Sub Panel for Elk M1Gold

I am in the final stages of the ruff in for my Elk. I have decided to put a sub panel in the garage for later expansion. I will most likely put a 16 zone and a relay module for my sprinkler system.

My questions are what type and how many wires should I run from my main wiring closet? Also how big should I make the sub-panel box?

Thanks for the help. Ben

benjmurray said:
My questions are what type and how many wires should I run from my main wiring closet? Also how big should I make the sub-panel box?

Thanks for the help. Ben
No way to put in conduit and put in a poly rope for a later pull? Is it just alarm/sprinklers or are you thinking about telco, catv, etc. in the garage? I have found when it comes to enclosures, the bigger the better.

1 18/4 for the databus, 1 18/2 at least for the power. I happen to have a keypad at my main panel location, so I had to run a 3rd 18/4 so i could hook in that keypad to the data bus hub located at the 2ndary panel.

For the subpanel, depends on how many wires and boards are in it. I ran most of my wiring there, and am finding that a 28" box is ok, but I get jealous when I see these guys with the 42".

You may want to consider eventually putting in a 2nd power source with battery backup there, in which case you'd only need the one 18/4 for data bus.

BTW, dont' put smoke's on that 2ndary panel. But, if you absolutely must, you'd want an 18/4 for power as you'd use 2 for VAUX and 2 for SAUX. (switched)

I can't find the thread now, but somewhere on this forum one of the smarter members said that I should run everything to the main board. The specific reasons elude me right now, but it sounded like even with an EOL resistor, 2ndary panels with smokes were a bad idea.

I'll see if I can find that thread, but it sounds like you disagree with that.

Thanks all

I'll try to get some conduit to the sub panel location. It looks like it will be hard with some of the sheet rock and block I have in the way.
Ben

The only time you would need to run the smokes from the main controller would be if they were 2 wire (since they have to go to zone 16) in my opinion.

If you use 4 wire smokes off of the zone expander which is remotely located you have to run your SVAUX to that remote can as well. Also the power for the zone expander must either come from the VAUX of the panel or a supplementary power supply with adequete battery backup. I would also supervise the power of the supplementary power supply (energize a relay with the L.V. AC feeding the PS unit and put the contacts across a zone etc). Although with the elk if you lose an exapansion module you get a communication failure indication but by then your battery is dead also.

Dont forget to use end of line supervision relays on your 4 wire smoke zones.

Back