when you can choose the right tool for each job and can seamlessly tie them together.

If you want to involve authorities in your security, you need a real security system.   Forgoing monitoring is a thread in itself which will identify you (the self-monitorer) as the weakest link... and trying to have a rigged system of sensor monitored just isn't going to happen in any legal fashion.

Here I base my security stuff on an HAI OPII panel. 

In the 1980's I was privy to be able to utilize a primary security panel with added TTS and X10 connectivity.  I had already been using X10 from the 1970's. 

Starting in the late 1990's went to using mostly software for the automation keeping the alarm panel still as a separate piece.

Then in the 2000's went to installing the HAI OPII panel which primarily was utilized for security and had the ability to connect to automation devices.

From the early 2000's to current time I have been using both the HAI OPII panel and automation software.

The panel though is principally utilized for security. Over the years playing with software I would still today not depend on my software automation for any primary security stuff; but that is my opinion based on playing with software over the years.

The current combination for me allows me to have the best of both worlds without having to "reinvent the wheel"

That said you can DIY  / stitch together a hodgepodge of hardware and software wired or wireless that will serve your needs just fine.  It sounds to me like you have the knowledge base to do this.

.....and relating to life safety stuff; its your life and your safety.

Back